7%

Total votes: 15

Binky
Mouse
Mouse

LeicesterLan

Post by Binky »

Howdy all,

This is a continuation of the thread here; http://5punk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 87#p253287

I was a bit dissapointed to hear that there were no 5punk lans regularly and thought I would look into the cost of hiring a scout hall out and filling it with Spunkers. Would anyone be interested in a Lan in Leicester at the Scout HQ there? The place has a huge hall, 2 dormitorys that sleep 20 each (bunk beds), showers, a huge kitchin whith plenty of beer chilling space and an internet connection so seems ideal. Let me know if you would be up for some lan gameplay as it is always nice to be able to gloat in person after taking someones head off at 1km.

If enough people are interested then the hire costs can be looked at and dates planned but there will have to be an entry fee to cover the hire cost of the hall.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Re: LeicesterLan

Post by TezzRexx »

I'd be up for it!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Fuck yeah
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

YES! :ahoy:
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

That's a good idea and it pleases me to see someone take initiative for it, but being foreign and poor I can almost certainly not make it. I hope you can make it happen though!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

All I know is Red Leicester is really fucking delicious.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Yeah!
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Hmm, possible...

Y'know, for the amount of time i've been here i've never delved in to the logistics of an actual LAN... Is it a case of bringing your own computer or just laptops or what?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

If your laptop can play all the games, then I don't see why not. Otherwise, bring your desktop.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

:likesitall: I does like a good lan, and it has been ages since a Prof(or any other)Lan
Although i46 this summer should aleviate the dry spell somewhat.

I can offer some help, networking kit etc. How many people are you thinking of? just for 5punkers or open to more?
The internet connection is probably the limiting factor.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Will there be scouts, or are they extra?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Legoshoes wrote:Hmm, possible...

Y'know, for the amount of time i've been here i've never delved in to the logistics of an actual LAN... Is it a case of bringing your own computer or just laptops or what?
Bring everything you normally have on your desk, usually. Some places prefer you leave your speakers at home and just use headphones though. At ProfLAN there are usually monitors going spare to save people the stress of hauling a sensitive 20-something inch screen around. First port of call is re-seating all your internal bits as they tend to shift in transport.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Grimmie wrote:...the stress of hauling a sensitive 20-something inch around. First port of call is re-seating all their internal bits...
Pffft, fix'd.
Binky
Mouse
Mouse

Post by Binky »

When the games list is put together there wont be anything that goes through the net to play (e.g. StarCraft) for that reason. We can potentially seat about 30 people if the net connection doesn’t throttle us. As I don’t know what the net would be like there would have to be a strict no downloading policy so no selfish people ruin it for the majority and to potentially allow us to play things like BF3 and SC2 if the connection allowed us.

We would limit things to 1 monitor per person as at previous events the power consumption and extra space of a second monitor has been an issue. Headphones would be a must as 30 sets of speakers would be awful so a big no no on speakers. I think just bringing them would get you an hour in the "private" room (see yesterday’s thread).

I have been talking to the Breachlan guys to try and get some of them to come along to get numbers up and got a few interested so far. If we can get 20-25 then that would be ideal to try out the venue. The only issue I can see is tripping the power out with all the hyper powered computers that would be coming.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I approve of this. Especially if it's in Leicester.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Binky wrote:I have been talking to the Breachlan guys to try and get some of them to come along to get numbers up and got a few interested so far.
As long as they know what to expect, at the first public LAN we went to I think we freaked out the normals :lol:
Soonarmar
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by Soonarmar »

mrbobbins wrote:
Binky wrote:I have been talking to the Breachlan guys to try and get some of them to come along to get numbers up and got a few interested so far.
As long as they know what to expect, at the first public LAN we went to I think we freaked out the normals :lol:
>Normal folk
>Breach folk

Choose 1
Binky
Mouse
Mouse

Post by Binky »

Me and Soonarmar are good examples of the breachlan guys. Just look at what Soonarmar gets up to... certainly not normal
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Hurray for non-normals!
Binky
Mouse
Mouse

Post by Binky »

I have had very positive responses from you folk and from the Breachlan guys so I am looking at dates now. I am thinking some time in August as there is a Breachlan on the 22nd of sept which I dont want it to clash with. The only way I can see this happening is if people booking a place and paying in advance as I cant take a £600-800 hit and hope to get the money back if people decide to turn up on the day. Once I get some dates from the venue if people can let me know if they want to come and which date is best for them then we can get the most people to come.

I will head up to leicester one weekend soon and socut out the place (anyone in the area is welcome to come allong) to take a load of photos and make sure the place is suitable. If we get one sucessful lan under our belt I will feel better about arranging others. Let me know what you think?