Total Warhammer

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Total Warhammer

Post by Joose »

Is apparently a thing that might actually happen. I am pleased!

Other non-historical Total Wars I would like include: 40K, Mass Effect, Hell (no particular franchise in mind, just think it would be interesting), Marvel (ive no idea how that would work, I just want the opportunity to be Doom).
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Re: Total Warhammer

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I have no real knowledge or interest in the warhammer world but I really like total war games so this might as well serve as an introduction. Total war is pretty restricted to swords and bows settings though, the only total war games that have guns in them were all from periods were guns are shit.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Total war is pretty restricted to swords and bows settings though, the only total war games that have guns in them were all from periods were guns are shit.
I dont think that is intrinsic to the game though. I can see how that would be a problem if you were trying to model a realistic modern setting, but nothing about 40k reflects real, modern combat. Because of its tabletop wargaming roots it is all about a large number of people smashing into each other in quite a small area. I think you could make that work in the Total War engine with only minor changes.

To be honest though, for me Total War has always been about the Big Map. The fights themselves were a minor distraction that I more often than not autoresolve. I realise I might not be the average TW player in that regard.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Joose wrote:I dont think that is intrinsic to the game though. I can see how that would be a problem if you were trying to model a realistic modern setting, but nothing about 40k reflects real, modern combat. Because of its tabletop wargaming roots it is all about a large number of people smashing into each other in quite a small area. I think you could make that work in the Total War engine with only minor changes.
I don't know enough about warhammer to waylay that claim but I have no problems with seeing the comfort zone of the series expand, I've always wanted a WWI setting personally.
Joose wrote:To be honest though, for me Total War has always been about the Big Map. The fights themselves were a minor distraction that I more often than not autoresolve. I realise I might not be the average TW player in that regard.
You're not, the diplomatic part and the battle part are so different that many people prefer one over the other. I always do my own battles early on when they're still quite small but as soon as I start with the big battles I tend to autoresolve as well, it takes up a lot of time and I'm known to make major strategic mistakes. Siege defence battles I love though, don't know why.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I get the impression this is more likely to be Warhammer Fantasy than 40K. In which case yay for that, because Shadow of the Horned Rat was a great (if utterly fucking nails) game, but also boo because I completely suck at Total War games and wouldn't enjoy it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:I get the impression this is more likely to be Warhammer Fantasy than 40K.
Oh yeah, this totally is. I only mentioned 40k as something I would like to happen at some point in the future.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Yes, this could be interesting. Total War Medieval but with added Chaos and magic. Fun :)