3+ players on Halo LAN

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aerris
Mouse
Mouse

3+ players on Halo LAN

Post by aerris »

Hello,
Has anyone had any experiance of the following:

We have a LAN at home running through a Belkin broadband router with a 1.5Mb NTL fatpipe connecting us to the net.

Two of us have Halo, and we happily connect to internet multiplayer games (one of us going in and the other connecting by Direct IP) without any problem.

Last night, our other housemate came home with a copy of halo, so we all tried to get onto the same server and kill each other. Howerver, it only seems to let 2 of us on the home network connect to the game. The last person to try and connect to the HALO server cannot. It just says "unable to join"

If one of us comes out, then they can connect no probs. Also, we can all connect to different games at the same time, but not the same game.

Is this a restriction by the Server administrator? to prevent 3 or more people on the same network from joining the game?
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head, with their being a limit to how many games can run off of one network.

If you think about it, how many people are likely to have 3 pc's in their home, all wanting to play the same game.

If everyone connects through the same ip to a game server, the ping is likely to become really high, and cause a slowdown.

I may be talking out of my ass, as I have never tried this, but it sort of makes sense in my head. :lol:

If you like Halo that much, you can be forum admin for it if you like?
aerris
Mouse
Mouse

Post by aerris »

oooh yeah.
hook me up with admin!

Hmm - we are trying to get round it by puttying into a remote linux box and bouncing the connection off that. So it appears (to the halo server) that one of us is coming from a different IP. hasn't worked yet tho :x

Will let you know if we find a way round it.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Check out this reply on b3ta chat http://www.b3ta.com/talk/82170
Sounds like it's gonna depend on your ISP.

I'll set you up as Halo moderator now 8)