Previously, on Ghost Cartels...

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Frank wrote:It IS a biggie Chopper. You are responsible for the brutal murder of twenty nine people, well we know it's more than that but that's the number of poor fucks this demon has used you to slice and dice.

It doesn't matter that you weren't aware you've placed yourself and everyone who works with you in a big heap of shit.

Of course I'm gonna help you out of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if others felt like taking a long vacation to somewhere far away.
Frank grabs a buzz lite from the fridge and a huge assault cannon from a locker.
Frank wrote:Handily it gives me a reason to use this. It arrived whilst we were squashing bugs.
It's an ares vigorous p30 arsenal.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Chopper wrote:Woah, woah! Killed 29 people? I just thought he'd been sleeping around! Fuck.

No one we know is it? Has he been bar brawling whilst I'm asleep?

Appreciate the help, but the only person with any right to take a vacation is N-zo - the rest of us were all there with the ghouls and then with Doctor Demon in the Barrens. Could've happened to any of us. As it happens he just picked the best specimen available.

So, plans anyone? Leland, you know much about this sort of stuff? Other than "don't give blood to creepy mage doctor types"?
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

N-zo wrote:I'll do you a search on the good Doc's name, see where it ends up.

As for a vacation, I may do when the trails cleaned a bit and there's less reason for anyone to look for me.
okay, data search time, adding an edge die in this time

Computer (4) + Data search prog (6) + Logic Bonus (5) + Edge (1) = 16 dice

5, 3, 1, 3, 6, 5, 1, 6, 6, 6, 6, 4, 5, 2, 5, 4, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3: 11 hits.

Gimmie!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Well, let me get in touch with my friend, and see what we can do. I don't know much at all about spirits, but I'm sure he knows what we need to do. Let me make some calls.
I'll get Benedict on the line and explain the situation.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

ooops! Ive done a Pete, and not noticed that this had been updated. Right:
The Shutting Downs wrote: okay, data search time, adding an edge die in this time
11 hits.
Blimeh! Well, a search on Dr Sanders' ID shows nothing, all activity just stops dead the day he ran. There were no transactions on his accounts either, he has left what little money he had with his old SIN. However, widening your search a little shows a number large transfers to certified credsticks recently. Widening a little more shows a Professor Alistair Walker arranging for a house moving service and transport out of the country on the day Sanders disappeared. Walker also has nuyen coming into his account in amounts and on dates that match up with the certified credstick withdrawls. Walkers ID is registered as awakened, and has a number of apparently valid licences for various magical items. Both the container carrying his belongings and the flight tickets go to Hong Kong, at which point he goes off the grid entirely.
deject wrote:I'll get Benedict on the line and explain the situation.
Benedict confirms what some of you have figured out already: It looks like Dr Sanders used Choppers blood sample as a link to Chopper. Normally, you can only cast spells and so forth on someone you have line of sight to, but you can use things like blood, hair, or even very personal items like a watch or childs toy as a focus of a spell instead, as part of what is called ritual spellcasting. Dr Sanders has gone one further than that, and used the blood sample in part of a summoning ritual.

Mages can enter "spirit pacts" with spirits in return for various things: access to spirits powers being the most common. In return the mage has to do something for the spirit, such as gift it Karma on a regular basis, or (as in this case) let the spirit take over the mages body at certain times. Although normally this is voluntary on both sides, it is occasionally forced on one or both parties. Benedict thinks that, in this case, Sanders has been a cheeky git, getting the payoff but pushing the cost on to Chopper.

Presuming all that is the case, Benedict says you have three options:

1) Banish the spirit. You dont know how strong the spirit is, so he cant say what your chances are, and the spirit would know as soon as you start. It wouldnt be able to do much whilst you are trying to banish it, but its a fair bet that if you fail it will be pissed.

2) Find its formula, or true name. Having that gives you a hell of an advantage, and would let you banish it pretty easy regardless of power levels. Best bet for that would be finding Sanders. If he doesnt know it, well, good luck with that.

3) Do as it asks. Spirits usually make a big deal out of..well, deals. If it has agreed on something with you, it is more likely to cut off its own arm than screw you. Unless you do first, obviously.

A few things he points out:

Sanders sounds like a practitioner of Black Magic. Those guys tend to be of the "power is everything" and "end justifies the means" types. That, coupled with the fact he used a blood sample in a summoning means there is a fair chance the guy is also into blood magic. Adding credence to this theory is the fact the spirit has gone on a murder spree; if he was using blood magic, he would have summoned a blood spirit. Be extra frosty.

Also, if Sanders was worried the spirit was going to use Chopper to get him, he could have dismissed it. If he was worried that Chopper himself was going to get him, he could have commanded the spirit to stop him. The fact that he chose option three, and ran the fuck away, suggests that he is not in control of the spirit. If he is a good enough mage to cure HMHVV with relative ease, and if he has been using blood magic to boost his power, if he then couldnt bind the spirit when it turned up...its a lot of ifs, but something to consider.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I'd say we should probably head to Hong Kong then, with Chopper locked up in the cargo hold. Either that or only a few of us go while the rest stay here and see what can be done from here.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I liked the plan up until 'cargo hold'. Let Leland have a shot at banishing, I'm sure it'll be fine.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Roman Totale wrote:I liked the plan up until 'cargo hold'. Let Leland have a shot at banishing, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Never mind I have no banishing ability at all lmao.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Banishing it wouldn't be easy or cheap given how long it's been around and the fact that it's damned hard. How much money has Chopper got in the bank?

It's probably a good idea for us all to bugger off out of Seattle for a bit anyway and as we know where this guy has gone, we might as well make the trip.

Joose - what's the outlook on Franks guns, they're all licensed to multiple sins including his real one (but I'd rather not use that right now) If they're not a travel item then I'll talk to my gun runner contact and my arms dealer boss about getting sources organized.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hong Kong? Well I'm always up for broadening my horizons. I've thought of a possible fourth option - convincing this spirit that Col Sanders has fucked it over and that it might want to go eat him. After all, I'd be pissed if I ended up with Chopper as my end of the deal.