Anyone know how well UT2004 will run (if at all) on my PC?

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

watashi-wa
Mouse
Mouse

Anyone know how well UT2004 will run (if at all) on my PC?

Post by watashi-wa »

I have a laptop - which means no graphics card updates :(

So, my laptop is as follows:

AMD Athlon Mobile 2.4Ghz
512mb Ram
64mb graphics card (pish, I know)

Will this run at ANY sort of speed whatsoever?
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Should be fine. Even on low detail it looks nice.
I'm on a 1.7Ghz with 64MB Graphics, and it's fine and dandy.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Yep Stoat is right, if anything UT2004 will run better than UT2003 would, because of the way they've optimised the memory in the 04 version.

You've got enough processor and ram to help push the game along, so as long as you don't stick everything on a high setting, you should find it works quite well. 8)

Download the UT2004 demo from here to try it out first http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php

P.S. Stoat, I'm lovin' the Squow avatar mate :lol:
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

yay for squows!

and yay for well optimised games; any of you guys tried Doom 3? i Swear that game will run on a typewriter if its configured right.

In an attempt to keep this on subject: Yes, you should run ok with that. A mate of mine has similar specs, and it runs just fine, albeit at not very high settings
watashi-wa
Mouse
Mouse

Post by watashi-wa »

Joose wrote:yay for squows!

and yay for well optimised games; any of you guys tried Doom 3? i Swear that game will run on a typewriter if its configured right.

In an attempt to keep this on subject: Yes, you should run ok with that. A mate of mine has similar specs, and it runs just fine, albeit at not very high settings

Doom 3 barely moves on mine :(
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I got a 128 meg ATi 9200 (i think) and its quite jerky even with low detail and screen size set to 640x480 :cry:

but... I have a cunning plan :twisted: As our IT Team are friendly with the Engineering lot im going to see if I can buy (or otherwise aquire) one of their old CAD Graphics cards (assuming it will fit/run on my PC) now THAT will be good!
watashi-wa
Mouse
Mouse

Post by watashi-wa »

Well, I shall try the demo sometime this week.

Fingers crossed!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

watashi-wa wrote:Doom 3 barely moves on mine :(

buh?

fabyak wrote:I got a 128 meg ATi 9200 (i think) and its quite jerky even with low detail and screen size set to 640x480

BUH?

Fabyak, you talking about Doom 3 there, or UT?

Ive got Doom 3 working on the computer of a guy who live across the road from me, and thats a 700Mhz thingy with 512meg of Ram and some old GeForce card i scavenged from my old computer. Its none too pretty and chuggs a little, but its playable enough for him to have completed it.

Theres a bunch of tweaks you can do to it to make it go faster by messing around with the .ini files. Look here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html

and here:

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/doom3/index.shtml

although, to be honest, i got bored with the game half way through and stopped playing. Theres a limit to how long distant muttering and zombies jumping out of cupboards can stay scary.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

fabyak wrote:As our IT Team are friendly with the Engineering lot im going to see if I can buy (or otherwise aquire) one of their old CAD Graphics cards (assuming it will fit/run on my PC) now THAT will be good!

Stay away from Quadro cards. Even though they are one of the most expensive cards on the planet, they are notoriously bad at just becoming "borked" for no apparent reason.

Both myself and another friend who works in I.T. have had to replace countless Quadro cards where they decide to go screwy for no reason.

They are nice cards, but only when the work! :wink:
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

I've been looking at ebuyer.co.uk..
GeforceFX cards are getting a bit cheaper. I may invest. Possibly.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

On the subject of Doom3

Post by mrbobbins »

It took a while to get it going but using trial and error with the custom tweaks i got it playable on my Matrox Parhelia 256mb, still not great though.