Shadowrun Kickstarter

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Re: Shadowrun Kickstarter

Post by TheJockGit »

Just played first 2 Chapters, off hunting the Halloweeners next.... gotta say I am loving it so far :) :) :w00t:

Also noticed that because I did the Kickstart I have 10 downloadable DRM free copies... WIN!!! (though with it being DRM free I would have thought 1 would have been enough?)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I only played a few minutes and stared uncomprehending at the editor for a few minutes as well.

I liked that everything is in there when you're doing your character and I can see the potential of it being really interesting once it gets going, with all the things you will eventually be able to do. The first battle, where you can mostly only just shoot a gun didn't greatly enthuse me - "Oh I've got into cover and now there are some guys directly behind me? Thanks for that" - but I'm sure as I learn how to do stuffs rather than just having a quick click about randomly it will be more interesting.

Shame about no multiplayer, that makes it a rather less useful tool than I'd hoped.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I wouldn't be surprised if multiplayer is added in at a later date. Even if it isn't, the success of the project might inspire another system which does.

I'm enjoying the story so far. It's a little trope, although a noir style investigation is very refreshing in a videogame. I'm playing Jasper, or as close as I can to him, and my only complaint so far is that my ability to summon a spirit is dependent on where the level designers placed the spirit summoning points. On the other hand, they're fucking mean, so if I could summon them at will I might be somewhat OP.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:Ah, I only went for the cheapo backer option. No backer reward for me (apart from the game, obv).
Same for me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I reckon I'm close to the end of the stock campaign now. There are some glaring flaws in both the campaign and the engine - bad saving, no co-op, linear gameplay, cheesy plot - but I'm still enjoying it a lot. As I said before, it will be made or broke by the content, but the shipped run is good enough to show that the weaknesses of the engine can be overlooked for clever mission design. Looking forward to having a go myself.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Jock mentioned last night that he hopes they release the source for the shipped campaign as a reference. Turns out you can load it all into the editor. I'll have a poke around once I finish it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just finished the Dragonfall campaign. The original campaign was a little underwhelming in the end, but Dragonfall has been great. Tense and dramatic, and quite a bit of the combat is avoidable. The NPCs are reasonably interesting - it sticks to a smaller but deeper set of party members and contacts to give you chance to get a feel of them - and there are some tough but not particularly game affecting decisions. It's a pity you can't continue with your old character, but I enjoyed using Haynes's high social skills to smarm his way through the game, whereas I played Jasper and his friendly but bungling attitude in the first.