Spec me a mouse, bitches!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Spec me a mouse, bitches!

Post by Joose »

My mousewheel has stopped working. Not completely, but near completely. I think my finger sweat buggered it.

So, new mouse time! Any recommendations?
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Re: Spec me a mouse, bitches!

Post by Thompy »

The most subjective of PC hardware. My last mouse was a SteelSeries Xai, loved it. It's been updated to the Sensei, and I would get the "RAW Rubberised" version. There is talk of acceleration but it's native to the Avago 9500 sensor which a lot of top end mice use. I wouldn't worry about a few percent of acceleration. Currently however I'm using the optical (I thought that was inferior tech but apparently not necessarily) Logitech G400 and I reckon it might be the best mouse they make at the moment, harking back to the old MX 500 series. Simple, does the job, no issues. SteelSeries Qck is my choice of mouse mat in case you're interested.

I wouldn't normally bother to say what I don't recommend but I'll make an exception for the Logitech G500. As a slightly higher priced Logitech it draws a lot of interest and many people buy it but be warned: the button placement and size is just dreadful. Also the middle mouse button is prone to faults (maybe corrected in later runs, who knows) as mine was. I know others have said the same. YMMV, of course.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I have the RAT-5, which is fugly as hell but very comfy. It could arguably benefit from a couple more buttons, but I rarely use more than a couple. I configured the 'sniper' button as my PTT because I couldn't get it to do anything else useful. They do higher DPI mice, but unless you're the type who plays competitive twitch shooters like Counter-Strike then you're wasting your money.

I've heard good things about the newer Corsair mice, but I wasn't all that impressed with them, personally.

My 'wildcard' bet would be the Shogun Bros Ballista, which has had great reviews, as indeed have all the Shogun Bros peripherals.

With mice in particular you need to decide what your personal needs are. Do you put your palm on the mouse (bigger is better) or use a claw grip (smaller and lighter)? Do you like concave or convex buttons? Do you need a gazillion macro buttons for MMOs or RTSs? Will your missus take the piss if it looks like a transformer?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've got a Razer DeathAdder. I quite like it.

I like my brother's newer Black Edition even more as it fixes the main fault with the old version I've got: The bit under your thumb was smooth plastic and got very slidey.

Good mouse though, comfortable and responsive.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've had a Logitech MX500, and a G5 both of which I loved. I now have a G500 which I didn't like the button placement of at first and really had to tweak the sensitivity to make it feel familiar, but I've grown used to it. I'd go for a G500s if I needed a new one. The G400s has the better button positioning, but the G500s like the G5/500 has the little weights you can customise it with, the dual-mode scroll wheel and precision of the laser.

I tried Razers, RATs and MS Gaming mice, but they just don't feel comfortable.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FatherJack wrote:I've had a Logitech MX500, and a G5 both of which I loved. I now have a G500 which I didn't like the button placement of at first and really had to tweak the sensitivity to make it feel familiar, but I've grown used to it. I'd go for a G500s if I needed a new one. The G400s has the better button positioning, but the G500s like the G5/500 has the little weights you can customise it with, the dual-mode scroll wheel and precision of the laser.

I tried Razers, RATs and MS Gaming mice, but they just don't feel comfortable.
:above: I have a G500 and I really like it. The side buttons did take some getting used to but they're OK.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I should have specified I have tiny girl hands, hence my feelings on the buttons.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I had my G500 delivered at work and even the packaging served to overemphasise its size. The girls laughed at it and said "is that your Man Mouse?" I offered to give them a demonstration of what I could do with it, but they suddenly had an appointment to keep.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

My RAT-5 died. The RMB sort of collapsed and became hyper sensitive. So I've bought a Death Adder. It's a nice size and I like the buttons, but the grip isn't quite what I wanted, it's a bit on the light side for me, and it's slippery. I expect I'll get used to it, and it'll stop being slippery after it's worked up a good coating of mouse jam and semen.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I still have a logitech G5, I need to buy new feet for it, and maybe a new cable. :)
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

My G5 has been transformed into a G502 Proteus Core. It's still my favorite lineage of mice ever.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

They are really very good, I have terrible luck with logitech mouse cables, but otherwise they're pretty much unkillable for me.

edit: pfft, just noticed that thing you said has proper strain relief.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The 502 looks pretty good actually. I mean, it's fugly, but it looks like a Logitech version of the RAT.