Planetside 2

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Planetside 2

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm quickly getting over the 'what the fuck is going on' thing now and really getting into it. It feels like old school Battlefield on a grand scale. I'm still a lone tank hunter wibbling about, but I'm starting to locate myself so I die in more strategically important points now.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

It feels like the mothership vs mothership from futurebeef, only without the hideous lag, I quite like it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

This seems to be quite a nice tutorial on how bases work.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-idK9AJ_7Vo[/media]
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

His whole video series is quite handy. Annoying voice though. "Plant the bob, disarm the bob!"
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

The fact that this game costs fuck all amazes me, so much so that when a level two mows me down with some chaingun that he bought for $7 I'm happy that he bought it - otherwise the game can't continue. Sure the queueus during peak time are a nause but fuckit, I paid nothing to sit in those queues and I could quite happily wait to accumulate the certs to buy that chaingun - not ath
I'm pretty impressed with the balance too, in Beef the sights on your rifle increased the effectiveness of your weapon, some of the upper tier stuff was completely insane - PS2 sights have their uses and strengths and weaknesses (I'm currently using a 4x on my rifle which is nice for medium - long but shite up close) and can be bought at any stage of the game, you don't have tiers to work your way through. Flashlights not blinding you is also pretty nice.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm loving this, the battles are epic and drawn out over several battlefields, and once you get used to the intricacies of the interface it's not hard to find the action. Some people have said it's no good when played solo, but I disagree - you can barrel around following zergs and just making a nuisance of yourself, soaking up fire and keeping the enemy at bay while the squads who are fighting tactically concentrate on their objectives. Similarly you can go on the defence and man the guns. Last night I did both, as well as fighting a guerilla action against an attacking armoured column, hunting enemy tanks in the highlands in a magrider, and laying siege to an enemy station.

Last night I also, unwisely, shelled out £8 for 1000 station credits. I thought that would be more than enough to unlock a couple of class weapons for Heavy to cement my role as an anti-tank gunner, and have some change left over for a new camo pattern. I hadn't done my research - the guided AT launcher cost me 700, as would most weapons, and new camo would be 500, so I didn't have the money. That's £4 for a new camo pattern and £5.60 for a new weapon, which I think is pretty bloody steep. And they sell credits and goods in incompatible quantities so that you will always have a few hundred left over to entice you to buy a few more to make up the price of a new thing. The paid upgrades aren't really necessary, fortunately (I think the weapon I bought was pretty much the same as the default, but guided and with a scope).
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Some people have said it's no good when played solo, but I disagree
Quite. I had a lot of fun at one point doing a bit of "behind enemy lines" commando style stuff too. Not hugely effective to the overall war effort im sure, but sneaking around a largely empty enemy base, doing a little damage to stuff to get people to come and have a look and then giving them Bullet Surprise to the back of the head from a sneaky spot is extremely entertaining. I played hide and seek with a tank earlier. I won. I don't think he saw me at any point.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

The zerg stuff and solo works feels a little too much like a large scale version of deathmatch quake for my liking - a lot of run, die, respawn, repeat. Getting into a half decent squad with an active leader makes a big difference though.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Another anecdote, just to add strength to my argument. My entire game tonight as it happens.

I take off from the warp gate in a Scythe fighter. It's easy to fly but a little sluggish, probably because I'm not a pilot so haven't spent Certs on upgrading. I hover above the base and check my map. In the south of the continent I can see a Vanu held facility surrounded by red, Terran Republic. They probably overextended after a zerg victory earlier and got cut off. That means they're not generating resources for our empire, so I head over. After a short flight I start to see a furball in the distance, other Scythes intermingled with TR gunships and transports. It's hard to tell who's who against the starlit night sky, so I start jabbing Q as I target a silhouette. It shows as an enemy but seems to be hovering, which I've learnt often means someone has spawned it and used it as a taxi, then jumped out. I decide to kill it anyway as you still get experience. I approach it slowly and open fire, expecting to hammer it for a little while, when it takes off away from me. They must have been checking their map or watching the ground battle below. I follow on behind, still quite slowly, raking the slower gunship with cannon fire. It's fairly ineffective at avoiding my more manoeuvrable craft, but suddenly the tail gunner opens up on me. I quickly realise that they can beat me in a battle of attrition, so I start to barrel roll as I fire. It's no use though, I'm less accurate for it and am still taking fire. I disengage and dive for the deck to lose him as he limps away smoking, but it's too late. As my screen erupts in a fireball I see text pop up stating "+25XP Liberator Kill Assist". Looks like someone managed to finish him off just as he got me.

By this time the TR have recaptured the facility and my nearest spawn is a Sunderer APC on the edge of the purple Vanu territory, just north of the skull that marks on the map where I died. The Terrans are probably streaming towards that now if they've mopped up the last resistance at the old battlefield, so I spawn there as Heavy Assault, my anti-tank class. It's busy. On spawning I immediately see dozens of friendly infantry heading forwards towards a line of Vanu Lightning and Magrider tanks who are firing off into the distance down a valley. Climbing a small hill I can see another TR held facility, a smaller one, with half a dozen or so tanks trying to push forwards through the bottleneck of their shielded gate, against the concentrated fire of our own armour. Against the glow of burning enemy tanks I see tiny figures of infantry, out of most small-arms range, running around avoiding the explosions. I shoulder my Hades AT launcher and pick out a couple of enemy APCs moving through a copse of trees to the right of the gate. I get intermittent locks as my view is obscured by trees, and my profile on top of the ridge is attracting sniper fire, so I move behind the friendly tanks to the other side of the valley, keeping an eye out for over-eager tankies rolling up who might accidentally squish me. I make the other side, which is relatively quiet, and look for a better vantage point on the sneaky Sunderers I saw earlier. Before I crest the hill I notice some infantry coming down from the high ground towards the buildings on our perimeter. It's quiet around here, they're clearly trying to sneak past our undefended flank. I hunker down, peer through my IR sights, which highlights the enemy in stark white, and open fire with my LMG. At this range I'm not too effective, but I make them scatter and I'm marking them as targets for the rest of the team. Within seconds more Vanu troops begin to appear and start bringing down the leading enemy troops. Half a dozen or so Terrans are huddled in a depression against a peak above me, shielded from the fire of some of my comrades, and I get a couple of kills with short bursts before they drive me into cover. I pop up again after reloading and get another kill, but I'm running low on LMG ammo now. I chuck a blind-fired AT rocket into their midsts for good measure (missing everyone) and retreat back to the APC I spawned at for ammo and the hope of a medic. Meanwhile more allied troops are pushing up the valley side to see off the interlopers.

At this point the game crashed, which has been a problem tonight but not previously. It goes to show, though, that even solo you can have a game that rivals Battlefield in immediacy, but on a map where that was just one of several large scale battles involving hundreds of players.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

My characters seem to have disappeared after re-installing this, and my previous name is name unavailable :shakefist: So I am now "Sherfs", because I got bored of trying to think of anything that it would accept. Do we have an outfit yet? Not really enjoying it much solo, atm.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The vague plan seemed to be to join Friz's outfit, but we've not really organised anything yet.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

If you poke me in game I can invite you. They're quite well organised and lead proper teams, though they have their own Vent server (anyone's welcome to join ofc). It gives us the option to dick around as 5punkers or join a group of similar players if there're not many 5punkers around.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'm enjoying it so much I paid for 1 month. This includes 500 space credits, which I'll probably spend on the most garish/ugly camo or decal I can find.

Soloing is working out fine for me at the moment. It's easy enough to find battles and say to some extent: "I'm helping!".
friznit wrote:If you poke me in game I can invite you. They're quite well organised and lead proper teams, though they have their own Vent server (anyone's welcome to join ofc). It gives us the option to dick around as 5punkers or join a group of similar players if there're not many 5punkers around.
Would they expect me to participate in their activities all the time and join the Vent server?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote: I'll probably spend on the most garish/ugly camo or decal I can find.
I've got my eye on the purple tigerstripe personally.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

I've started to find my feet in this and enjoy it more after putting a few more hours in. I was trying to play as an engineer and help where I could because I assumed everyone would be playing the more shooty classes - trouble was, without a squad to back me up, I was just getting mullared all the time. I've switched to Infiltrator recently and just gone about annoying people where I can. Much better. I still die all the time, but at least I can take more than 5 steps before someone shoots me in the back, and I 've even managed a few solo tower caps.

I also had a look at the leader board earlier - one guy had over 4000 kills .... and 2 deaths. W the actual F. Obviously a pilot, but still crazy stats.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Or a hacker...

Actually, hacking should be a lot harder and I've not heard any cries of it so far. In fact smacktalking seems almost non-existant. I have seen shouts of "get out of here you Barney scumbags" and suchlike though, which is nice banter. Also, if people want to be friends please post your usernames here so I can update the FP. Ta.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I'm me. I'll be on as soon as my computer decides to behave like a normal computer being. Fucking thing decided to have one of those random Windoze special hard drive fits
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I made an error apparently, my character name is MullatoButts.
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

I'm Legoshoes, natch.

Also, this happened...
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hilarious things from tonight:

1. Quadriple Decker Magriders - Four magriders stacked on top of each other
2. Magrider Bowling - I career into said Magrider pile in a Lightning tank
3. Facelanding - Shoes carefully lowering his Galaxy dropship face first into a hill
4. Magrider Mountaineering - We got there in the end but the facility had been captured by the time we got there
5. Friendly AA Tank - Shooting a Galaxy with the mountaineering magrider, which turned out to be friendly and crashed while taking evasive action :oops:
6. Traffic Jams - Following a major victory everywhere looks like the centre of Rome with tanks bumper to bumper and infantry dying in the traffic in droves.
7. Magrider Tipping - Hitting a magrider in the side at full speed in a lightning, tipping it sideways (but alas not over)
8. Magmowers - Just as a facility falls to friendly troops the tanks steam in through the open shields and mow through the friendly infantry