Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Elite: Dangerous (aka Elite IV)

Post by Joose »

Anery wrote: HOTAS stuff.
I cant read that without pronouncing it Hot Ass.
How does one go about adding folks in this game? do we have a list yet?
Apparently you do it at the start up menu, not in the game itself (unless you can physically see the ship of the person you are trying to add). I am Mr Joose in game, if you want to give it a go.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I am Dog Pants! Friend me up, space bastards. Do we not have a corp?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:I am Dog Pants! Friend me up, space bastards. Do we not have a corp?
Corps? Hahaha.
Grouping in ED, unless it's been massively improved for the beta+release, was nothing but a joke.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, looks to be like a temporary squad thing rather than guilds. Maybe they'll put that in later.

I played the first three tutorials and it seems okay, if a little twitchy, on a pad.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:I played the first three tutorials and it seems okay, if a little twitchy, on a pad.
I recommend having a fiddle with some of the different preset control schemes. I found one of the alternate ones a lot easier to get on with than the one it starts you off on.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Good idea, now I know what the buttons do.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I did a mission! My first one. I like the improvements over the last Elite game I played (Frontier) - docking and undocking is very engaging, travel is still a little confusing but feels authentic. I ran a couple of tons of hydrogen fuel to a station a few systems away, got a 400c fine for lingering at the wrong pad, bought a load of cheap electronics to flog elsewhere, then ended up selling them at a loss because nobody else needed them. It's all coming flooding back to me!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I cant work out trade.

I can see that you can use the commodities market to check what is going for less than the market average, but I cant work out how you know where to take them other than by just going to places at random and looking. That cant be the correct way of doing it, can it?

I've made quite a bit of cash shifting illegal goods for people on the Bulletin Board. I even took down someone with a wanted level last night, getting me 800 credits in bounty! I then accidentally clipped a security horse ship when going for the wanted guys wanted mate, which made me wanted. Took down the pirate, but then the security guys took me down, wiping out the bounty that was owed me and leaving me with a massive ship insurance bill. Bastard space cops.

I think I will stick to shuffling goods from the BB for now.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

If you go to a system in the galaxy map then view the system details you can scoot arounnd a stylized map of the system. Hover over each station to see its main imports and exports. It doesn't give you prices and you might have to buy the intel, but it's an indication.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Werd bummers! I'm Tandino Tandler in game. Like Buzz said, there is a rudimentary grouping system in place which, when used in tandem with the friends list, seems to ensure you end up in the same instances (each server/shard has approximately 32 slots for humans I believe) as each other. Frontier have said that proper group features, wings and such, are due to arrive early next month, so not long before we can bum around together a little more reliably than locking on to each others low energy wakes and dropping in to instances. whether corps will ever be a thing I don't know. Groups are in already but don't offer much other than being in a group in the menus (and the aforementioned instanc-ey stuff).
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'm also struggling a litttle bit with the commodities market.
I've got a little trade run set up but between two neighbour systems. A return trip is worth about 300cr profit which is not big when you consider that an eagle fighter like mine is worth 44k and an Anaconda is 146m. I think with a few more cargo spaces made available a return run should be in the region of about 650-700cr per run which then runs to about 4-4.2k per hour - still chump change though.
I'm also struggling with the bounties, directions to find targets are vague to say the least and searching three solar systems for one target is time consuming and frustrating. I've not managed to find a single target yet - though I did manage to collect one bounty as a contact I scanned turned out to be wanted and being a relatively harmless target I dispatched him no issues - 2.2k cr for a random encounter, musn't grumble.

EDIT
Same run now yields about 800cr per run as my ability to buy more expensive cargo has gone up, an unlucky pirate thought they would try their hand at grabbing my nice shiny cargo but failed to register the combat craft carrying it...4.2kcr bounty thank you very much!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'm getting pretty interested in this, is there any other way to buy other than the store? 40 quid isn't a massive amount, but if I could get it just a smitten cheaper that would be helpful.

Edit: Apparently £40 is quite a lot for me.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Apparently not, the only place I can see that you can get it is from the Frontier website. None of the usual suspects have it, no keys or physical copies...
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well I'll just save up for it then.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Has anybody found any particularly lucrative trade runs yet?
Currently I am hauling gold from Pera to Chenti and food back again for a little under 9k profit per return journey. This is at around the maximum range for a single jump with the stock Frame Shift Drive fitted to a Hauler with 8 full cargo spaces. I am working on saving the money for a better FSD but I'm not sure if I shouldn't just save up for a ship instead, that said, more FSD = bigger cargo = more profit. :?
Occasionally I get waylaid by pirates but only on 1 occasion have I failed to find the escape vector from the interdiction - and I barely escaped with 4% of my hull integrity remaining. Most of the attacks have come when I have been in my Eagle which have ended up with me collecting some nice bounties :)

No sooner had I typed that last sentence than bam! - some fucking pirate tried to rob me again, I might have to take my fighter out for a spin and persuade them that it's not worth hanging around Pera.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I only just got started, so can't afford expensive cargo, but made about 1k profit per trip hauling grain from one station to another in the same start system (LHS 3447). I extended my cargo bay from 4 to 6 tons and when I have enough capital I can transport gold/palladium on the return trip for more profits. You can click each planet on the system map and see what they import/export.

It's a bit boring being a space truck driver, but I was completely shit at the combat tutorial (those waste barrels really put up a fight) so I think trading is all I'm cut out for for the moment. My Sidewinder has a bigger cargo capacity than my Eagle for some weird reason. I think I'll save up to buy turrets which don't need me to aim them.

When I started I had 100 gold and accidentally pressed the wrong button and did a shoot near the space station - for a fine of 100 gold. Game Over. (I thought, I didn't realise I had the Eagle in a hangar at the time). When I deleted the save and restarted it gave me 1000 gold this time. Multiplayer seems to use the same save game, so you just carry on but with other people to crash into.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

FatherJack wrote:I only just got started, so can't afford expensive cargo, but made about 1k profit per trip hauling grain from one station to another in the same start system (LHS 3447)
That's how I started out with my Eagle, then sold the extra one off to buy the Hauler. If you travel to Pera the Hayashi City to Wirtanen Port (Chenti) run is a lot better for money (haul gold)
Father jack wrote:... I think I'll save up to buy turrets which don't need me to aim them.
I did not know this was a thing, I should do this for my Space Transit Van.
Father Jack wrote:..other people to crash into.
What the chuffing fuck is going on right now? I've seen about a dozen people shot to bits inside the space stations, including a Lakon Type-6 which is over a mil. I've also seen a Type-7 which appeared to be trying to block the letter box - didn't succeed.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Trolls discovering anti-trolling mechanisms? I sure hope so.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

So the latest update finally makes playing together a feasible thing. Which means taking down those 120k bounties is a possibility even if you haven't managed to buy a fucking death star yet.

Does anybody fancy trying this at some point? We're probably scattered across the galaxy so we would need to meet up somewhere - I'm currently floating around Reddot somewhere.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I wouldn't mind, but just navigating to anywhere past a few systems away is beyond me. In fact most of this game escapes me.