Rage!

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Rage!

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Apparently it's out next week, that snuck up on me rather.

Thoughts?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Rage!

Post by buzzmong »

Cautiously optimistic and waiting for reviews.

There's no doubt Carmack is a technical genius and I fully expect this next generation of the id engine to be spectacular (mega textures, look them up), but id's last couple of games have been a bit meh. Doom 3 was very pretty, but bland and repetitive, and oddly, boring. Quake IV had more action, but again it was missing something. The people who made id's good games haven't worked there for a bit either.

There's also something that doesn't ring well with id being bought out by Zenimax (aka, Bethsoft) last year. I wonder if a studio that was staunchly independent at one point ran into money issues ala 3DRealms, but sold up instead of folding, has had its development processes altered or pushed to get the game out.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Yeah, it looks quite pretty, but it also looks a bit "generic run around shooting mens game" like. Not that I have anything against manshoots as such, but i need something more than just that.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I have very little interest in Rage. With the BF3 beta, Dead Island, Space Marine, Red Orchestra 2, Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Renegade Ops, and Bastion to play, I really don't have time either.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

deject wrote:With the BF3 beta, Dead Island, Space Marine, Red Orchestra 2, Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Renegade Ops, and Bastion to play, I really don't have time either.
Jeebus!, I just finished Fallout New Vegas and started Arkham Asylum. I'll come back in 12 months and see if Rage was any good :lol:
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

mrbobbins wrote:
deject wrote:With the BF3 beta, Dead Island, Space Marine, Red Orchestra 2, Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Renegade Ops, and Bastion to play, I really don't have time either.
Jeebus!, I just finished Fallout New Vegas and started Arkham Asylum. I'll come back in 12 months and see if Rage was any good :lol:

I just finished Lonesome Road, which was OK, but not spectacular. Old World Blues is the best one of the bunch in my opinion.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

There was Quake Wars, which had mega-something but the game didn't really grab me. I think the new tech is more for devs, but enhances the mega, possibly making it Mega.

I'm about ready for a new shooter without too many ridiculous gimmicks, bit of racing and a bit of RPG and without other players spoiling it.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

deject wrote:I have very little interest in Rage. With the BF3 beta, Dead Island, Space Marine, Red Orchestra 2, Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Renegade Ops, and Bastion to play, I really don't have time either.
Conversely I view the above as such.

Dead Island - zombie survival huh? Bit late to the bandwagon.
Space Marine - don't waste money buying this. It's boring.
Red Orchestra 2 - I'll probably grab a copy when it's not buggy as fuck and costs a lot less.
Hard reset - UT meets day of sex, their bastard child is quite pretty, but dumber than a bag of bricks.
Serious Sam 3 - I enjoy them, but I can never get excited about them, I quite like stories.
Renegade ops - tiny cars with guns on? Looks a bit boring to me.
Bastion - levels like magicka on acid, worth a further look.

However, Rage - It looks nice, offers what looks like a story I'll enjoy, big guns, driving and open worldyness. I'm buying it and I'd buy it over all the others.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

HereComesPete wrote:
deject wrote:I have very little interest in Rage. With the BF3 beta, Dead Island, Space Marine, Red Orchestra 2, Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Renegade Ops, and Bastion to play, I really don't have time either.
Conversely I view the above as such.

Dead Island - zombie survival huh? Bit late to the bandwagon.
Space Marine - don't waste money buying this. It's boring.
Red Orchestra 2 - I'll probably grab a copy when it's not buggy as fuck and costs a lot less.
Hard reset - UT meets day of sex, their bastard child is quite pretty, but dumber than a bag of bricks.
Serious Sam 3 - I enjoy them, but I can never get excited about them, I quite like stories.
Renegade ops - tiny cars with guns on? Looks a bit boring to me.
Bastion - levels like magicka on acid, worth a further look.

However, Rage - It looks nice, offers what looks like a story I'll enjoy, big guns, driving and open worldyness. I'm buying it and I'd buy it over all the others.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on some of your negatives there.

Space Marine is not boring, the game just feels really meaty and lets you cause a shitload of mayhem. I guess if you really don't like the WH40K setting or stomping in Ork heads like a badass then it could be boring. The multiplayer is pretty cool as well.

Hard Reset has pretty much nothing in common with Deus Ex at all, not sure where you're getting that from. It has upgrades I guess, but that's not anything like any of the Deus Ex games. It's definitely an old-school shooter, but it's totally competent. I only played the first two levels so far, but I'd like to play the whole thing to the end.

Renegade Ops: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ren ... s/17-4885/ How can you think that's boring? Well controlling dual stick shooter with lots of sweet-ass explosions. BORING AMIRITE?

Dead Island has me in a pickle. I just don't know how far I'm going to make it. The public co-op is god awful. If someone joins your game (which can happen at any time by default) they'll most likely just run around stealing all the zed kills and finishing all your quests so that you have no idea WTF is going on, in your own game. Still, breaking a zombie's arm with a well placed smack from a hammer is satisfying. If the BF3 beta wasn't coming out this week I'd probably play more of it for now. It's like if Borderlands was a melee focused game, which isn't going to be as much fun.

And how can you not love Serious Sam for hilarious co-op mayhem? SS3 looks like the original games with the shiny new graphics, fucking brilliant.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

deject wrote: I'm going to have to disagree with you on some of your negatives there.

Space Marine is not boring, the game just feels really meaty and lets you cause a shitload of mayhem. I guess if you really don't like the WH40K setting or stomping in Ork heads like a badass then it could be boring. The multiplayer is pretty cool as well.
It does feel meety, but I love the WH40K setting, and I got bored before the end of the demo.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:
deject wrote: I'm going to have to disagree with you on some of your negatives there.

It does feel meety, but I love the WH40K setting, and I got bored before the end of the demo.
I never played the demo, but I did beat the game, and as long as you don't mind some console-ishness, it's a load of fun. I heard the demo was pretty shitty, so it may just be a case of the worst demo ever, but the game is appropriately challenging and every section with the jump pack and thunder hammer are just pure joy. The Melta Gun is also super satisfying. I beat it in about 7 hours so it is a tad short probably, but I was satisfied with it, and the multiplayer will let you decorate your Spayice Maareeen in a wide range of colors (including magenta).
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I'll probably give it a go when it gets budgety, but I've got enough games going at the moment.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:I'll probably give it a go when it gets budgety, but I've got enough games going at the moment.
Yeah it's not a must play by any stretch, but it's a fun romp in my book.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Played a couple of hours so far and it's enjoyable enough. It looks amazing, especially with my new GTX560. Although I did have to spend 10 mins enabling vsync and improving the texture loading, editing config files, etc. But I didn't need to do this, it was good without the messing about. And having a game run at a guaranteed 60fps whatever is quite a treat these days.

The combat is the real meat of this game and it's very id and flawlessly executed, from what I've seen so far. The rest is padding, but highly polished padding that's no bother at all.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

After all the drama and internet angst over this I'm glad it's a decent game. I'll probably add it to the list of reserve shooters for picking up in Steam sales (since I've still not finished Deus Ex).
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Running ATi as I do there's some rather serious problems with the megatextures right now, but from the 20 minutes I've played it feels like a lot of time has gone in to the mechanics. The engine is (as you would expect) a beast, scaling quickly and delivering some good looking graphics. Unfortunately a few bugs in terms of the graphics auto detection system and what level of quality it shows you have crept in, but they should be resolved very quickly.

Combat is meaty and visceral, you know you're getting shot or stabbed very quickly and very obviously. Can't really tell you any story spoilers yet as I'm only just getting started and it's a bit bewildering so far.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:(since I've still not finished Deus Ex).
I can't muster up the enthusiasm for that any more. It's a fine game, just very wordy and story heavy. RAGE is the opposite and I think I prefer that. Just getting on with the game.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Has anyone tried the co op on this yet?