Rust server

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Rust server

Post by Joose »

The rust server got its update, which means the map got reset. This seems like an excellent opportunity to dick with the settings.

The two main ones are decay rate and map seed. Decay rate is currently set to 1, which seems a bit harsh. Do people want me to turn it down or off entirely?

The map is basically the same as the first map because it is using the default seed. I can change this if you want (obviously this would mean another map reset). Yay or neigh?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Rust server

Post by Dog Pants »

Current decay rate seems a bit harsh. Twiglet walls will die in, what, about 24 hours? Maybe half it to give people chance to not have their shit collapse (although a better way to do that would be to not build your shit out of twiglets).

I've hardly explored the map we have so I'm happy to stick with it. I've not logged on yet, but I expect Berk to have already built a Large Hadron Collider.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

That was on the 1st world, the output was randomly targeted at neighbours.

2nd world was a house buried in 2 mesas, with no traps at all.

3rd is a sleeping bag, currently.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

As the map is being reset tomorrow and we've agreed to go for a new map altogether we thought we'd try something a bit more attacking for those who want it. Obviously this will need rules following so people who don't want to get involved don't get killed so I was thinking there could be designated areas where no attacking is allowed or have signs up on or near the houses that says if they can be attacked or not (signs saying attack is fine is likely to rule out any accidents). Suggestions!

Times of day/night or RL times when attaacking can happen
Only attacking when online unless the person says so
Safe houses are not allowed to be attacked but only one allowed
Traps are fine
Turrets are fine
Any other suggestions?
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Guys, guys. Just build a colosseum.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I think that would be a good plan too. The spectators can chuck weapons in during the fights :)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Or no wait! Thunderdome!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

You could do it like EvE and its sec ratings. Like:

Far east of the map, no killings at all.
Between these two landmarks between the middle and the east, no killing when offline or in safehouses
Between these two landmarks between the middle and the west, no killing when offline
far west, all bets are off, do what the fuck you like.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Or, simpler, just make the landmarks a rules free zone? Depends on how many people want pvp compared to those that dont really. If more people want killings then it would make sense to make most of the map dangerous with designated safe zones, but if more people want safety then you would want it the other way around. With DANGERZONES.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I vote for safe zone(s) with murder everywhere else
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

How about... we bung creative mode on for a bit to build a high stone wall area about the size of Belgium, thus creating a DMZ in which no fuckers can get bummed, additionally we can stick door codes on all the doors to keep most of the randoms out.

I'm happy to spend a few hours on it (as I'm sure fab and others are) so there can be a pretty large safe area.

Outside? basically bastard mode engage (within reason) :)
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

That would be a great idea, if creative mode in rust was an easy thing to achieve. It isnt.

How about using the different terrains as delineating points? Doesnt help with randoms, obviously, but it would be reasonably easy for us to have a "desert = safe zone" rule or something.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

OK, having looked at the server commands, how about this for a plan:

1) After the patch, reset the server to a new map
2) via console commands, give everyone instant building and huge amounts of wall building materials
3) leave it a day or so to build a giant metal wall to section off a safe zone
4) once that is done, delete all the player data from the server, resetting everyones inventory and progress
5)...
6) Profit

If this works we should have a new server, with a walled off safe zone but otherwise everyone starting from scratch. Any objections?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Fine by me.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

So can I just ask:
If no monuments are within this wall and I want to go have a look around one will I then be open game?
If people want to kill other people can they not just go on to other servers?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I wasn't going to say anything because I wasn't planning on playing Rust again until something interesting happened, but for what it's worth I concur with Pnut. 5punk-on-5punk PvP is not something I want.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I'm pretty easy either way to be quite honest, we were just talking about stuff to liven it up a bit.

One of the ideas was to make a specific lootable box in bases (if you want to) to give people a bit of a challenge to break in, make houses out of traps and evil for fun.

but obviously,, opt in rather than out.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That sounds fun actually. Like Castle Doctrine. As I say, I wasn't going to be playing Rust for a bit so I don't care either way. Although I would play to run a gauntlet of death.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I guess we've probably all got bored of this, there are a few people on there, most of whom are content to do their own thing. A couple of kids though have pretty much stolen everything that isn't locked away, which to my mind is less "raiding" and more "being a dick". Culprits aren't certain, but the guys on there pretty much said it was maestro and odenblob, a couple of 13-year-olds, apparently Victor3101 is odenblob's older (16) brother and while himself isn't guilty, he had let his sibling use his account.

Up to you guys whether to do organise an attack, kick/ban them or not do anything.