3D Printing

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Re: 3D Printing

Post by ProfHawking »

Joose wrote:that fused doodah modeling method (I think. Thats where it just spits out plastic from the end of a print nozzle, right?)
If when it's finished printing the office is completely covered in fine white powder, its an expensive laser whatsit.
If when it's finished you can just pick up what it's printed, it's a fused doodah gadget.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Fused doodah it is then. Although it would be hilarious if it were the other one, what with the printer being sat in the corner of a large open plan office :lol:

"Hey guys! ITS AN EARLY CHRISTMAS!" *presses print*
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I gather that you need to do a fair bit of supporting joint removal with a scalpel or file for anything that stands out from the base's footprint, but it's only the same as filing down and sanding bits from an airfix model. Just.. A bit more than normal.

The smart thing to do is print it with the largest section facing down on the bed, or to print in parts with connecting pieces so you can just glue the finished bit together at the end. For example, the moron that printed this should have probably rotated it onto its side first, or on its back and printed the head separately with a connector.

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Support structures are the reason why you should get a model with a dual extruder head. Print the supports in a material which you can dissolve easily.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Cool, had no idea that was a thing.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

The more I look at this the more I want an Ultimaker 2. It's fast, quiet, looks easy to use, and highly accurate compared to anything else in the price range as far as I can tell. The components seem to come out with glossy sides they are so smooth. Everything else seems to print things all lumpy and bumpy.

Plus, it's designed to support dual print heads with a future upgrade. Bonus!
£1600 tho. hmmmmm

hmmmmmmm