Mr Flibbles

Re: Day O' Sex: Human Revolution

Post by Mr. Johnson »

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The comic is a bit of a worry. I'm not far in (at the police station), but only spent points on conversation and hacking so far. Perhaps I should think about balancing with fight powers.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

The boss fight that one is talking about was the hardest one for me. The ones after that were pretty easy. That one though doesn't have enough cover to let you move around freely, and it's impossible to tell how much damage he's going to take before he goes down so you don't know how careful you have to be.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I have spent all my points in hacking, conversation and general stealth (although the actual stealth tree is poo). I haven't killed anyone, but have knocked out/sent to sleep a fuck ton of dudes. I am rich as Croesus after selling all the guns I've found/looted. Even though I have the passwords I have hacked into everything I've found. I have bought every single Praxis kit available and still have 40k in credits. I have practically every aug tree unlocked bar about 3 and I haven't even finished yet.

Non-lethal/sneaky is the king.

I may have fluked the Barret boss fight though. He lobbed a gas grenade at a pillar that bounced back into his face. He stood in the cloud of gas looking for me whilst I chucked two frag grenades at him. Fight over.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Roman Totale wrote:I have spent all my points in hacking, conversation and general stealth (although the actual stealth tree is poo). I haven't killed anyone, but have knocked out/sent to sleep a fuck ton of dudes. I am rich as Croesus after selling all the guns I've found/looted. Even though I have the passwords I have hacked into everything I've found. I have bought every single Praxis kit available and still have 40k in credits. I have practically every aug tree unlocked bar about 3 and I haven't even finished yet.

Non-lethal/sneaky is the king.

I may have fluked the Barret boss fight though. He lobbed a gas grenade at a pillar that bounced back into his face. He stood in the cloud of gas looking for me whilst I chucked two frag grenades at him. Fight over.
Apparently frag grenades or mines will stun them and make the boss fights easy mode. I beat him by tossing a couple EMP grenades at his feet and then tossing the explosive barrels at him and shooting his face with the combat rifle. The EMP grenades made him lose track of me so he was shooting and throwing grenades at random.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I zapped him with the stun gun then shot him in the face with the revolver until he came round, then repeated.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I threw EMP grenades at Barrett, then chucked a gas canister that was lying in the top right room at him. Think I may have shot him a couple of times, not much though. Granted, it was my third attempt, but once you figure out the pattern to his movement and shooting it's easy.

I've come to the conclusion that out of all the weapons I've played with so far, the Assault Rifle is the most pointless in this game. Not only is it hampered by the 50 rounds per stack limit, but the upgraded-with-armour-piercing 10mm pistol becomes more useful when armoured dudes appear, while still allowing you to do silent kills (for when you run out of tranq ammo). It does the same amount of damage per shot too if they're both maxxed on damage.

The stun gun is a close second for uselessness, as it seems to be a non stealthy yet still non lethal method of taking people down. Might as well tranq dart them in the head or get up close and press Q.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I tossed an EMP at Barret straight away, then alternated between throwing the gas cylinders and the exploding barrels at his feet. He never recovered long enough to shoot at me and I was only about half-way around the room looking for the next thing to throw when I got the death cut scene and hadn't fired a shot. This was on about my 20th go after tryng to shoot him from cover on all the other attempts.

I use the pistol mostly, but have run out of ammo a few times. The sniper rifle I use when they're out of range of the pistol and the assualt rifle when they're invisible and I can't tell where their head is - I use it more like a quick firing-pistol though, not spraying.

I never fired the machine pistol and I had a shotgun for a while but have ditched it now. I haven't found a crossbow, though since I've only found one set of bolts in my whole game, I wouldn't have used it much. When I got my hands on a revolver my pistol was already pretty powerful, so it was massively disappointing and I threw it away.

I carry the heavy machine gun supposedly for boss fights and bots where I have no EMP grenades - but it's next to useless really without buying the recoil skill, which I haven't. The laser gun you get quite late on is useful for when the stupid scenery doesn't let you get into cover in such a way that you can lean out and see a heasdshot as you can get kills just by shooting their feet.

Non-lethal wise, for the longest time I've only had 1 bar of energy, and didn't have the double-takedown skill so the stun gun has been pretty useful for me as I only get one press of Q. The tranq rifle is annoyingly fiddly in the way you have to use the scope, and more than a couple of enemies can revive each other before you take them all down. I understand fitting the crossbow with tranq darts might be a better option.

Since I've gone for avoid or slaughter, the "don't kill them" missions have required the most inventiveness on my part. Having to non-lethally take down a gang of five in an alley below with only four pieces of non-lethal ammo in total, I lobbed a gas grenade at one then jumped down with the Icarus landing system's stun effect. I zapped one, punched another and zapped the third before they recovered, leaving only one to take out at my leisure with the tranq rifle.

In short, I haven't bothered spending points just for the boss battles, but to have fun in the rest of the game where I spend most of the time. This has made the boss battles pretty frustrating, but there are methods for doing them without any specific augs. If you're bothered though, three points in the Typhoon system is like an I Win button.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

I absolutely blagged my way through the first boss battle. My pre-order bonus was the you're-DED remote explosives. Two of them on the ground stunned him, two shots to the head with the sniper rifle and he was done for. That said, I only just made it that time after dying 4 or 5 times previously. Boss battles are my only quibble so far, very minor when you look at the big picture.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Got properly stuck on the 2nd boss, ended up going back and hacking every. single. terminal. in the building to get enough xp to buy typhoon. killed the bitch.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've just come across the bonus mission, which involves Schevchenko (one of now-presumed-dead Sarif scientists who you meet in the first level) and Tong. Considering I didn't know it was a bonus level until the loading screen told me "Loading bonus level, thanks for preordering Deus Ex:HR", I'm actually a bit pissed off because it's again an example of content cut to make DLC.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Got properly stuck on the 2nd boss, ended up going back and hacking every. single. terminal. in the building to get enough xp to buy typhoon. killed the bitch.
Same here, though I luckily had a save with 2 unspent points near the start of the building, so I only had to replay the building the normal way to get the extra one. You're supposed to be able to shoot the terminals she draws power from, but I had no luck with that.

Worse though, I made the Wrong Decision in the next bit, making the 3rd boss incredibly hard, so I've only just now gotten past that after reloading a save I made on Thursday night and replaying at least three missions.

The Wrong Decision is to
Spoiler:
get the "upgrade" from the Limb clinic after you glitch out on reentering Hengsha

It feels incredibly cheap to kill bosses with a couple of button-presses, but after having experimented with augs that supposedly protect against the attacks they do and still getting insta-killed, those fuckers deserve it.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Whoops, I just looked at the spoiler thinking I'd already got the third boss - I haven't. I realise I too have made the Wrong Decision™

Also, how long is this game?! I mean that in a good way, I'm just pleasantly surprised it's not a typical 4 hour job that a lot of big name releases have been recently (I'm looking at you, MoH!)
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Im 30 hours in and no idea how longs left.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I dunno about you FJ, but I *know* Roman reads all the emails he can, the "wrong decision" was pretty obvious thanks to the information you can get from your trip to Tai Yong Medical. Couple that with the
Spoiler:
Illuminati
stuff and..... :)
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

That's the problem with reading all the emails, you forgot what was in most of them after a while.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Roman Totale wrote:Whoops, I just looked at the spoiler thinking I'd already got the third boss - I haven't. I realise I too have made the Wrong Decision™
Well that went better than expected
Spoiler:
Stayed in cover, chucked a couple of EMP mines, then unleashed with the heavy rifle. Still not got to use my Typhoon yet.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Bah, didn't get the Pacifist or Foxiest of the Hounds achievements - and I'm convinced I didn't set off any alarms or kill anyone.

Mind you thinking about it, I probably killed doods right at the start. Bugger.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Hah, pre-order grenade launcher is also a boss i-win weapon, providing you don't manage to off yourself with it of course.

Edit: Panchea. Oh Panchea. You've been lifted right out of System Shock II. And you're awesome for it.

Edit2: Done in 39 hours according to steam. Knock off a couple for afkness. Not bad at all. Terrible ending though.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

That was fun.