Roberts Space Industries

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Roberts Space Industries

Post by friznit »

Been watching this for the last 24 hrs and it's staggering. Not only does that guy have a very good handle on what makes his target customers wet themselves, but the ticker went from $4.5m with 20 mins to go to $6.5m. That's 2 million bucks in less than a day. That just has to make serious games investors sit up and take notice - there's a clearly a market for seriuz bizniz PC games out there, and that market has cash to spend. They need to start looking beyond Repeat Game VII and start thinking like proper game makers again.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I read an interesting article today about this, possibly in PCG. He went to the big publishers first (EA being a notable example), all of whom wanted him to release it on consoles too. He didn't like how that would compromise his vision by limiting the scope, and he didn't want it to become an annual release a-la COD. So he decided to fund it himself.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I was sure I'd backed this, but apparently I didn't. I can't help but feel I've lost an amount of money but I've forgotten what it was. Very unsettling.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:I was sure I'd backed this, but apparently I didn't. I can't help but feel I've lost an amount of money but I've forgotten what it was. Very unsettling.
Double check your emails just in case. If you funded it in the first couple of days of it going live via the backup site (before the KS went up as well), they were having all sorts of technical problems. I remember having to follow some links to a custom page on their site to link my actual order to their new system.

You'll now have to contact an admin if you do find you've an account and think you've pledged.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

This has been kicking around for a coupe of weeks. The bengal carrier wasn't an option to purchase but it is apparently going to be capturable. Though god knows how many people you'd need active and online just to keep it safe. For the record, I was clearly drunk in November and bought a Freelancer and a 300i

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I looked through the concept stuff for this a couple days ago. It looks awesome both inside and out. I guess it helps that the guy who did the initial design has worked on star wars and star trek and avatar and whatnot.

I like that it looks both elegant and manoeuvrable whilst also brutal and solid, just like aircraft carriers do to me. Both launching from and attacking it will be awesome.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I can't find any evidence of me backing this so I must have forgotten and convinced myself I had. Looking back on previous comments it would appear I was hanging on to see what it turned out like. It certainly looks the part.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Doggers, as an FYI if you do want to get the game, prices will be going up soon(tm), so now's the time.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Cheers Buzz, think I will.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-aurora-revealed/

Before Sunday would be good - there's a "$9mill reached" sale on at the moment which also gives you the coveted lifetime insurance and an upgraded starter ship.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'm intrigued by this, but I'm afraid that I might not play this enough, that I'd get bored and waste my subscription fee.
Last edited by Mr. Johnson on May 1st, 2013, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I backed last night. It's the $20 pauper ship and I didn't see anything about special offers.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Hmm, I get the option for subscriptions but the cheapest option for packages is $30, did you use the subscribe option pants or am I missing something?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I must have done the $30 one then.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I'm intrigued by this, but I'm afraid that I might not play this enough, that I'd get bored and waste my subscription fee.
Subscription is a bonus thing. Further downt there should still be a copy of game, copy of game + ship, copy of game + better ship etc etc list
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

HereComesPete wrote:
Mr. Johnson wrote:I'm intrigued by this, but I'm afraid that I might not play this enough, that I'd get bored and waste my subscription fee.
Subscription is a bonus thing. Further downt there should still be a copy of game, copy of game + ship, copy of game + better ship etc etc list
Personally, If I were signing up now, I'd pay $35 dorra and get the upgraded starter ship package over the now minimum $30 normal starter package (Digital Scout), mostly for the extra insurance and better guns.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I added $5 and upgraded so I didn't lose out. I was also tempted to plug for a skin, but if they're going to be available in-game later I'll just hang on and see if I like it/them.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Before I buy the starter pack, does anyone want a referral from me?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I don't think that link works, it just sends me to the main star citizen site.