Hnghh.

Very bladerunner.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Prey 2

Post by buzzmong »

Why bother calling it Prey 2?

Not only was the first gam a bit meh, but this seems to have nothing at all linking it to it.
Human Head being behind it could be interesting now they've got Bethsoft backing it rather than 3DRealms.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

That was a nice film
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

buzz, are you yahztee? do you have to pick fault with every thing?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Pnut wrote:buzz, are you yahztee? do you have to pick fault with every thing?
Yes :)

I know I've been doing it a lot recently, but I've been dissapointed with new games recently.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Anything that distances it from Prey can only be good, but I can understand why they think the name has value. Notwithstanding that their bean counters probably have an exact figure of how much more a known IP will net over a new one, the first game was admittedly impressive for maybe the first hour of play.

I actually finished Prey, though it was quite a struggle - and I don't mean because it was hard - and I can't see anything here that ties the two games. Supposedly you are a dude that was on a plane that you saw briefly crash into the spaceship of the aliens who were abducting everyone and in addition have met the protagonist of the first game at some point, but that all sounds like massive bullshit and they just made this new game and decided to call it Prey 2 later on. I don't think that's actually the case, and there will be more ties-ins as the game progresses - you might start out as the (nearly) only human and a bounty-hunter on an alien world, but later on I expect a Sphere or two will show up and start filching peoples from this new world. Like the Borg. Or the Strogg.

Whether the trademark localised gravity, portals and spirit wanking wil make it into the new game is very doubtful. They weren't very novel at the time and became significantly less so with each drudgerous step you took in the 2006 game. The target-lock thing shown in the video didn't exactly make me lose my monocle as a startling innovation and the combat suit is hardly even remarkable. My guess would be they drop the gravity and portal puzzles as they've had their arses handed to them on that front and replace the animal spirits bollocks with some technological alien bollocks that does kind of the same thing.

That said, I'd like to be surprised by this, and the promise of an open-world style in an alien city is one that appeals enormously.