Phone Upgrade

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Phone Upgrade

Post by Joose »

deject wrote:I constantly get error messages about not being able to sync my phone.
Are you using (or trying to use) wireless sync? If you are, I recommend the following fix: Don't. Its shitty.
Nearly all smart phone batteries only last about 24 hours, less if you use it more throughout the day (internet, vidya).
:? Mine lasts all day, even with doing extensive internetting and music playing. If I dont really use it, it'll last days.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Mine lasts alright, I think mostly the shitty poor signal around here rapes my battery, but I get a few days standby, or 1-2 days if i'm using it a lot.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I ordered a Samsumg S3 on release, but have't got it yet, as the blue ones have been delayed for at least a month and I didn't want a white one. I didn't want an iPhone 4S with the 5 reportedly out later this year and most reviews placed both of those above the HTC One X, which was the only other quad-core device I saw. I was buying for the future, 2 years at least, and wanted muscle. Also it was the newest and most expensive and I had just received a generous amount of overtime money for working the May Bank Holiday weekend.

I hated my Windows (Mobile (6), not Phone (7)) HTC and replaced it with a Nokia E71 (aka FakeBerry), but rather than emails (which the E71 is great at, with a mini keyboard) I now want to use it more for Web and Apps. With Nokia, RIM (Blackberry) and even Sony looking to be in financial trouble, that left Android and iOS.

I'm no fan of Apple stuff, but the iPhone is a good device which I would overlook my prejudices for (although I'd have to get a really grotty case, just because) and while I'd worry about it's direct interoperability with my PCs, it does all the web/cloud-based stuff like Skype and Dropbox, so I'd never actually need to link it up directly or use iTunes, just get a PC to dump everything in Dropbox. It was more the worry of the impending iPhone 5 and that the technology inside is kinda old which put me off.

Android isn't all flowers and butterflies either, though. As deject noted, the number of phones with the latest version is pretty small, which kind of hints that you need a decent amount of horsepower to drive it. It doesn't end there though, as even having a certain version is no guarantee you can run a certain app - it is (ludicrously) hardware-dependant. We tried to get BBC iPlayer going on my Dad's Galaxy Ace - it has Gingerbread (2.3) and iPlayer is supposed to work on 2.2 or later. However it depends on Flash, which for that particular phone, there is no "compatible version". At least with iOS you're pretty much guaranteed your hardware is compatible with the apps in the store, as it's always Apple.

Back when I had my Windows HTC, I thought Windows Mobile was a world-beater, as the range of compatible apps stretched back years, encompassing all the old WindowsCE programs. Sadly it was slow, glitchy and unreliable and Microsoft look to be drawing a line under existing devices with Windows 8, as they did with Windows Phone which wasn't backwards-compatible - so they will be starting from scratch again with a new App Store with only freshly-compiled apps. A standing start in a market this competitive is not a good one in my view.

I did briefly consider an iPod Touch, which is a bit like an iPhone without the phone or a small iPad, as I questioned whether I really needed a phone when I was almost always within wi-fi range - but unlike my previous PAYG tariffs, I've gone for a contract this time with a decent data limit, so I don't have to be afraid of using it wherever I am - so can use things like the satnav with traffic updates.

I've always plugged my phones in at night so never had a battery run out, but I guess it would become an issue if you were unexpectedly away for a few days. I'd probably buy a car adapter or second charger if I thought I might need it.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Yeah I think I might disable Wi-Fi syncing. It doesn't work at least half the time anyways.
Wifeyberk
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Wifeyberk »

Went for the HTC one X. Had it a couple of days now, rly impressed with the phones memory capacity (32 gig) and it's 1080p 4.7" screen, beatiful video's on there. Plus it's android so I'm not tethered to Apple as one product, I have the option to chop and change as I want. At the moment, I can't see anything I dislike about it, obviously that can change when you get used to a phone but I'm more than happy and highly recommend one.

I was pushing for an Apple Iphone 4S because they're more gadgety and more like my style but I'm glad I didn't now, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the apple one, mostly about the Siri bit.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Siri is worthless. I seriously have not used it even once to do anything real.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I use it quite often. To set a timer when I'm cooking pizza, as it is microscopically easier than doing that by hand. That is literally the only thing I use it for.
Wifeyberk
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Wifeyberk »

Heard that most people have problems when using siri if they have a particularly strong accent. Also heard today how the Samsung S3 screen although advertised as quite sturdy, is in fact shite. A mate of mine dropped hers 2 foot whilst bending down to tend to her toddler and it dropped onto a thin rug on top of laminate flooring. The screen was badly cracked as there is (allegedly, because I only have her word for this) a weak point on the screen that if caught just right will crack it no matter how high you drop it or anything. Samsung are charging her an extortionate amount for the replacement as "it's such a new phone", and she didn't take out the insurance on it so she's having to cough up again for a phone she's barely used.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Thread resurrect!

My old phone decided to die today so im going to order a new one tonight, ive not had one of these fancy smart phones yet and was probably just gonna get an iphone 4s but thought id see if anyone had any recomendations first.

I was originally going to get an android phone but they seem to go out of date very quickly and you have no way to know how long untill you cant update your handset anymore and i hadnt heard much about the current windows phones, last i heard they where still having some teething problems whereas the only problems ive heard about the iphones is the slightly higher entry price.

So what say you lot? anything i should give a look or should i just stick with getting the iphone?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Well, I had a play on my bro's new Sony Xperia U t'other day. I was quite taken by it atlhough would go for the slightly larger P version.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

New iPhone is supposedly going to be announced September 15th, so I would hold off on buying an iPhone 4S at the moment. Galaxy S III is apparently the new hotness in Android. I'd steer clear of Windows Phone 7 for now since they won't be upgradable to Windows Phone 8 which is supposed to be coming out shortly.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Galaxy S 3, HTC 1X and iphone are the leaders at the moment. Sheer ease of use puts the iphone out front. Nothings is quite as simple as that, I loathe itunes and dislike how retarded apple are about things such as memory ports and removable batteries.

The new iphone will likely come out and be really bloody expensive, even the old ones haven't really dropped in price too much.

Personally I'm a fan of the 1X. There's a few users on 5punk so possibly worth poking someone like Pnut for a first hand review.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FUCK ITUNES
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

deject wrote:FUCK ITUNES
:above: so hard.

Saying that though, if they could just make the podcast software on the iphone itself a little more friendly, I could quite happily stop using itunes altogether. I use Spotify for my music and get all my updates direct to the phone, and backup goes to the cloud.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:
deject wrote:FUCK ITUNES
:above: so hard.

Saying that though, if they could just make the podcast software on the iphone itself a little more friendly, I could quite happily stop using itunes altogether. I use Spotify for my music and get all my updates direct to the phone, and backup goes to the cloud.
Well, I'd still need iTunes for loading music on the phone (fuck paying $10/month for Spotify, Rdio, etc.) but I really hope they fix the Podcast app. It absolutely needs a some work, like a wi-fi only download option (as it nearly used up my data plan in about 4 days).
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Can you not use winamp? works with ipods.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Can you not use winamp? works with ipods.
Nope. The iPhone uses some different method of putting music on it, because Winamp won't even recognize one. Believe me, I'd so much rather use Winamp. Apparently MusicMonkey will do it, but if I'm going to have a program just for managing music on my iphone, I'll just use iTunes and deal with it. iTunes manages apps and all sorts of stuff that is still easier than trying to do it on the phone, so I'll still be using it for the foreseeable future.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Right, I'm looking at a possible upgrade for my phone. I'd really like a nice smartphone and have pretty much decided on the Sony Xperia U, though I wouldn't mind the P version of it either. The biggest problem for me is the fact that phones are pretty expensive over here, so I was wondering if they were any cheaper in the UK.
Could any of you fine bitches tell me;

-the average price is for either of the mentioned phones so that I can check whether it makes a difference or not.
-if I can actually use it over here (I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem but I'm not too smart in these matter so I figured I'd ask)
-if someone is willing to package and ship it my way when I decide on buying. Naturally you'll get paid in advance and will receive first rate bumhuggings.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Usually the best deals here are to be found with a very expensive phone bundled with a telco, as you can often get a contract over two years costing in total what it would have done to buy the phone outright but you get all the calls and data for effectively nothing. With the cheaper phones, it's usually best to buy outright and pay as you go, as there are few contracts lower than £10 a month.

I'm guessing a no-sim, unlocked phone will work fine in Belgium, but I don't know - might be worth doing some research on the relevant frequencies. The U is around £140 and the P about £220. Personally I'd look more towards the P, as it has 13GB usable memory for apps as opposed to the U's 4GB, though neither of them have a card slot for possible expansion. The Sony Xperia sola might be worth a look, with 5GB usable memory but with a card slot for up to a 32GB microSD, it's around £160.

I'd wait if you can though as Sony are about to release the Xperia T and V as respectively high and mid end phones, which might overlap into that price range, or least decrease the price of the existing phones. Both have more memory, microSD card slots, screens and other specs equal to their current top-of-the-line S and will ship with Android v4.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, I have to wait anyway as buying one now is a bit too risky what with my rent and not having a job for half a year and all. I also don't think I have to hassle one of you to buy it for me, some amazon sellers ship to europe so I can just use that. If there are any online other UK sellers that ship just the phones, let me know!