Smite

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Smite

Post by Joose »

I think we should give this game a go. Partially because its pretty good, but mostly because it includes the Mayan god of Bees, who you can dress up to look like Cthulhu. Its tremendously silly.

In case you dont know, its a free to play 3rd person MOBA game, with a model similar to LoLs for purchasing things (some free dudes that go in a rotation, you can buy other dudes with in game earnt money or with real money). It also has a "just give me all the dudes" option for £20, which unlocks every playable character, including any they add in the future.

The game is pretty nice, its similar enough to a regular moba to be familiar but different enough to be interesting. Everything is a skill shot, so moving around and aiming properly are important, and obviously the third person perspective means people can literally sneak up behind you. On the other hand, if you know about lanes, towers and pushing you will be able to get into it dead quick.

This is the main reason I think we should give it a go. Its fun and different, but is simple enough that you don't have to invest time into learning things like in DOTA. In fact, if you just want to give a new god a go and not have to worry about learning how to play it as well as a proper item shopping list and buying yourself abilities you can set the levelling up to automatic and it will take care of that for you.

I've played a few rounds of proper online vs real humans games and it didnt leave me feeling traumatised like most MOBAs do at first. In fact, apart from one person shouting "noob" at someone (because they were repeatedly charging headlong into the enemy as a ranged character) its all been rather pleasant.

Join me! Lets be daft gods!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Smite

Post by Dog Pants »

Smite do.

The terms 'third person' and 'skill shot' make me think bad things, but I'll try anything for free.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Anything?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I'm always up for giving another MOBA a go
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Smite do.

The terms 'third person' and 'skill shot' make me think bad things, but I'll try anything for free.
Well, I say skill shot because thats how they describe it, but its pretty generous. You pick your skill and a big template comes out, then left click to activate it. You know if you are going to hit people as anyone under the template also gets highlighted (although some of the abilities have a bit of a warmup period, so you have to lead your target). All it really means is that there is no auto aiming of anything. I dont thinks its any trickier to handle than DOTA, to be honest.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Oh, if you do want to join, ping me a message so I can get a sweet referral reward :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

*ping*
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I already had a hi rez account from ages ago so im guessing i wont be able to do that for you
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

You should be able to. I think it counts from the first time you play smite.

Also, apparently you can retroactively add your referrer, so just sign up and we can work it out later. Theres several days grace period for getting it sorted out.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'd be willing to give this a go, maybe more of a saturgame though.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Joose wrote:You should be able to. I think it counts from the first time you play smite.

Also, apparently you can retroactively add your referrer, so just sign up and we can work it out later. Theres several days grace period for getting it sorted out.
oh right cool, well no harm trying.

and i am creatively known in game as shot2bits
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

aaaaand the referral thing is kinda broken. Or just not implemented yet. Ah well.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i *think* you can do it from in game but not actually looked properly, the referral bit of the website does seem a tad broken though
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Doing it in game just brings up a browser with the broken web page in it. Boo.