SR: SIN numbers and ID's

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

SR: SIN numbers and ID's

Post by Joose »

There often seems to be a bit of confusion as to what a SIN number actually is, and how it works, especially when it comes to fakes, so I thought I would put a brief little guide together.

People often think that a SIN is like a passport, drivers license and generic ID all rolled up into one. That's not quite right. SIN numbers do the same job as all those things, but they do them in a very different way.

For starters, a SIN number is just that: a number. Its not a physical thing, its not even a file on your comlink as such. Its just a reference number. You could fake a SIN number good enough to fool the human eye by simply writing down a long number with a pen. There is no actual information directly stored in the SIN number itself, as such.

What happens when someone checks your ID is this:

1) You give them your SIN number
2) They use that number to check the records, either their own (in the case of big corporations) or the central SIN database.
3) The records will contain information that the person can then use to confirm your identity, from basic stuff like gender and race, to DNA records and other biometric data.

There is a couple of caveats to this. One, the SIN number is stored on your comlink using some sort of magical and utterly unexplained technology, and the specific mechanics of how the above process happens are never really detailed. It just works. Two, as far as I am aware its never really explained where the main SIN number register is, or who administers it. I think its a government thing, but it might be someone bigger like Zurich Orbital, or even the Corporate Court. Either way, its universal: every country in the world uses it, and it works pretty much the same wherever you are.

What is probably of more interest to you guys as Shadowrunners is how a fake SIN works. Like I said before, its a lot more complicated than real world ID's. Its not just a case of getting a photo, and faking up some realistic documentation, for example. To make a fake SIN, you need to make a fake entry into the SIN registry, and then couple it up with some fake but convincing data. This is why fake SINs have ratings; a rating 1 fake SIN is just an entry in the SIN registry with some basic data entered in there, whereas a rating 6 fake SIN would be a full registry entry, including biometric data that matches up with the person the SIN is made for, as well as a whole faked data trail and history, with things like faked shopping habits, fake addresses and fake job history. A basic check, like you might get if you were trying to buy beer and they wanted to check your age for example, would just look you up in the registry and check your age, so a rating 1 SIN would be fine. If, on the other hand, you had been arrested by the cops and were applying for bail, they would do a more in depth check, comparing DNA and looking into your history, so you would need a much better SIN to convince them you were someone else.

One of the other things this means to you guys is that you cant really just swap SINs around with each other. When a SIN is made, it is made for a specific person. You could *maybe* get away with it for a rating 1 SIN, but beyond that any check would instantly show that you were not the person that the SIN number belongs to.

I've been fairly loose with the way SINs work so far, as I didn't want to hit you with too many complications in one go, but I think you understand the world enough now to wrap your head around this :)

Any questions?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: SR: SIN numbers and ID's

Post by buzzmong »

Joose wrote:Any questions?
Do badgers make good pets?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

How do sinless people without access to any kind of fake operate on a daily basis when presented with the need to supply a SIN?

And can I take it with this announcement that you're also going to tighten up on trails we leave behind, disguises, reputation etc as we start to get a bit more used to the runs and the world?
The Shutting Downs
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by The Shutting Downs »

A SIN number is not a legal requirement, but you do need one if you want a bank account, to go to some up class areas, if you want a job, that sort of thing.

Without it, you have pretty much nothing, you live in very poor housing and you legally don't exist.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

For me the issue I have with SINs is that as soon as I do something naughty (ie at least once per run) I have to replace it. At several grand a pop I just can't afford that.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

HereComesPete wrote:How do sinless people without access to any kind of fake operate on a daily basis when presented with the need to supply a SIN?
The short answer is: They dont. Not very well, at any rate. People in Shadowrun can be broadly split into three catagories:

1) Regular people who have legal SINs
2) Shadowrunners, who avoid legal SINs like the plague, and have a pocket full of fakes instead
3) Homeless, squatters, and other people who are basically fucked from a society point of view.

Without a SIN, like TSD says, you also don't have a bank account, which leaves you pretty screwed as most transactions nowadays are done electronically.
And can I take it with this announcement that you're also going to tighten up on trails we leave behind, disguises, reputation etc as we start to get a bit more used to the runs and the world?
What makes you think I haven't done that already? :)
A SIN number is not a legal requirement
True, but on the other hand, not having a SIN is frowned upon by nearly every kind of authority figure. Because of that, if you are discovered to not have a SIN you will be assigned one. One that is flagged as Criminal. This is kinda the worst of both worlds: it can be used to track you *and* its hard to get a job or go anywhere nice.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

By the time I made Smith I think I understood SINs a bit better and made sure I had proper ones in place. Chopper on the other hand...
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:For me the issue I have with SINs is that as soon as I do something naughty (ie at least once per run) I have to replace it. At several grand a pop I just can't afford that.
You really don't, for a couple of reasons:

1) "Data Balkanisation" is your friend. Just because Aztechnology have sussed an ID doesn't mean that they have told anyone else, so you can still use it fairly safely against Renraku. Corps don't share that kind of info without good reason, not even with the cops.

2) Cost/Benefit analysis is also your friend. If the cops/corp security rolled out every tool in their arsenal for everything, shadowrunners would be fucked. What with security cameras everywhere, DNA scanning, magical forensics, satellite imaging and RFID tag dust, you wouldn't be able to get away with anything. But all that costs money, so they only use what they can justify in their budget. If you have only done something mildly naughty, you only have to make it slightly difficult for them to find you before its not worth them bothering. This goes for the cops too: A low impact crime thats difficult to solve will be buried, a high profile crime thats easy to solve and makes LoneStar look like heroes will have half the horse on your ass.

That second one is a good reason to use non-leathal horse wherever possible. Its one thing to write off a minor break in where two security guards got tazed, but a break in where Dave the highly popular gate guard got beheaded makes things personal. The security team might even track you down in their own time if you kill enough of their mates.

In short, you don't have to ditch your fake SIN every time you use one. If you are not sure, you can always have yourself checked out in downtime, see how much bad press you are getting.