Lets Play!

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Re: Lets Play!

Post by Grimmie »

Gonna stick to using random chiptune for now, I like the variety. We need a viewership before we forge a solid identity in my opinion, so I'll concentrate on making some more videos.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lLoWsRLjvY[/media]

Feedback appreciated, I think I was a little less nervous this time :D
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Boom! Took most of the morning to upload, but totally worth the 1080p goodness.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrkG500G3Vg[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Lovely stuff Grimmie. I've only had chance to see part 2 but I'm pleased to see my gremlin in there. I've posted it on the front page and part 3 is saved as a draft to publish a little later to keep it flowing.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Part 3 isn't loading very well on yootoob for me.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Ha, was the technical difficulties actually me poking you on steam about the Belgium even though you were set to busy? Apologies if so!
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

HereComesPete wrote:Ha, was the technical difficulties actually me poking you on steam about the Belgium even though you were set to busy? Apologies if so!
It was actually my phone alarm going off :D
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Nice work Grimmie! It was good to see our creations turning up.

A few tips if you haven't read up on them already:
- to be an omnivore you have to change your gob halfway through the cell stage - following that middle path gives you a tasty bonus in the creature stage with a spell that instantly summons a posse of allies to help you fight/charm
- charming/killing Alphas always gives you a part
- to have pack members join, charm an existing ally again
- you can click on the mini-map to auto-path to an off-screen destination, like a migrated nest

I tend to charm the tough-looking ones and slaughter the weak ones, which coupled with the summon perk means you can think about taking down an epic in the creature stage. I lucked out an got an epic version of my Okafoo, which was built for cuteness over any fighting ability.

I felt a bit bad after I'd slaughtered it.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

And so you should!

I got an epic version of a maxis grundlefly. I'm thinking as it was huge and hideous it's meant to be brundlefly, but all I could do when I read the name was titter like the man-child I am at the fact that it's a taint, biffin bridge, bonch and many others.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Grimmie, your next Lets Play (or whoever decides to do one) should be Black and White, continuing the theme of flawed genius. I'd do it myself if I wasn't a droning northerner whose voice could put a glass eye to sleep (and if I could get half an hour's silence in which to do it in this house).
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:I'd do it myself if I wasn't a droning northerner whose voice could put a glass eye to sleep (and if I could get half an hour's silence in which to do it in this house).
You should do one with sprog narrating :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Christ, that's an awesome hook. I might well do that. She's loving Planetside 2 at the moment;

"Daddy, are you in your home?"
"Daddy, are you a man or a tank?"
"Daddy, why are you leaving your home?"
"Daddy, where's your bus?"
"Daddy, are those blue or red?"
"Daddy, are you going home?"
"Daddy, where's your home?"
"Daddy, can I have a go?"
"Daddy, is that your man or my man?"
"Daddy, did you shoot him?"
"Daddy, are you going home?"
"Daddy, are you red or blue?"

And so on.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Doitdoitdoit. Even if you have to edit an hours footage down to five minutes, it could be awesome. :lol:
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I agree, it's probably the edge we need.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm sure I'm being a spaz, but I can't find the conversation where people came to something of a conclusion on how best to record. Can someone put a handy guide on the first post (or in another thread) if you know how? Fraps for video I assume and.. something else for audio. Fortunately I still have my Audigy installed so I can record on separate sound cards. Getting Sprog to speak into a mic might be a problem.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants wrote:I'm sure I'm being a spaz, but I can't find the conversation where people came to something of a conclusion on how best to record. Can someone put a handy guide on the first post (or in another thread) if you know how? Fraps for video I assume and.. something else for audio. Fortunately I still have my Audigy installed so I can record on separate sound cards. Getting Sprog to speak into a mic might be a problem.
Grimmie uses Audicity, which I have but I haven't experimented with it yet. Deject used something different that splits your video and audio files, I think.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Dog Pants wrote:Fraps for video I assume and.. something else for audio.
You don't need something else for audio. Fraps by default (I think) will record everything it hears including Skype and whatnot, and you can use the individual programs' volume settings to get the levels right. The only draw back is that Fraps only gives you one audio track. Grimmie wanted game and voice on different tracks to do funky stuff which I doubt you'll be bothered about. So yeah, just Fraps and go!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I've been recording gameplay with DXTory, which is similar to FRAPS, but arguably better (and I think a bit more expensive IIRC). I haven't gotten around to recording audio to mix in, but I have old versions of Vegas and Sound Forge that I can do all that with.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Yeah, Fraps will record your mic audio just fine if you click the checkbox. Just make sure you're audible over game volume (turn game volume down) and change the audio levels later.

To end up with a separate audio track I just recorded my microphone in Audacity, and my game in Fraps. Then I bunged them in Premiere (any video editor will do) and fiddled with levels individually.

If you want to do high-res recording, film in 16:9 ratio and export at 1080p or 720p. Export as .mp4 with a variable bitrate of 8mb - 10mb. It'll take a while to upload to Youtube, but it'll be smooth as heck.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I take it only the full version of Fraps is any good. Which uses Paypal, so no dice I'm afraid. Although it would take some serious consideration to fork out £25 for something I might never use regardless.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I may have Fraps you can have Doggers :sweep: