DayZ - ArmA2 Zombie survival

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Re: DayZ - ArmA2 Zombie survival

Post by fabyak »

So you mean that zombie was actually trying to just give me a cuddle, and our illicit love got you so enraged that you felt compelled to murder me so you didn't have to see it :(

ME AND MRRRNNGH (I think that was his name anyway) WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN, IN THIS DEATH OR THE NEXT

/too much coffee
Last edited by fabyak on May 20th, 2012, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Sorry mate, I mistook what was happening and lack of blood (and fucked up vision) impaired my judgement. I think I might hit Chernogorsk first before i head north this time.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Pnut wrote:I know have a murder on my debug section. Sorry Fab :cry:
Humans call them consciences.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:lol: No worries! Mrs Fab-in-law is over this week so I won't be able to play for a bit so I would have been fucked either way!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I'm on the ATC tower at the NW airfield, moderate zed presence.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Pnut wrote:Sorry mate, I'm a shit shot and out of all the things I managed to put a hole in it was you. I think I might hit Chernogorsk first before i head north this time.
Fix'd
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I had a go on this earlier and it was rather fun. Mostly I ran around in the dark for a while, accidentally threw 3 flares at my own feet, shot 7 zombies in the head, broke a leg, and finally bled to death. But it was good.

This was a good read too.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I saw Jim Rossignol tweet in anguish about the loss of his week old character.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I spawned in the sea, ran up onto the beach, checked a warehouse and a small gatekeepers hut then noticed some stuff on top of a big oil thingy. So I climbed up only to get spat off by bugs and fell to the ground to smash both my legs. After injecting morphine and bandaging myself I found instead of lying on the ground groaning and leaking claret I could crawl. So I crawled back to the hut only to fall down a small flight of stairs and re-open my wounds. I bled to death in a heap having never even seen a zombie or other person.

Now I'm finding it almost impossible to actually get on a server. But I'm hooked, just from the music and the tension that some fucking beast would come tearing out the forest and eat my face off.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:lol: We were talking about that last night, Berk has gone so far as to turn the music off, pnut only turned it down (which I wonder may have led to him shooting me :P). Personally I have it on normal as it's no bad thing to be shit scared
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Okay. I've been eaten twice, had a gunfight with a bandit and lost and followed a faint light ahead to find a village with a flare in the middle and a shit ton of zombies, in my attempt to back away I disturbed one and got zomraped. I've given up for now as the fear levels have tweaked my adrenaline to the point I'm light headed.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I had thought by now this would have turned into a pvp gankfest with vets sniping all the noobs. But I think the failings of the ArmA2 engine are actually working in its favour since you can only realistically managed 50 people per server, which on a map the size of Chernarus means meeting other people is fairly rare. Which ofc makes it all the more fun to shoot them in the face.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I've only had one person kill me so far.

On the other hand, I got a bit of support at the airbase, but died horribly (took about 30 zeds with me though)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

friznit wrote:I had thought by now this would have turned into a pvp gankfest with vets sniping all the noobs. But I think the failings of the ArmA2 engine are actually working in its favour since you can only realistically managed 50 people per server, which on a map the size of Chernarus means meeting other people is fairly rare. Which ofc makes it all the more fun to shoot them in the face.
I think that it's not the game engine at work too much (although it is a pain), but the actual game play. Unlike the vets in other sandboxes, aka EVE, who have bucket loads of cash or other resources they keep on death and can use to gear up near instantly upon respawning, that option isn't present in DayZ due to having to start from the bottom rung again when you die.

Even if you're part of a group, because of the severly limited personal inventory you can't really re-equip someone who has just died out of your "spares". Even when the group gets a vehicle and has large amounts of storage space, you've essentially got a mobile wardrobe with a bullseye painted on it.

There's also the fact that the starting gear owned by newbs is pretty naff, it's food, water, limited medical supplies, a Makarov + ammo and flares. All of the useful kit like chem lights, bigger guns, map, compass, flashlight etc have to be scavenged. After a while, killing noobs doesn't really gain you anything. To be a successful bandit you really need to prey upon the experienced survivors for the equipment they've scavenged, and you won't get experienced survivors by killing off all the newbs.

Not to mention firing a shot off generally brings the zeds in.

tl;dr: If you've got lots of gear, bringing attention to yourself by attacking someone isn't the best idea as it'll more than likely significantly up the chance you'll end up dying in the near future, it also might not be worth it on a material gain front.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I've been trying to play this (even though I said I wouldn't, oh well) but I won't let me on any servers. It tells me I have modified data files, the British armed horses DLC which I don't have. I can't unselect it in the expansions menu either, nor can I unselect any of the other things in there.
I might have something to with ARMA II, since I don't have it on steam, but I did place it in my steamapps folder.

Screens:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55869 ... EBC3B1DED/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55869 ... B370D439C/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55869 ... 3BB787A7C/

The last one is one that only seems to happen on certain servers.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Likely this is not a modified file issue, pretty much everyone has those as they don't own the games so it puts the lite versions in. (Although it doesn't list those on my mods even though it loads them)

Are you running dayz from an ArmaOA shortcut?

The addon folder may need to be in arma2 addons not OA addons in the steam apps folder.

Try running arma2, then arma2OA so it builds all the files needed. Re-enter any keys it asks for (my OA install asked or it twice) Then try dayz.

Otherwise it may just need you to get to the screen stating wait for host and just wait for 10-15 minutes as the central server is taking a hammering and it takes bloody ages to actually get in game.

Also if you haven't already, try this update here as it might not state it's needed if you updated both separately but it does add extra gubbins.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Just logged in, I appear to be a bird...
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

The female variety or the ones with wings?

Never mind, I have just logged on and spent 5 mins flying over the tree tops. It might be a ploy to get people off so they can push the update through.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Went on a different server and got straight in. How odd