Government surveillance

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Government surveillance

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:For me, I'm more concerned about companies than government. Google, if you're reading this, fuck off.
What particular concern do you have with Google? All these big tech companies are legally obliged to cooperate with the government surveillance, so I see it as one and the same.

I was concerned about using Google even before the leaks, so scaled back my use of their services. Now I use Startpage.com so I can get Google search results without them tracking me (it works as an anonymising proxy). The results won't be personalised, but then you also don't see personalised adverts.

Has anyone else changed their Internet habits or tech since the revelations? Stuff like this: http://prism-break.org/

WARNING: Your response may be added to your threat profile. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Government surveillance

Post by Dog Pants »

As previously stated, I don't think the government have any interest in what I do. Google, on the other hand, will profit from the data they collect from me. They're the ones with motives here, not to mention a long history of blatant disregard for data protection. When Google changed their terms to sell your search data for targeted advertising I started using Bing. When the papers started printing stories about Big Brother I didn't do anything different, although given my career history that could be because I would have been expecting to be monitored to some extent anyway. Interestingly enough, if my current (corporate) employers were monitoring my home internet use I would be having some very strong, angry words with the highest manager I could get my hands on, and would probably start browsing weird shit just to fire their sensors off. So maybe that's how other people feel about HMG doing it.