Kerbal Space Program

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Kerbal Space Program

Post by buzzmong »

Noticed this in the latest PGG. It's about building rockets and stuff, while incoporating a Spore-like creature builder (just applied to rockets).

PCG seem quite taken with it, it's certainly cutesy but semi serious (actually, quite serious. Srzbzn even). Might be worth a look, it's also free for now as it's in Alpha.

More here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com

(It's only 65mb as well).
Last edited by buzzmong on September 7th, 2011, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by Joose »

thats quite entertaining. Also, I deserve to be tried for some sort of warcrimes against the Kerbal people.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That's quite fun. Somewhat pointless at the moment, and I've not managed to kill anyone yet, but still pretty amusing. I'll keep an eye on it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I spend ages building elaborate spaceships with tons of thrusters, but everything failed spectacularly. In the end I build a simple rocket without wings and a single thruster and suddenly I'm in space. hm.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I made it, at last topped out at 246k

Also, moving the camera so you're looking down on the rocket makes it waaaaay easier.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I bought this earlier today. I realise I made a mistake and should have purchased it when it was like £8.00 or something. It's now $18.00 but money well spent.

Lots of changes, lots more things. Now version 0.16.
Also, spaceplanes, EVA's. The Mun (one of the two moons) which you can do an Apollo-esque land and even drive a buggy around upon.

It's rather improved I must say, and the dev blogs on their forums are aces. Lots of cool stuff in the making.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Huh, odd, been playing this again recently, but not bort it.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'm tempted by it, perhaps when it's a bit riper. But I have been watching this blokes videos about it. At its best when he fails.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

spoodie wrote:At its best when he fails.
Yes, oddly, it's where this game shines. I've been both semi-frustrated but really enjoying myself while trying to build a small jet plane which looks something like an F16.

And it's terribly amusing when stuff goes wrong unexpectidly, like a rocket booster seperater not working last night and causing everything to go wrong
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Nnnnng. I love the game, but the amount of unmarked but incredibly useful controls is irritating:

B key. Hold down to use the wheel brakes. Useful when landing on runways or taking off (let the jet engines spool up).

WASD and QE: In build mode, WASD+QE let you move parts around and QE rotate them on an axis by 90.
Left Shift + WASD/QE: Holding left shift and using rotate will rotate them in 5 degree implements. Which is amazing.

Knowing the final one lets you actually make proper aircraft shaped things rather than struggling with the fixed points on the parts.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFehUQojGkU[/media]

Just a reminder that KSP will be going up in price when 0.18 is released, so it's the last couple of days to buy it at $18.00.

It's worth it, mostly because 0.18 is adding quite a bit of new content like docking, electricity and other do-dahs.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Bought for $23 (or £14.81). It says $18 on the product page, but whatever, it's only a few quid.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

There's a new demo out (based on 18.2), it's got some limitations obviously, but it's a good glimpse into what state the game is currently in. It's a big improvement over the old demo though.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

0.19 is out, big features are proper wheels for rovers (and new structual parts) and reentry effects!:

(Credit to spikeyhat09 from the KSP forums)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Look at his happy little face as he plummets to his fiery death :aww:
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

It's nice to see games you've supported since early alpha making it to the big leagues as it were:

KSP now available on Steam as an Early Access title
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I'm interested in a few of the recent Steam early-access titles, but you can still save yourself a few quid by buying them directly or through Desura in some cases.
MIkkyo
5pork
5pork

Post by MIkkyo »

Spend over a grand on new gaming Pc, fight of hordes of demons fixing the heatsink. Still only play KSP which runs on your 200 quid netbook.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

MIkkyo wrote:Spend over a grand on new gaming Pc, fight of hordes of demons fixing the heatsink. Still only play KSP which runs on your 200 quid netbook.
:likesitall:
Can it play Doom?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Just an FYI, thanks to a massive bout of confusion caused by terrible wording by the dev team regarding possible future expansions and a quite frankly, a massive sense of over entitlement by Reddit and parts of the KSP community, until the end of the month of April if you buy KSP you *will* get every possible update/expansion/dlc as part of your purchase.

Once April ends, you will be paying for the base game only (includes normal updates) but not any Expansions.

To be fair to Squad, they have stated they view "Expansions" as massive game changing content updates like adding Multiplayer or Colonisation. Your Opposing horse to HL1, ie 90's/early 2000's proper expansions if you will. They're also not confirmed in the slightest so it might never happen.

BUT, if you've ummed and ahh'd about it, now is the time to buy so that you'll get everything and still get it for the lower alpha price.