Re: Beef 3 Beta

Post by HereComesPete »

Join the 5punk platoon ladies!
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I would but I have an issue with Origin's cunting system for using your account name as an in game name. I could just make another account but I won't play much more so will just wait till release to sort that out.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

After trying for an hour last night I gave up, I managed to join a server a few times, once I even spawned!, but I didn't have long enough to change my settings before being killed, then my PC locked up, I tried a few times this morning but every time I click join server my PC crashes :roll:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

What are your pc specs mr bobbins?

Also the usual - drivers - any error messages etc?

And with threef - make sure the plugins for battlelog installed properly. Without them working properly it's a bitch.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Mine crashes a lot :(

Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Insta-death in action.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvDZTFoe18[/media]

The guy who shot me has an assault rifle. My health goes 100% -> 32% -> 0%. I've heard damage is high but I think this is just lag, which I'm completely pessimistic about not being any better at release.

It's not even a worst case example, sometimes I drop dead with no indication at all. And as I've said before, dying after taking cover, unloading half a clip into someone before they return fire and dying first etc.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

The directional damage indicator seemed to show it was hitting you in the head. I know it's only a game, but the AEK-971's ammo looks a bit like this:

Obviously (since bullets aren't rockets) only the black bit is what hits you, but at well over the speed of sound even something only ~5mm wide and pretty pointy hitting you in the face is going to make a hole straight through your head without stopping for directions. That would usually be fatal.

I'm sure there's probably lag and server issues, making it so that some people's shots don't "officially" land where they're aimed, but I always find it a little strange when in-game people are like "I got shot, and I died WTF?" when in real life any single-gunshot head wound victims are very lucky to survive.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

The picture lesson was a little unnecessary :P I'm sure you understand when it comes to games and films etc that realism is contextual and can't be quantified. It's just whatever feels right and makes sense within the setting.

When it comes to bullet damage, real life characteristics shouldn't have much impact on the game, it should be just whatever makes it a fun experience. It's a damn good thing they're not like real bullets, the game isn't set up for that.

Maybe it's hard to explain if you don't feel the difference between the normal way of dying and dropping dead like that, which you need to experience for yourself.

Anyway, I hear there's a bug which can cause much higher damage when the target is moving. So probably that in conjunction with a bit of lag.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

FatherJack wrote:Obviously (since bullets aren't rockets) only the black bit is what hits you
Unless it's fired from a Portal turret.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dunno why you think that's strange, you can get insta death in other Beef games.

Sure, normally it's sniper based death, but I'm quite handy on the ol' headshot front, especially when using a shotgun loaded with slugs on Bacons. I often knobble people with a single shot.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

buzzmong wrote:Dunno why you think that's strange, you can get insta death in other Beef games.
This game does seem a littler harsher than previous ones though. But you just have the adjust and be more careful. And I think I'm already sick of seeing that hand animation as you're dying, they need a couple more for variety.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I caved and started playing. First impressions for me are good. I like the game dangerous - in BACON I'd be in trouble faced with the backs of two or more enemies simply because I needed at least half a mag of ammo to kill one of them, leaving me reloading before the next was dead. In this I don't feel as though I have to reload every time I take a shot. The only thing that's bothered me so far are the lack of configurable mouse buttons, leading me to flail my knife around instead of throwing a grenade. I'm certain that'll be fixed for release.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I've been loving the damage levels. Bacons feels like you're firing wet tissue blobs sometimes and as such you feel quite safe to charge at people who are blatting rounds at you and stick a knife in them.

Yes threef is more hardcore, but it's on a par with beef. Dolphin diving is pretty much gone as the combined action pulls sights away and has a small delay in when you start firing. Bunny hopping doesn't work too well either as throw a few jumps in and your guy slows right down, again the weapon isn't in hand in the animation and you have a small delay in firing.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

HereComesPete wrote:What are your pc specs mr bobbins?

Also the usual - drivers - any error messages etc?

And with threef - make sure the plugins for battlelog installed properly. Without them working properly it's a bitch.
I have:
E6600 Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
4 Gb (but win 7 32 bit)
GTX 460 768mb

It actually ran today for a round, really smooth, looked great, I didn't look through the menu options (other than to invert look) so no idea what graphics settings it chose.

It did eventually lock up though so can't be bothered to try again, it's making me want an SSD to help my boot times!.
I have to say the fact that you can only change settings while spawned is just retarded

I tried it on PS3 too, it worked fine of course but gave me such rage after 5 minutes I never want to try that again.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I have just noticed there is a vehicle called a Growler...
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Awesome, I've always wanted to get in your growler and ride it like an offroader.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I wonder how many people can fit in it?
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
Enemy growler spotted
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I unlocked the mortar, but it's not available in the beta. :(
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I didn't have a reason to rage before, but I sure do now. I reinstalled the game to make sure I got all the updates (I still think it updates automatically) when I try to play a round the game simple doesn't start. I get the 'starting game' screen on origin, which promptly disappears but that's all it does. I tried reinstalling again but to no avail, I can't get the bastard to run.