Day O' Sex: Human Revolution

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Day O' Sex: Human Revolution

Post by buzzmong »

FatherJack wrote:I didn't mean with the zoom - it's extremely accurate with that. I meant when you're holding down cover and a direction key to lean out of cover and firing from there. With the pistol it's easy to score a head shot like that, but the tranq gun seems to function as if you're just holding down cover on its own which results in you taking wild shots.
Oh yeah, I noticed that. I presume it's to horse you into the open in order to use it properly considering you oddly can't use iron sights when leaning around corners/over stuff. No, turns out, with toggle mode, you can quite happily look down the scope! Yay!

It also means the cover system isn't the be all and end all of shooting mechanics.
Last edited by buzzmong on August 27th, 2011, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

FatherJack wrote:
buzzmong wrote:If you're finding the tranq rifle hard, turns out it's got a Beef-esque scope system, hold down the mouse after you fire and you'll stay zoomed so you can see where the shot has gone. Possibly homes a little too.
I didn't mean with the zoom - it's extremely accurate with that. I meant when you're holding down cover and a direction key to lean out of cover and firing from there. With the pistol it's easy to score a head shot like that, but the tranq gun seems to function as if you're just holding down cover on its own which results in you taking wild shots.
I think thats supposed to just represent a handgun being more accurate fired from the hip than a rifle, i instinctively look down the sights with the tranq rifle before shooting whether im in open terrain or behind cover though so i havnt seen how wild the spread is.

Oh and the controls became a lot more fluid when i turned the cover system to toggle rather than hold, holding and jumping between 3 buttons and pressing a 4th at the same time felt wrong.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

One thing I did notice as odd is that you're lacking the ability to pickup ammo with your hands when you've got no more room or are full up. Shame really as it means I can't build up small stashes in missions like I do in other games.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Got the basketball achievement, rah! Took less than 10 tries :ninja:
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

The cover system is pretty shit, I preferred ME's unhide-and-shoot over the wildly-shoot-never-hit system DX has.

Deus Ex-wise, my verdict: The devs tried pretty hard and only failed moderately. All-in-all, I'm happy to consider it the second Deus Ex title.*

*I work with two rules: 1) Invisible War is not a Deus Ex title. 2) If anyone else claims otherwise, see rule 1.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

After some more playing, and turning the cover system to toggle mode (thanks s2b!), it's actually alright. Sure, you can't hit shit unless you press forward and stick your head out, but I've since found out you can then aim down the sights as well.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Roman Totale wrote:Got the basketball achievement, rah! Took less than 10 tries :ninja:
Hah! I did it first time. But then this is Deus Ex, not Basketball Master 2011...

There's always another way.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Haha, barrels as well. They were just too convenient weren't they?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Any problem can be solved with enough barrels.

I can't remember what my mission was.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

:lol:
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Turns out the pre-order silenced sniper rifle, which I've been carrying around since it was dumped in my inventory on the first mission, is actually pretty goddamn poor. For some reason it seems adverse to getting headshots.

Ah well.

Edit: Further testing shows the scope is out of alignment by quite a bit. How odd.
Even further testing shows if you scope when you're in cover, your shots will be pin point accurate.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I beat it finally, it was amazing. The story stuff is a bit obvious, but it still worked for me.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

I think I'm close to completing it now and, although it's definitely my favourite game in a fair while and I love almost everything about it, I can safely say that not one boss battle in this fucking game is fun. christ.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I got the basketball achievement the traditional way pretty easily. I don't think it's as hard as made out. I also bounced the ball off the nearby dealers' heads a few times, but they didn't seem to notice.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dog Pants wrote:I got the basketball achievement the traditional way pretty easily. I don't think it's as hard as made out. I also bounced the ball off the nearby dealers' heads a few times, but they didn't seem to notice.
I had the super strong lift/throw aug already so it was near impossible to do the proper way for me. No matter how far back I was there was no good way to get an arc that was anywhere close. I got quite close a few times by bouncing the ball off the building opposite the hoop though.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Shada wrote:I think I'm close to completing it now and, although it's definitely my favourite game in a fair while and I love almost everything about it, I can safely say that not one boss battle in this fucking game is fun. christ.
The boss battles are quite ruining the game for me because the open-endedness just goes out of the window and the skills I've chosen to enjoy the game my way don't help me very much in a one on one battle.

There's a lot to like about the rest of the game, there have been some pleasingly tough areas that I've had to get creative to get through as I've built my character around exploration (hacking and stealth) with no armour, health or weapon power upgrades. To be forced into the boss fights, where only a couple of strategies are effective just seems so at odds with the rest of the game.

I'm left with the option to keep slogging away until I luck out and win, or replay vast swathes of the game in order to buy appropriate skills or stockpile items in order to get past them. Neither are very satisfying options and all but extinguish my desire to ever replay the game.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

The problem with the boss battles, aside from the jarring sudden linearity of them, is that they're incredibly difficult unless you know how to completely cheese a victory, then they become so ludicrously easy they might as well not be there.

For instance (spoilers for all boss fights follow).
Spoiler:
The first guy was impossible until I figured I could just hide behind a pillar and throw all my grenades at him - which isnt really cheesing so much, but the other three are the worst. You can beat queen dual machineguns by fucking up her animations so she freezes and then you just shoot her head repeatedly. You can beat the guy who sneaks and jumps around walls by using the see-through-walls-aug and tracking him with the laser rifle through all the walls. Here's the best one though: you can kill the end boss by just firing a laser at her, completely bypassing all the electric floor and security bots bullshit. Or you can just shoot everything you have at her glass barrier while hiding in a corner where no enemies can track you and the floor doesnt get electrified.
It just makes me wonder why they bothered with boss battles in the first place.

Aside from that my only problem with the game was the ending:
Spoiler:
push button to view the cutscene you want
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Yeah, the boss fights are really sudden as well, no real context.

Barrett came out of the fucking blue, the second wasn't far off.

Doesn't help that they're just non characters. Even though there were boss fights in Deus Ex 1, they were big main characters like Anna, Gunther, Simons et al, and there was a proper plot led build up to the confrontation...HR doesn't have that at all.

Oh, and here's a spoiler that'll make boss fights done with two presses of the same button:
Spoiler:
Typhoon. 2nd upgrade. Two shots. One after the other. Bosses will be stunned by the first, die on the second.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

I just realised I can't really play any other game the same way after getting into deus ex again, now. I just thought about playing New Vegas and was sad that there's only one non-lethal way to take down people and it's rare to find the ammo for it. Seriously, why do I have to murder everyone in every game but Deus Ex?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Shada wrote:I just realised I can't really play any other game the same way after getting into deus ex again, now. I just thought about playing New Vegas and was sad that there's only one non-lethal way to take down people and it's rare to find the ammo for it. Seriously, why do I have to murder everyone in every game but Deus Ex?
In New Vegas they generally deserve it though. In Deus Ex: Human Resources Director, there is a large population of people there is zero reason to kill.