Day O' Sex: Human Revolution

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Day O' Sex: Human Revolution

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:Or people would learn not to be in a nice, neat row.
"Left a bit! right a bit! Say cheese!"
"Cheee*blam*ARGH!"
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

I presume Steam don't unlock this until 12.01am Friday?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Imperatore wrote:I presume Steam don't unlock this until 12.01am Friday?
According to the steam page, it's saying unlocked in 12 hours, so yes :)
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Well I'm not that excited as to stay up so late to have a blast. I'll save it for Friday eve post gym and all of Saturday :)
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

If you have fond memories about Deus Ex, you will love Human Revolution. Much of the original can be seen in Human Revolution's design.

I was told to stay out of the ladies' restroom and I played some incredibly poorly simulated basketball. I've hacked keypads and computers, infiltrated rooms using vents. I've stolen a candy/energy bar off a guys desk right in front of him and he didn't care.

It's pretty fucking awesome.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

When PCG gave it 94% and RPS have been raving about it, I pretty much knew it was going to be a proper successor to DX1 and try to encompass all that made it great because any reviewer would have/will be comparing them.

Just like DNF/Duke3D reviews did (shame DNF is actually worse gameplay wise than its predecessor).

Eitherway, Play.com dispatched it on the 23rd, so it'll either arrive in next hour (afternoon post) or it'll turn up tomorrow morning for me. My weekend is going to be Sci-fi flavoured.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll be leaving this downloading overnight I think. However, I still hope to be playing multiplayer stuff for as much of my weekend of freedom as I can. That and getting drunk, eating junk food, and sitting in my underwear.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Despite loving the original, for some reason I can't summon up the excitement for this. Maybe I have a deeply rooted cynicism born of many years of bitter disappointed that every new game will be shit, even if it turns out to be good. Or I'm just old.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've had to wrestle with it to get it working.

Despite having a machine that runs Crysis 2 in Dx10 and a good wack, DX:HR was bumming to desktop bitching about drivers, unsupported functions and resources.

After messing around hunting for fixes (the old Atisomethingorother.dll renaming didn't work), then messing around with the settings (resolutions, refresh rates, filtering etc..) turned out DX doesn't like FFAA on my Ati 4890. Solution: Turn off FSAA and just choose Edge AA.

Despite all that, I'm quite liking it. The cover system is different but effective, although the snap out of it is really really jarring.

It does however, feel Deus Exy. Inventories, pda's, emails, hacking etc... :D
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:It does however, feel Deus Exy. Inventories, pda's, emails, hacking etc... :D
Yeah it feels exactly like they wanted to make it really close to the original game, but they also wanted to sort of fix some of the gameplay elements. It just feels right.

Also, DOPEFISH LIVES!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

deject wrote:Also, DOPEFISH LIVES!
:lol:
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Did you lot notice what the first keycode you ever get was?

0451 :)

The art book also has a page dedicated to crates :lol:

I have to say, I'm quite liking it so far. Not fond of the cover system, but I can see what they were trying to do with it and it's not actually offensive in it's use like some games are, so it doesn't actually annoy me.

The inventory quick bar needs tweaking though, having to drag items onto it to remove them is annoying.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:I have to say, I'm quite liking it so far. Not fond of the cover system, but I can see what they were trying to do with it and it's not actually offensive in it's use like some games are, so it doesn't actually annoy me.

The inventory quick bar needs tweaking though, having to drag items onto it to remove them is annoying.
The cover system is OK, but it's not perfect.

The quick bar is the same as the original honestly, so I can see why they did that. It's all part of their effort to make it feel like Deus Ex was.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

deject wrote:the quick bar is the same as the original honestly, so I can see why they did that. It's all part of their effort to make it feel like Deus Ex was.
Nah, in the original you could click on it and drag stuff off it as well as dragging stuff on. Which is what I was saying was missing and is somewhat annoying from a usability point of view.

I'd imagine it's something they could probably add in easily, or a right click remove. Something to make removing stuff a bit easier.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:
deject wrote:the quick bar is the same as the original honestly, so I can see why they did that. It's all part of their effort to make it feel like Deus Ex was.
Nah, in the original you could click on it and drag stuff off it as well as dragging stuff on. Which is what I was saying was missing and is somewhat annoying from a usability point of view.

I'd imagine it's something they could probably add in easily, or a right click remove. Something to make removing stuff a bit easier.
Oh I see what you're saying yeah. I just move something I want to keep on my bar into its spot and then move it back to clear the spot.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

As with any title I've been anticipating, I'm scared to play it for too long. However what I've seen is lovely. The cinematic experience (ie. graphics and sound, scenery and props etc) is beautiful.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:I've had to wrestle with it to get it working.

Despite having a machine that runs Crysis 2 in Dx10 and a good wack, DX:HR was bumming to desktop bitching about drivers, unsupported functions and resources.

After messing around hunting for fixes (the old Atisomethingorother.dll renaming didn't work), then messing around with the settings (resolutions, refresh rates, filtering etc..) turned out DX doesn't like FFAA on my Ati 4890. Solution: Turn off FSAA and just choose Edge AA.
Odd, worked fine on my 4-and-a-half-year-old PC (albeit with a more youthful 3-yo GPU). Left it on the default setting which was all on high including FSAA.
buzzmong wrote:Despite all that, I'm quite liking it. The cover system is different but effective, although the snap out of it is really really jarring.
It has felt a lot like Mass Effect 2 at times and coming out of cover to find yourself crouched in the middle of a corridor can be a bit annoying. Doorways to corridors where an enemy is basically on the other side of the wall you're covering behind are a bit fiddly.

I'm getting used to it though and liking it quite a lot. Fell at the first hurdle as far as a sneaky/peaceful guy goes - watching my tranq darts spaz off in some random direction was nowhere near as much fun as popping out of cover and delivering a headshot with the pistol. I only seem to find the sneaky ways through when they lead back to where I've come from, or on the rare occasions I've managed to get around the enemies I end up blundering back into them where I started.

The AI seems rather good - avoiding many of the pitfalls seen in other games. When you snipe a guy in a room with his buddies it puts them all on alert, rather than them having to trip over his body before they notice, but they don't instantly know where you are - even continuing to shoot at where they last saw you if you sneak away a bit.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Yeah, I *really* like the fact the AI enemy can revive knocked out/tranq'd dudes. Makes everything much harder. I think they've done quite a good job. They seem to love making sure they're in cover as well.

If you're finding the tranq rifle hard, turns out it's got a Beef-esque scope system, hold down the mouse after you fire and you'll stay zoomed so you can see where the shot has gone. Possibly homes a little too.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:If you're finding the tranq rifle hard, turns out it's got a Beef-esque scope system, hold down the mouse after you fire and you'll stay zoomed so you can see where the shot has gone. Possibly homes a little too.
I didn't mean with the zoom - it's extremely accurate with that. I meant when you're holding down cover and a direction key to lean out of cover and firing from there. With the pistol it's easy to score a head shot like that, but the tranq gun seems to function as if you're just holding down cover on its own which results in you taking wild shots.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

buzzmong wrote:Did you lot notice what the first keycode you ever get was?

0451 :)

The art book also has a page dedicated to crates :lol:

I have to say, I'm quite liking it so far. Not fond of the cover system, but I can see what they were trying to do with it and it's not actually offensive in it's use like some games are, so it doesn't actually annoy me.

Yes, and my brain was telling me I know what this related too but I cannot remember.