Fallout 4

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Joose »

The workshop mode controls are a bit of a ballache.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

From a reddit thread of mostly spoiler free tips:

- Hold Down Shift to use WASD for Crafting and Dialogue options instead of the Arrow Keys for the PC Version. (Holy shit this is useful)
- You can turn sideways to squeeze through tight openings.
- If you're against a corner and you aim down the sights you will peek around the wall. That's the new cover system.
- At your weapons or armor bench you can tag the certain components you need with T. The appropriate items you find in the world will be marked with a magnifying glass.
- You can equip Dogmeat with things like goggles, bandanas and a teddy.

Anyone else got some?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Joose wrote: - Hold Down Shift to use WASD for Crafting and Dialogue options instead of the Arrow Keys for the PC Version. (Holy shit this is useful)
Oh fuck yes this is exactly what i was looking for, my arrow keys are fucked and this has been the one thing to get on my nerves so far so i might actually go have a proper look at the crafting now.

Thinking about it Ive not played much yet but the game hasn't actually "introduced" the crafting side of things to me at all, I just stumbled across some different workbenches and scrapped a bunch of wheels lying around the road, i somewhat feel like Ive jumped the gun getting into it but that could just be because of games hand holding too much these days.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Yeah, this game doesnt really hand hold at all in certain areas. The crafting information is pretty much "oh you can craft by the way. Im sure you can figure it out."
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Joose wrote:Yeah, this game doesnt really hand hold at all in certain areas. The crafting information is pretty much "oh you can craft by the way. Im sure you can figure it out."
i got a bit further in and yeah it does have a dude that says there's a crafting station, go build a thing for me and just leaves you to figure it out. its pretty simple i just found it odd that i hadn't had a person who said thats a crafting station, go do stuff with it but it was the next thing that happened
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I read earlier today that we're not getting Steam Workshop support, and that Bethesda have their own mod website they'll be pimping instead. Bit worrying, as BethSoft were the ones who cajoled Valve into doing that failed paid mod experiment. Hopefully they won't do a cease and desist on sites like Nexusmods if they feel their profits are being threatened.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

They were also the ones that did the horse armour for oblivion, never forget.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I might be playing too much, but I swear the dog is talking.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I don't have this, but I have seen this incredibly well looped gif

And an interesting post that goes along with it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That is an interesting point. My most beloved memory of Skyrim was filling the tiger wizard's bedroom with skulls. You could argue character design led to that - I found him to be such an annoying twat that I wanted to troll him. That post actually makes me more interested in playing the game.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I would argue its a different kind of storytelling.

The Bethesda games have always been about trying to simulate a fictional world. They fall short of actually achieving that, obviously, but its still closer to that goal than any other RPG. This means that the players are generating thier own stories in that world, rather than being told a story by the writers as in more traditional RPGs. The quests that it includes are just frameworks for you to build your stories around, or to ignore entirely if you prefer.

In most traditional RPGs like Pillars of Eternity you will be presented with a problem and have maybe a half dozen different ways of solving the problem, all of which were designed by the games creators. In Bethesda RPGs You are given a set of rules of how the world works, presented with a problem, and left to deal with it however you want.

Having said that, the actual writing in Bethesda games tends to be pretty poor. Shada and I were talking earlier about how daft the faction quests are: "We only met you five minutes ago, and you have only really done one thing for us, and you look like a random wasteland nutter, but because you agreed to join us we will trust you with all our stuff!"

Having said that I did a quest earlier today that had writing that was at turns touching, surprising and extremely creepy. It was only a short sidequest, but it was brilliant.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't think Bethesda's games are any closer to simulating a living world than GTA or Stalker. That's a significant part of my disappointment with Skyrim - it promises so much, but the experience is pretty shallow. Like Deus Ex with a vast quest hub rather than a living world - lots of little open-ended set-pieces, but nothing really changes in the world.

On the other hand, it's a game I'm not really sold on that I've spent 77 Steam Hours playing. That's a pretty good measure of success in itself.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

So after playing Fallout 3 again for a few hours and flailing wildly with mods, trying a different play style and wishing it was prettier, I caved. I didn't pay £40 for it (cheers to the commenter on PCGN who pasted the 15% off voucher for GMG) and I'll probably never finish it, but my interest has been piqued enough to give it a go. I'll be trying out playing it how I want to play it, rather than how I feel it expects to be played. So easy mode and fast travel this time, then I can feel like a god wandering the wastelands, without having to actually do any wandering unless I want to.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I also caved yesterday and bought this. I'm enjoying the town building/crafting (which is much easier than I thought it was going to be), but so far not much feels different to Fallout 3.

Tip: the Lone Wanderer perk doesn't recognise Dogmeat as a companion, so you still get the benefits of it with him around.

And by christ are some of the graphics ugly as fuck.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

This is how I'm going to avoid the rot this time:

The Wasteland Adventures of Gary Busey.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

It is worth the dosh as is? Getting tempted.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

father dougal and mrs doyle
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:lol: You've managed to capture the vacant expression beautifully!
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

:lol: :lol:
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Not sure if this was mentioned in that Reddit post, but to set up a supply line between settlements go in to construction view, find an unassigned settler, then press the button to set up a supply line. You can now share resources across all your settlements making it much easier to build things.