Lets Play!

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Lets Play!

Post by Dog Pants »

It's okay, I have temporarily sourced a copy to play about with. Call it a trial, I'll find a way of buying it if I need it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I had a go at making my own video. It's very short and contains lots of fail, you'll see why. There was another longer video but the audio was pretty bad so I didn't use it, and I'll be using audacity for the next one.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5feRXqUV8ew[/media]
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Want me to give you a hand getting the 5punk intro in to the start?

Edit
Yay dinosaurs!

It'd be great if you were able to reduce the game audio slightly so we could hear you better in firefights, but this is pretty entertaining :D A little explanation of what's going on while you're playing would be great, as I'm totally oblivious as to what this game is, or what the objectives are.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Grimmie wrote:Want me to give you a hand getting the 5punk intro in to the start?
Sure, I did this late last night and had a few drinks so I wasn't entirely sure of what I was doing.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Hey, hey guys. Let's Play Unreal II.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6dpxNNnT4[/media]

BOOBS!

Feedback appreciated.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

So, uh. No feedback then? Okay :invisible:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Well if you insist, you said you'd remove the loading screens but didn't. At the start your mouth was too close to the mic and lastly you're utterly shit at killing the aliens!

Other than that I did an actual lol when you repeated the old guys words as he said them and another when you stood by the dead body to see if it was dead or just lying down and then it melted. And once again it makes me want to install unreal 2 and have a go. Even though I can remember it being a bit shit after all this time.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Thanks!

Would you believe I actually snipped like 30-40 seconds out of most of the loading screens? I figured if I removed them completely it might sound a bit jarring me just suddenly changing tone/volume/stopping mid-sentence.

Yeah, microphone popping was because last time I recorded my audio was so quiet. I tried to remove as much as I could, but next time I'll just back it the fuck up from my mouth.

Glad that my shitness against strafing aliens came through :)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

With old games under 4GB in size (U2 is 2.1G), you'd do well to grab the rather nifty free version of the ramdisk tool http://memory.dataram.com/products-and- ... re/ramdisk and install the whole game on a virtual hard drive which is actually memory, loading times will be a thing of the past.

With 16GB like you said you had you can even use this on newer games if you buy the full version to increase the 4GB limit, it's pretty solid and backs up the virtual disk to actual disk when shut down and as it runs as a service it's even persistent through a reboot if you forget to shut it down.

I've installed Unreal, Unreal 2 and Heretic 2 onto a 3GB one this evening and they all work deliciously well.

I would have replied earlier but have been fucking about with ramdrives and old games - I too, liked the 'stow it' thing and when you looked at the dead bodies. I remember Unreal 2 as an oft-overlooked gem - while the actual setting and story weren't top notch there were two things they got bang-on.

One was when you are killing mini-spiders with a flamethrower and when it's a bit tense your flamethrower runs out of ammo, directly around the next corner though there is new ammo - perfect placing and timing showing this was laboriously playtested.

The other was a defense mission where you have to use turrets to defend your position, which gave you the feeling you were on the ragged edge of defeat but somehow scraped through - again excellent balancing.

There's also some great "and now I am all-powerful" stuff towards the end as well, showing that there are many things modern game developers can learn from this title, yet I have never seem more than one or two of the aforementioned ideas making it into a newer title, with the possible exception of Half-Life if you include all of the episodes.

The exploration of your ship between missions is a nice addition, too.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

My personal favourite, despite how cringe-worthy the ship characters are to begin with, is how you actually warm to your crew throughout the story. I found myself getting a bit weepy at the end of the game. Darn character development.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

FatherJack wrote:I've installed Unreal, Unreal 2 and Heretic 2 onto a 3GB one this evening and they all work deliciously well.
Completely unrelated to the thread, but your copy of Heretic 2. Is it still available to buy somewhere then or was this a copy that you had on cd?

It's not on GoG or Steam afaik, and I don't fancy sweeping the floor and have to go through the headache of hunting down fan patches for it, but I very much do want to revisit it as I've got very hazy memories of playing the demo back when I first got my own pc, pre millenium.
Last edited by buzzmong on May 27th, 2013, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:
FatherJack wrote:I've installed Unreal, Unreal 2 and Heretic 2 onto a 3GB one this evening and they all work deliciously well.
Completely unrelated to the thread, but your copy of Heretic 2. Is it still available to buy somewhere then or was this a copy that you had on cd?

It's not on GoG or Steam afail, and I don't fancy sweeping the floor and have to go through the headache of hunting down fan patches for it, but I very much do want to revisit it as I've got very hazy memories of playing the demo back when I first got my own pc, pre millenium.
I have the CD bought when new, it was never part of any iD-megapack sale as it was an Activision-Raven production. It has a 16-bit installer so you have to use XP mode to install it, then can run the EXE under Win7, but it still requires the CD in the drive.

It uses a modded Quake2 engine, but unlike most other games with that lineage is mostly third-person, more akin to Tomb Raider.

I can probably share something in my Dropbox which will assist you in your quest for it.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Grimmie wrote:So, uh. No feedback then? Okay :invisible:
Watched it last night and thought it was rather good. A good balance of talking and letting the game do its thing. If you wanted more to say up front you could say why you liked it and/or what made the Unreal singleplayer series significant at the time.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

I was about to do a let's play of unreal 2 last night - glad I didn't now! Just about to watch yours as we speak. :ahoy:
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Watched this last night. I like the pacing, the nostalgia factor and your inability to kill shit. I spent a couple of hours editing my first "Let's finish" of STALKER: COP Complete last night. Still some editing to do and I die lots and shoot ineffectively. It's fun to watch people die, right?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Totally!

I've got a couple more 15-minute parts to export of my Unreal II lets play, and then the long, long upload that follows.

Let me know if you need any assets, like music or the 5punky intro.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Grimmie wrote:Totally!

I've got a couple more 15-minute parts to export of my Unreal II lets play, and then the long, long upload that follows.

Let me know if you need any assets, like music or the 5punky intro.
I'll need the intro definitely, not sure on the music, do you have a good source of chiptuney goodness?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Woo!

I have one complaint: The watch later button doesn't work on embedded videos, you should ask Mr You Tube to fix it. You're probably on first name terms by now.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Right oh. In future when YouTube asks "do you want us to fix the lighting in this video?" say no. Without a doubt no. Definitely not. When YouTube has finished unfucking my Let's Finish It'll be posted publicly.