Tribes Ascend

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Tribes Ascend

Post by spoodie »

This is good fun. Never played any of the other games, so got nothing to compare. Much like the larger scale Unreal Tournament games and Section 8, which I guess may well have been inspired by earlier Tribes. Except the skiing mechanic seems to be unique to the Tribes games, which is awesome if you can pull it off. It takes some practice.

Here's Total Biscuit singing its praises:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HCnrU3FT8[/media]

I was sent 2 keys and used the latest one. So the older one may still work if anyone is interested in trying it?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Re: Tribes Ascend

Post by shot2bits »

looks like it could be a nice change from the more "realistic" shooters

wouldnt say no to trying that spare key
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Forwarded the email.

Protip: Turn voice volume all the way down so you don't have to listen to people spamming "shazbot" voice macro thingy.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i just looked and turns out i already got sent a key 3 days ago so ill just use that one if anyone else wants your spare
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I heard really good things about Tribes 2, but not about number 3, so hopefully this one (the fourth) is more like the second.
That's a pretty general comment I've just made isn't it?

Edit:

Speak of the devil, just checked my email. Only gone and got a beta key to this :D
I have NO idea that I ever signed up for it though. Hmm.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I paid them $30 for a VIP account because I love the original. This new game seems every bit as complicated and full of potential so I will probably start playing at some point. I am pretty sure I put up some beta keys for it as well.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I had a blast on TDM but wasn't really impressed. Lots of jumping about trying to hit people with a rocket launcher spinfusor. Maybe TDM isn't the best mode to play, but I didn't find anything satisfying about the combat. Any kill I got felt like luck rather than skill, and everyone was leaping about so fast I was just shooting at whoever was in front of me at the time. Skiing was quite fun though, chasing the flag carrier in a huge circle around the map at 120mph. Not bad, but nothing I'd play a lot.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:Not bad, but nothing I'd play a lot.
This is my opinion also, good for a quick blast now and then. And I really don't like TDM either, it's both frustrating and boring. CTF has lots more to do, turrets, radar and a generator to maintain and upgrade and also vehicles. I generally stay on defence as I'm not good enough at the standard combat, I repair, upgrade do some defensive combat.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I never played the original Tribes so I think my views of this one are relatively untainted by the pink sunglasses.
I picked this up yesterday to play, a friend of mine had recommended it and seeing as how it is free I figured I would give it a try.
Holy shit it's fun. I mean balls out fun and playable like the old school shooters used to be in MP, I may have even squeee'd when I first played it. The controls are snappy, the mechanics are understandable and the graphics have that UT (prior to 3) boldness and colour about them.
And of course there are jetpacks.
It's freee! Anyone up for a round or twelve this weekend?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I never played the original either. I've heard good things about it, but I just can't get past my comment above.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It is quite fun indeed! I don't see myself playing it for very long but I think it'll make a good 5punky game for a little while at least. I'm installing it on steam now for the convenience (previous install was the client) and am up for some games tonight!
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Dog Pants wrote:I never played the original either. I've heard good things about it, but I just can't get past my comment above.
I don't play for long periods of time either, an hour here and there - it is a good filler game and should be good with a lot of us on
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Tribes (and it's refinement Tribes 2) was the Daddy of team-based combat. It had ideas in that weren't incorporated into more mainstream games like UT2004 and BF2 years later, but unfortunately it's niche status led to the playerbase being a rather cliquey, unforgiving lot in the day. Now though, complex multiplayer combat games with various objectives are much more accepted, as long as they're not too complex, like Caek Wars.