WHFRP: Through the Drakwald

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: WHFRP: Through the Drakwald

Post by Dog Pants »

To give you a little food for the imaginary battle, these attacks represent the results of 10 seconds of combat rather than a single swing of the sword, so you've mostly been posturing and making swipes to keep the mutant at bay, rather than swinging and missing over and over.

Joose please?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

So going on full attack means less of a defense bonus but more of a chance to hit? Balls to it, MAX ATTACK GO TIEM!

I dont have my character sheet with me, but here is the roll:

Roll(1d100)+0:
59,+0
Total:59

hrm.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nup, even with your +20 you still needed 49.

The first mutant's all out attack (just) hits Larandar: WP31 + 20 (all-out) = 51

Roll(1d100)+0:
50,+0
Total:50

Location (doesn't really matter in this case):

Roll(1d100)+0:
61,+0
Total:61 = Body

Damage:

Roll(1d10)+3:
5,+3
Total:8

Which is reduced by your Toughness Bonus (TB) of 3, resulting in a thump to the ribs for 5 damage. In WHFRP damage taken is abstract, becoming worse as you take more. At this stage, with more than two hit points left, you're lightly wounded and can recover pretty quickly. Less than that and you're badly wounded. Once you hit 0 hit points damage taken is critical and causes the effects like the ones above - lost arms, fractured spines, and dick-shots.

The remaining gribblies have no effect. The lone remaining soldier, free of an opponent, trots over and stabs Larandar's mutant while it's busy beating him, nicking it.

Next turn! This time there's a commotion as four guards burst out of the crowd to help. They go last in initiative.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Reloadings and shootings:

BS: 52 - 20 = 32
Roll(1d100)+0:
43,+0
Total:43
Alice wrote:Knickers.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Larandar wrote:Arrrggh! My shirt! Do you know how hard it is to find a good tailor out here in the sticks?!
Right, I want revenge for that, so I'm going to take a breath, find my stance again and attack, looking for an opening to slice through and repay the favour from last round.

Aim and attack again.

WS:28 +10 = 38
Roll(1d100)+0:
68,+0
Total:68

:shakefist:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh dear Buzz, you are not having much luck. I think I know what your first advance might be.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Me again? I shall try a MAX ATTACK a second time:

Roll(1d100)+0:
93,+0
Total:93

Im not certain, but I think that might be a miss.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You swipe the beast at neck level, and for a moment think he's going to do that thing where it doesn't look like you've cut his head off and then he falls down in a fountain of blood. But actually you just didn't cut his head off, or indeed hit him at all.

Mutant #1 with the tentacles hits Larandar again with a glancing blow for 1 damage (+3 damage bonus, -3 from toughness). The guards then come crashing into the combat, one helping Larandar and the injured soldier, one helping Ulrich, and the other two taking the pressure off the besieged priest. Ulrich's piggy mutant takes a nasty blow to the knee, and between them the NPCs strike a few more light blows. Out of the mutants left standing only the eyeball one is looking in any way healthy.

Next round!

Ooh, I've just noticed a few bonuses you guys could have had: Attacking a foe who is knocked down or outnumbered 2-1 gives you +10, outnumbered 3-1 or a stunned opponent is +20. I'll put that on my crib sheet.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Let's fizz another marble over:

BS: 52 - 20 = 32 (maybe plus something)
Roll(1d100)+0:
97,+0
Total:97

Over their heads, that is.
Alice wrote:I totally meant that! It'll come down later right on his head, you just see.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Larandar wrote:Would someone else kindly like take over? I'm feeling a little woozy
Ok, so I'm going to continue doing the same thing I've been doing for the last few rounds: Using my amazing sword skills to trade blows, avoid swipes and batter my opponent to the ground....

WS (28) + Aim(+10) = 38

Roll(1d100)+0:
33,+0
Total:33
:shock: A hit!

Roll(1d10)+2 (SB as it's a Hand Weapon):
1,+2
Total:3
:lol: Just my luck.
Larandar wrote:Aha! Not so nice when it's you being hit is it?!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

A better result than it looks, Buzz; the blow connects with his already hurt leg and sends him crashing to the ground. This puts you on an additional +10 if he survives to next round.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Hooray buzz!

I shall try to replicate his success:

Roll(1d100)+0:
92,+0
Total:92

less good.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The mutant scrambles back to his feet, swinging wildly and looking dazed, keeping his attackers at bay for now.

The pig-mutant cracks Ulrich on the left knee for four damage

Eyeball turns his attention to a guard and swings an accurate blow. The guard, however, deftly parries it and smashes his cudgel into the swinging arm causing the creature to roar in pain. His companion follows the attack up, hitting the same shoulder. The impact visibly destroys the joint, leaving a mess of pulp and bone which jets an arterial spray of blood. The mutant collapses with a shocked look in its three wide eyes.

Next (and probably last) turn please!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Alice wrote:Wheee! Here it comes now, just you see
She surreptitiously shoots a stone in a high arc.

BS: 52 - 20 + 10/20 = 42/52 (not sure if outnumbered 2/1 or 3/1)
Roll(1d100)+0:
14,+0
Total:14
Alice wrote:Coming down! On yer 'ead son.
Roll(1d10)+3:
10,+3
Total:13
Alice wrote:Blimmin' heck - that bugger's gonna leave a crater!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You really get some speed into this one. The stone hits Ulrich's pig-mutant square in the shoulder and for a second it looks like it had no effect, but after a split second blood starts positively gushing from a small hole. The mutant doesn't even have time to flinch, he just drops like a stone, dead before he hits the ground.

If that was a melee weapon it would have taken his arm clean off at the shoulder and killed him instantly. The best I could come up with is that it severed the subclavical artery then ricocheted into the chest cavity.

Buzz, you have the last mutant. He got to his feet in his turn (sorry, I was incorrect when I said you'd get to attack at +10), but he's dazed and you're at +20 for being 3-on-1.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Upon seeing the muntant rise back to it's feet:
Larandar wrote:*sigh* Tenacious monstrosity aren't you?
Righto: Aim and attack.

WS:28 + 10 (aim) + 20 (3-to-1) = 58.
Roll(1d100)+0:
30,+0
Total:30

Roll(1d10) +2 (SB):
8,+2
Total: 10

:w00t:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hooray! And what a finale. The mutant cowers, caught off guard, as you launch an arcing overhead blow at him. He holds his arm up to protect himself, but not only does the blow cleave straight through his forearm, it goes on through his shoulder and stops three ribs into his chest. The horse crunches the monster to his knees, and as you pull your blade free the corpse slumps forwards into a rapidly expanding pool of blood.

Congratulations gents, you have survived your first combat. The guards put the surviving, crippled mutant out of his misery with a couple of blows to the head, and the priest-type rushes over to the felled soldier. He stoops, then after a moment stands again and says a prayer, head bowed. The crowd are beginning to notice that the attackers have been dispatched and start to calm down.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Alice wrote:Yay! That showed them.
Her usual victory dance would consist of squatting over one of the fallen and blowing a huge raspberry until her face turned red, but in this instance she decides to forgo it. Instead she considers the other combantants.
Alice wrote:Is everyone okay? Ser Shirt, is that your blood or theirs? How about you Ser Shout-a-lot? Looks like you copped a few back there.
She looks at the priest.
Alice wrote:Father Beard, d'you know any healing spells? My buddies here got a bit scratched up back there while we were saving everyone's butts.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Larandar wrote:Maybe the quill isn't mightier than the sword after all
Apart from the priest, is there anyone else around who looks to be the healing type?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The priest doesn't have a beard, but I don't imagine that makes any difference to Alice. He speaks with a well-to-do accent, and over pronunciates a little.
Amsteville wrote:Father.. Oh! Well I can't do magic but I can certainly apply a spot of the soothing salve.
It sounds almost smutty, but his expression says it's probably not supposed to be. He starts pulling various flasks and bandages from a satchel.

Meanwhile the woman who the mutant attacked first is being attended to by a slender, stern looking old lady who looks to be doing a good job of dealing with her injuries.