POWERS ARE GOE

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Re: POWERS ARE GOE

Post by HereComesPete »

Some questions/ideas -

How are you going to handle giving out extra points (I assume this for character progression)?

Is that not linear growth as opposed to exponential?

I've been a bit wall of texted by all this re-visit so I'll just ask this - will this suffer from the same problem of 'odd numbers are rounded up' like SR does? IE pay for stat of 3, it's rounded up to 4, pay for stat of 5, it's rounded up to 6. This then allows you to not spend on the those extra attributes but benefit from them in some dice rolls.

If an explosion creates 4 or more different sources of damage, then surely something like a nuke is going to cause mad numbers of different effects that the gm is going to have to keep track of?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: POWERS ARE GOE

Post by Joose »

HereComesPete wrote:How are you going to handle giving out extra points (I assume this for character progression)?
Yeah, its basically XP. End of each adventure you get a dob of points depending on how well you did.
Is that not linear growth as opposed to exponential?
er....no? Well, the cost from one level to the next is a linear growth I suppose. I mean the cost is exponential in terms of getting to that level from level 1.
I've been a bit wall of texted by all this re-visit so I'll just ask this - will this suffer from the same problem of 'odd numbers are rounded up' like SR does? IE pay for stat of 3, it's rounded up to 4, pay for stat of 5, it's rounded up to 6. This then allows you to not spend on the those extra attributes but benefit from them in some dice rolls.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean here.
If an explosion creates 4 or more different sources of damage, then surely something like a nuke is going to cause mad numbers of different effects that the gm is going to have to keep track of?
Not really, no. An explosion wouldn't have 4 or more, it would have at most 4. But even in an absolutely worst case scenario, where you somehow have a power that does all the damage types (which would require it to be both hot and cold at the same time, mind), you are only talking 9 damage types. You only have to "track" them for that specific attack, after resistances are worked out it all gets put back together again as a lump of hit points for you to remove. You don't track fire damage that has been done to you separately from bashing damage or anything.