World Of Warcraft - PC

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

World Of Warcraft - PC

Post by Dog Pants »

As most of you have noticed, and to surprisingly little derision, I have been playing the World of Warcraft trial this week. I've got a 10 day trial with three days left, but now seems like a good time to file my report. You'll have to excuse me for comparing it to CoH, as it's the only real source of comparison (I could compare to Eve, but they're far too different and it wouldn't be constructive).

Now, as a 5punker I have always had a deep mistrust of this game. Rumour has it that it is populated by leetspeaking smacktards that make the game virtually unplayable, and that it'll steal your wife and job (and probably soul). So I went into this with a little apprehension and, I have to admit, a little excitement - millions of people can't be wrong, after all.

Before I make mention of the game itself I want to address the technical issues. It took about 13 hours to download the 3.16Gb client via the torrent-like download exe. I did try an alternative from a direct download, but upon running the download exe to catch any missing files it fucked it up. So the first day of my trial was spent downloading.
As with CoH I found that I'd downloaded the wrong version of the client - I had US, I wanted EU. Not too big a deal though - just create a new trial account on the EU server and adjust the config file to connect to Europe. All well and good, apart from now I have to fiddle that file every time there's an update, which is every other day (at about 2.5Mb too). On the good side, I've yet to see a lot of lag.

So the game then. I'm used to creating colourful, individual characters in CoH. In WoW there's not much scope for individuality. I have to say that even the higher level bods I've seen knocking about only seem distinguishable by their pets and mounts (especially the guy with the big white gorilla :)). It might be possible to dye your outfits so that you can stand out, but neither me nor Joose have worked out how yet.
Outside of your character though, and the world is very detailed and colourful. Locations vary to the point of being able to instantly recognise where you are by the landmarks and terrain. The world is absolutely vast too - I've covered one area, of which there are probably about ten just on the Horde continent, and it's taken me all week. Populating this vast lansdcape are a healthy scattering of flora and fauna, some of which are hostile, someof which aren't. There's usually about three or four different types of beasties in any given location. The towns and cities too are busy both with players and NPCs - occasionally too busy in the big cities when you can't find a shop or trainer you want.

So it looks nice. Gameplay mostly involves completing quests, of which there are many. The variety isn't bad either. Quite a few are "Go and kill X amount of this type of thing", but these are infrequent enough to be quite refreshingly freeform against the "Go here and do this" type, which are nicely varied in their implementation. The rewards for quests are quite nice - often one of a selection of nifty bits of kit, and it has a Diablo style upgrade system. Not quite as compelling as Diablo (no "Holy crap that's a good sword" moments as yet), but it's nice to find something unusual.
Aside from grinding missions there's the crafting side of things to spur you out into the world. Crafting seems to work very well - there's quite a bit of variety in what you can do, and you can select two professions so you can compliment your resource gathering with your construction skills. It seems as though you can create gear that will be useful to yourself at the level you are, so you get a little satisfaction out of wearing your own armour or drinking your own potions. Selling your goods to NPCs seems to result in a loss though compared to selling the raw materials.

Finally, other people. I was surprised when I logged on for the first time and wasn't immediately called a noob. Since then I've been surprised at the lack of idiots I've seen. Sure there have been some - people constantly spamming me with duel requests being the worst - but for the most part interacting with people has been okay. I haven't teamed up yet - without TS I find it restrictive so I avoid randoms, but when refusing an invitation I'm often asked why and am generally thanked for explaining my reasons.
PvP interaction is interesting. There's the aforementioned duels, which is an arranged fight until one player is down to low health. You don't die from it, and if someone challenges you you can bet they're about ten levels higher. Then there's the raids where Alliance players will arrive and wreak havoc. These work very well - I seem to be ignored (I'm not sure if they can attack me for some reason), but they raid towns and kill the NPCs and any PCs looking for a scrap. Generally they're jumped on by high level players and sent packing (there's an automated channel dedicated to telling you which town is under PvP attack), but I've also seen a group conducting guerilla raids for hours to quite good effect. I never felt like this was griefing because I was always left alone, but they were menacing enough to make me reconsider my route. There's also a PvP arena, but I've not tried this.

I have two issues with the game though. The first is the team system. From what I've seen of it it's very inflexible. It pales in comparison to the extremely good sidekick and team mission system CoH has. I may be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that if I want to play with friends I'd better be of a similar level to them. This bothers me a lot, and if I'm stuck soloing because I'm going too fast or too slow compared to my friends then I can't see me sticking at the game. Which leads me to my other point, which is that there are only a couple of 5punkers play it. Any game is made far better by playing it with friends over TS, and this may never happen with this one. I know that most 5punkers either have already played it a lot and don't want to any more, or see so much stigma attached that they'll never try it. From the reaction I've had I think it's mostly the former - I've only had a gently ribbing rather than "He's one of them! Shun hiiiiim!".

Good points then:
Beautiful, detailed environment.
Interesting quests
Good progression
Useful and accessible crafting
PvP Raid system
Death isn't a big problem

Bad points:
Bastard to download (especially if you're a biff like me)
Poor team system
Lack of 5punkers
Not much depth (compared to Eve)
Lack of individuality

In conclusion, I'd say I was misled. I'm enjoying soloing my way around the game at the moment. I can pick it up and play for ten minutes, or for twelve hours, whichever I want. Has potential for CoH silliness, but doesn't have the individuality or the 5punky following.
Last edited by Dog Pants on February 18th, 2007, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

As one of the former group (played it before), I would agree with everything you have said. The problems for me, however, started at the higher levels. You are safe from PvP up to a certain level, so assuming you don't attack them, or physically turn your PvP flag on, you can play in relative peace. Once you pass that level you become fair game wherever you are and whatever you are doing. This means groups become almost essential and it's here the problems arise.

The players can be very elitist; if you don't have certain build, or certain items, they might look down you. The only way to get these items is to go on overly long raids which take a lot of organising. Not everyone gets these items upon completion and this is where the selfish attitude I saw a lot of in WoW, come to the fore.

You can carry on playing solo sure, but it can take a very long time and the places you have to visit become increasing more dangerous as Horde and Carebears cross paths more often.

In the end, I felt like it was becoming too much of a chore and as you mentioned once my friends were either too high or too low, grouping with PUG's became very tedious.

Great game, ruined by some of the people that play it.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

wow

Post by Grimmie »

I see you were very careful not to use the abbreviation too much in the review

:lol:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hehe :) It still reminds me of the nerdy aspect of the game so I avoid it anyway. I stuck it in once or twice for the felcher though.
MIkkyo
5pork
5pork

Post by MIkkyo »

The world PvP thing wouldn't be a problem on the realm you have selected as its a PvE realm, you can only be PK'd if you manually switch on your PvP flag or attack/help someone with theres on.
Again with the l337s on horde they seem to be few and far between, only seems to be allies that are under the age of 20.

Edit oh by the way I have a 10 day free trial if anyone fancies it. Just X-fire me
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

cant agree more with what DP said. Despite the constant ribbing it gets, its actually popular for a reason: its very good. It doesnt do anything particularly novel, but what it does do it accomplishes in a very polished way.

I think this is the problem a lot of the WoW rip offs have. They dont realise that its not popular because its got elves in it, its popular because its well made.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's got elves? I don't even notice. I see: chunky thing = orc, tall thing = troll, skinny thing = undead. Every other race falls into one of these categories when I wander past them.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I was in the beta, so have played it for more hours than even XFire has recorded. Despite that, I still left it because it was repetitive. Eventually I would hit a wall where the only quests worth doing were in instances/dungeons, but they are locked to a range of levels, and usually way too hard to do on your own. Then I'd just start all over with a new character.

Towards the end it was an effort to motivate myself, either performing tasks to up my crafting skills, it wasn't fun anymore, so I stopped playing with 5 months left on a six-month payment.

While the PvP servers are more exciting as you can fight other players, unlike something like Eve, death is merely an inconvenience*. The PvE servers have less pricks, and the RP ones even less so - although they have stricter rules and...roleplayers.

Some things are very well done, and other games could learn a lot from them - the crafting systems work quite well, and the auction house system worked quite well - although they could have learned from FFXI and avoided all the lag around them by having localised houses that were linked to each other.

Some thing are not so well done, while it's possible for high-level characters to help out lower level ones with money and assistance on quests, it's not really very well done - people who play together a lot need to be in the same level range and have the same quests. Also the "assigned to" thing that Guild Wars has on loot drops would be nice - players have had to invent an ad-hoc "Need or Greed" system to try to combat the abuses, and still little shitbags will sneak off and open chests, leaving you fighting the bad guys.

* Except one time where the ship went a bit wrong, and dumped everyone in the ocean, too far away from shore to swim back.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

FatherJack wrote:Some thing are not so well done, while it's possible for high-level characters to help out lower level ones with money and assistance on quests, it's not really very well done - people who play together a lot need to be in the same level range and have the same quests.

This is why I don't think it'll catch on with 5punk. People here play casually, and so we don't pressure people to keep up or slow down. In order for us to be able to play together we'd need a handful of characters each so we've always got someone of a similar level, but even then I can't see it working. Even with the system they've got in CoH we've all got about three mains at various levels.

With 5punkers most of the other problems you've mentioned will go away. Idiots are a source of entertainment when you're in a 5punk group, and nobody would be trying to rip each other off. As for getting bored of quests, well grinding gets boring in any MMONG but it's the people you play with that make it interesting. I honestly can't see a way of overcoming the level thing though, which is a real shame.
Guybrush
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Guybrush »

Blizzard will own your soul :P
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:This is why I don't think it'll catch on with 5punk. People here play casually, and so we don't pressure people to keep up or slow down. In order for us to be able to play together we'd need a handful of characters each so we've always got someone of a similar level, but even then I can't see it working. Even with the system they've got in CoH we've all got about three mains at various levels.

With 5punkers most of the other problems you've mentioned will go away. Idiots are a source of entertainment when you're in a 5punk group, and nobody would be trying to rip each other off. As for getting bored of quests, well grinding gets boring in any MMONG but it's the people you play with that make it interesting. I honestly can't see a way of overcoming the level thing though, which is a real shame.

Actually something you said there might provide an answer, as in WoW (couldn't resist) you can create loads of characters, or "alts" even AFAIK on the same server - so people could have little teams of relatively the same level.

Of course this would require quite a few people to take it up, which isn't fantastically likely to happen - although existing players might be persuaded to create a new char or two.

Also on the downside, from discussions with my WoW-(heh, never gets old)-playing mates at work, when you get to the higher levels, there's apparently HUEG differences between say level 63 and level 64.

WoW! (arf)
Guybrush
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Guybrush »

We'd need everyone on the same server as well ;)

Oh and I don't do ally scum chars!

:P

I've a couple of alts that I'd use to play with you guy's now and again tho'
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've noticed that there are quite a few 5punkers (and affiliates) playing wow, so maybe the odd scheduled games will keep everyone about level. Having said that, if one person doesn't turn up then they get left behind. At lower levels it'd probably work but if the difference between higher levels is so big then it'll fall down there. having said that, as 5punkers our levels might not matter that much - I have as much fun at level 1 in CoH as I do at level 26 (or whatever I am now).
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Dog Pants wrote:I've noticed that there are quite a few 5punkers (and affiliates) playing Magical Gaaay Fairy Land, so maybe the odd scheduled games will keep everyone about level. Having said that, if one person doesn't turn up then they get left behind. At lower levels it'd probably work but if the difference between higher levels is so big then it'll fall down there. having said that, as 5punkers our levels might not matter that much - I have as much fun at level 1 in CoH as I do at level 26 (or whatever I am now).

im up for doing a few organised games of WoW with 5punkers to see if its any better that way
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

its started :cry: :cry: :cry:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

ProfHawking wrote:its started :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dog Pants, what have you done? :lol:
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Every now and then it crosses my mind to fire up my old toons and give it another go because it really was fun for a while. But then I remember how insatiably bored I got after level 40 grinding the same old crap all day. So sorry, not for the moment even though no doubt it'll be wicked fun with other 5punkers...everyone should play cows and go on a bovine rampage (we did a raid with a herd of 300 naked cows once, it was mighty funny).

wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow

faaabulous

:lol:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

friznit wrote:everyone should play cows and go on a bovine rampage (we did a raid with a herd of 300 naked cows once, it was mighty funny).

That's the sort of thing we need! I was listening in on general to some people encouraging all the cows to "moo if you're proud!". There was quite a bit of mooing, which I liked.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

YOUR ALL GHEY!!!

fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

www.yourallgay.com

horse free, safe for work if you have headphones and very win!