The Miniatures Project Thread

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: The Miniatures Project Thread

Post by FatherJack »

Anery wrote:
buzzmong wrote:Ah, may I ask why not? I've found acrylic sprays from Halfords tend to work well as basecoats.
Because I don't have anywhere I can do it and I've had problems spraypainting stuff in the past and making a pigs ear of it.
I did some spray painting in my downstairs toilet with the window open. It had the advantage that I could have a shit to get rid of the smell. Also the toilet brush is now a nice silver colour.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

A friend of mine linked me to these earlier, not too sure of the compositions, but the paint jobs are incredible:

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/s ... post467109

The other threads in that forum are chocked full of good stuff as well.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I think I might have just found the best painting/hobby desk ever.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Visitors might mistake the Imperial eagle for a Nazi one, mind.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Visitors might mistake the Imperial eagle for a Nazi one, mind.
Would explaining leave them relieved or differently worried?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I spotted that on BoLS, I do like the idea of a rolling desk cover to keep all my stuff away from the cat...then again, any area where I can leave my stuff in a "working" state without having to pack it up would be nice.
Maybe when I win the lottery I can buy myself an antique writing desk and trash it with my hobby. I'll probably get one of these too.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That's pretty nice. Not sure it's worth the price, but still. I was talking to the caretaker at work who was describing how he used to have a Scalextrix track when he was younger. It was mounted on a board which made up part of a false wall in an alcove by the fireplace, hinged and wallpapered on the back so you could barely tell it was there when it was stowed. Sounded like an awesome idea, I'd consider doing that myself if I owned a house.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:That's pretty nice. Not sure it's worth the price, but still. I was talking to the caretaker at work who was describing how he used to have a Scalextrix track when he was younger. It was mounted on a board which made up part of a false wall in an alcove by the fireplace, hinged and wallpapered on the back so you could barely tell it was there when it was stowed. Sounded like an awesome idea, I'd consider doing that myself if I owned a house.
We used to have one in the garage nailed to a big board as big nearly as the width of the garage which stood up against the wall out of the way when not in use. The trouble was the atmosphere in the garage kinda lead to corrosion, so the whole thing usually had to be scrubbed with emery paper before it would work. There should be a national get your scalextric out day, I think I have a Race N Chase in the attic.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I had a Race 'n' Chase! My Dad must have bought it for me when I was tiny (so he could play with it) because I don't ever remember it not being old, and I only ever remember it working once or twice.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Would anybody be up for a bit of painting challenge?
There are at least three active painters amongst us and some that can talk a good game *cough* Buzz *cough* and I would welcome the opportunity to paint 2 or 3 models every now and then that were different from what I normally paint -red power armour. I pretty it would help bring out new techniques and practice on random stuff that we wouldn't normally pick up. Time scale for each should be appropriate for what we are painting - WIP shots should be done where appropriate - and after that elapsed period folks can vote on which one is the preferred bodge job. Weener gets to set the stipulations (colour restrictions, theme, to mod or not to mod, etc) and choice of models for the next round.
Models can be anything, I would suggest an ebay raid with all participants kicking in a couple of quid each.

If it is something that anyone is interested in, I have a bag of 17 gretchin on top of my fridge I propose to blindly pick 3 at a time and mail them to anyone who wants to have a go. I will check and any duplicate models will be re-drawn so you get three different ones. No stipulations, go mental, mod away, paint them any colours you want.

Anyone? If not I am willing to post gretchin to anybody who wants to paint.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Sounds like it could be fun and good practice for me before I start in Death storm. Also I'm heading to GW tomorrow for a painting lesson, any good tips I pick up will be posted on here.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm interested in theory, since I was planning on brushing up on my skills and developing more modern techniques, but I'm conscious of my time limitations.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Dog Pants wrote:I'm conscious of my time limitations.
3 minis - time limit of about 6 weeks - two weeks per mini - sound reasonable? Not talking full units, that would be far to expensive and time consuming
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm happy to give it a go. I get about an hour a night max where I'm child-free and all my jobs have been done. I'm going to have to find time somehow if I'm to paint up about 30 more guards.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

2 weeks a mini was what I was going to suggest, so its good for me. Don't forget that you can do some parts in bulk, like undercoating, base coating and washes (if you're doing them all the same colour) to save a bit of time.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Damn right I can undercoat in bulk. I have a spray can of it.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I've still not tried spray paint, no where to do it. Think I'll stick with Imperial Primer for now.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Pnut wrote:I've still not tried spray paint, no where to do it. Think I'll stick with Imperial Primer for now.

Blu-tack your dudes to some shitty wood bit or such, then put that in a cardboard box somewhere outside but out the wind, should do the trick.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, Anery can tell you about the dangers of spraying miniatures in the wind. My own 'learning the hard way' experience is don't do it in sub-zero temperatures, unless you want a crazy-paved effect.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Garages (with aforementioned box trick) are the best place to do spraying outside of an actual spray booth :)

I'm sort of interested, but the striking realisation that I've not actually painted a model of anything in probably 5 years giving me a bit of the fear is putting me off a bit.