Phone Upgrade

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Phone Upgrade

Post by Wiggy »

Well, it's that time for me again. I currently have an iPhone 3GS (and a BB Curve 9300 for work) and I'm after opinions on what's good nowadays. Personally, I know next to fuck all about Android phones so I don't really have any idea on those. I'm drawn towards the new iPhone 4S, basically because I've never really had a problem with mine (until I threw it down the stairs anyway) and some of the new features (iCloud, PC-free updating) look good to me, plus it's such an easy phone to use.

Anyone got any ideas / suggestions?
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Re: Phone Upgrade

Post by mrbobbins »

I've got a BB so I can't help. I'd probably get an iphone if I didn't have a work BB though. Never even used an Android phone.
Daily Mash wrote:Blackberries are owned by people who think they're incredibly important, whereas iPhones are owned by people who think iPhones are incredibly important and Android phones are owned by poor people who don't matter.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/scie ... 110124414/
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is currently the best smartphone out there, has won phone of the year/gadget of the year from a few award type things and outperforms the iPhone 4S even though the S2 is 6 months old now.

I'd get either that, or wait for the Nexus Prime to be released for brand new Android and top of the line Samsung-ness. As you can probably guess, I prefer Android.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

If you want to stick to iOS, then yeah get the iPhone 4S. If you want Android, I'd wait for the Nexus Prime. I generally recommend sticking with the Nexus line because waiting for Android updates (that may never come in the first place) is an atrocity on Android.

I'd say unless you're bought into iOS, I'd check out the second generation of Windows Phone 7 products coming out now. The HTC Titan looks pretty good, and Nokia is supposed to announce their stuff soon.
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

deject wrote:Nokia is supposed to announce their stuff soon.
Yea, that's got a high chance of tempting me over to Windows phone.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

You bunch of dirty technology whores.

You want something chunky, retro and lacking in functions like I've got:

Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Xperia Play :D

Stick FPSE for Android on it and just sit back and play all the old PS1 games. I'm working my way through the Resident Evil series atm.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The latest Win Phone 7 update has brought it about on par with the iPhone. The original iPhone that is. It's still pretty backwards as an OS, although it does do some neat stuff like work out which song you're listening to and translate menus with its camera. I expect you can get apps for those things on the other platforms though. Not that I dislike WP7, far from it, but I couldn't really recommend it at the moment.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:The latest Win Phone 7 update has brought it about on par with the iPhone. The original iPhone that is. It's still pretty backwards as an OS, although it does do some neat stuff like work out which song you're listening to and translate menus with its camera. I expect you can get apps for those things on the other platforms though. Not that I dislike WP7, far from it, but I couldn't really recommend it at the moment.
That's selling it far short. The only way that WP7 is short of iOS these days is the app market. I'm not sure why you'd think it's backwards, it's just a more streamlined experience, by design.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Maybe I'm just overrating the other OSes then, as inexperienced with them as I am. It seems fast and smooth, but it just doesn't seem to do very much. At least you can use custom MP3s as ringtones now, even if you do have to make them less than 1MB. It would be nice if it gave me the option of not having it tell me when there's an American holiday. For two days my phone celebrated Columbus day without me.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:Maybe I'm just overrating the other OSes then, as inexperienced with them as I am. It seems fast and smooth, but it just doesn't seem to do very much. At least you can use custom MP3s as ringtones now, even if you do have to make them less than 1MB. It would be nice if it gave me the option of not having it tell me when there's an American holiday. For two days my phone celebrated Columbus day without me.
The idea behind WP7 is that you're supposed to be able to just glance at your phone and get the info you need and be done with it. It's designed to present the important info up front. Facebook and Twitter are deeply integrated into WP7 as well so that you don't need to mess around with starting an app if you want to tweet a photo or message someone on Facebook. It's a big change from the traditional model, but that's why I like it. I've put myself into a corner because I've bought too many apps on my iPhone 3G, so I'm going to be getting the 4S here in another week or so, but otherwise I would skip iOS entirely. With the Mango release, WP7 is pretty much on par or better in terms of major OS features (i.e.: multitasking, etc.) so it's definitely no also-ran.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The social networking thing passed me by. I don't do Twitter and Facebook doesn't seem to work on my phone. Now give me a Steam app and I'm convinced.

Oh wait, I have a Steam app. Erm, consider my argument void.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

My issue with win7 mobile is thats its a great concept done badly. The idea of having facebook and such integrated so that you can see everything at a glance is a good one, but it seems to not work right for a lot of people, and when it goes wrong it can go epic wrong. For instance, the first Live account you put on gets locked in, and the only way to delete it is to reset the phone software. Shit like that is retarded.

Plus, if im honest, I prefer things to not be all mushed together. If I want to look at facebook, opening the FB app takes all of a second. Same with twitter. If I was faced with the entirety of my social media all at once it would be a horrible information overload, and i would just end up ignoring all of it.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:My issue with win7 mobile is thats its a great concept done badly. The idea of having facebook and such integrated so that you can see everything at a glance is a good one, but it seems to not work right for a lot of people, and when it goes wrong it can go epic wrong. For instance, the first Live account you put on gets locked in, and the only way to delete it is to reset the phone software. Shit like that is retarded.

Plus, if im honest, I prefer things to not be all mushed together. If I want to look at facebook, opening the FB app takes all of a second. Same with twitter. If I was faced with the entirety of my social media all at once it would be a horrible information overload, and i would just end up ignoring all of it.
It's definitely not for everyone. I mostly love the style of WP7, it is so much sleeker and sweet looking than iOS or Android. Still, I can see how getting all your twitter and facebook stuff all the time can be bad if you aren't used to/don't want that.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

Cheers all for the input. I'll have a think and maybe go play with some phones in the shop, see what takes my fancy. I'm still leaning towards the 4S but I'm going to at least look at Android so I can make an informed decision.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Just saw this: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/noki ... -lovechil/

Not sure when it's coming out, but hot damn that is one sexy phone...

edit: Also, Galaxy Nexus just got announced, also looks really sexy:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/sams ... -hands-on/
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Samsung's just busted out the planet's first Ice Cream Sandwich-based smartphone
I can't help but laugh :lol:

I must be super uncool because that's the first time I've heard that name, hence the lols.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I was hoping it was going to be an Onion News or Daily Mash link where someone had stuck a picture of the phone onto an actual ice cream sandwich.
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

If you're buying a new phone now, Galaxy Nexus is by FAR the best choice.

...in my opinion...
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

eRabbit wrote:...in my opinion...