Endless Leg Ends

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Endless Leg Ends

Post by Joose »

Me and Grimmie just finished a game, the two of us and two AI, and it was most excellent. Its possible that some of my enjoyment comes from sniping victory from the hands of Grimmie with a sudden, one turn backstab. :)

We had worked together all game, and between us had taken out one of the two AI opponents. However, one of the victory conditions is destroying a certain number of capital cities (in a game of four players you need to have taken out two). Grimmie saw this as a race to see which of us could kill the remaining AI capital first. As he had the majority of his army on their continent and I had only a small horse there, he was confident. I led my small horse to the AI city.

"Oh, I see what you are doing there Joose."
"Do you?"
"You are trying to get the last city before me."
"Am I? AM I?"

[Joose has declared war on Grimmie]

"Oh, hello Grimmies capital city!"

You see, I was playing as the Cultists. Their main method of recruiting military is to convert the small villages that dot the land, who then spit out a free unit for me every dozen turns. I had nearly all the villages on our continent. They had been spitting out units most of the game, and although I had sent the bulk of those free units over to the other continent, that was many turns ago and I hadn't bothered sending reinforcements. I had spotted that Grimmie would easily be able to snatch the last AI city from me, so the only option left to me was to take out Grimmies capital first. To that end I massed my now sizeable army of brainwashed villagers just outside his city. It took me bloody ages, but they arrived *just* in time. They crushed his doods. I felt bad. It felt awesome.

To be fair, it was a bloody close thing. I suspect I only had a turn or two to get his city; If I had waited just one more turn or if I hadn't managed to take him unawares he could very well have beaten me.

This game is bloody awesome.

We are going to give it another go (and I suspect Grimmie will be less trusting this time), anyone want to join us? Its a good few hours to finish a game but you can save and come back to it so we don't have to do it all at once. Next time I am thinking of being either the diplomat dragons or the self harming wizards (all other 4X games could learn a thing or two about interesting race design from this).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Endless Leg Ends

Post by Dog Pants »

I've had Legends since it came on Early Access and I've really struggled to find my way with it. Maybe it's the deviation from the usual Civ-like formula, but I just can't get it to click. I really want to like it too.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Its worth noting that the different races play totally differently. For example, the cultists can only have one city, but it can be huge. The Dust Knights eat money, so you don't need to worry about food (but you *do* need to worry about cash flow). The Necrowhatevers are unable to not be at war. And so on, and so on.

The Vaulters are probably the most "normal" (it says a lot about the game that "cave dwelling space marines who have forgotten how technology works" is the closest you get to normal) but i'm not sure I would say that makes them the best race to try and learn the game with, as it means you need to think about *everything*. Cultists or Dust Knights might be better choices, as the first one means you don't need to think about expansion or balancing things between different cities and the second means there is one whole resource type you can totally ignore.

I would also recommend setting the enemy AI to maximum retard for a good few games. The AI is a *beast*.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've only played the elfy types so far. Apparently they're closest to a 'normal' race. I think turning the AI right down is a good idea, and I might give the Dust Mites a go. I remember struggling to get into Endless Space too but when it clicked it became one of the best games I played last year.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I have similar feelings to pants with this too, the game is has everything going for it but it just hasn't clicked for me yet but i want it too.

I think its that i am just having trouble with reading the map at times, it just doesn't seem as clear as other 4X games as to what things are and occasionally getting lost trying to find something in the UI, which is lovely but again just doesn't seem as clear to read as others, i find myself hovering over things for tool-tips to try and find things.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Good point. Even thee blank tiles are pretty busy. Which looks great, but it's not apparent to me which ones have resources on and what they do when I do find them. It doesn't put me off by any means, but it makes it harder for me to learn.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

5punky four-way next Friday? :D

Dirty.