The Trip

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

The Trip

Post by Thompy »

So did anyone else see this earlier in the week?

I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure why. Maybe you just have to like Rob and/or Steve. Fortunately I do.

It's subtle. I never laughed out loud, but I always had a smile on my face. If you're familiar with the duo, you may appreciate the slightly characterised form of themselves, but with that nod that they are actually like this towards each other in real life.

The tempo and feel of the first episode really fit the setting. It was bleak, serene, and a bit melancholic. To me it had a feel of Garden State and The Station Agent - a simple yet poignant view on life.

Looking forward to the second.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Bollocks, I forgot this was on - was really looking forward to it as well. I shall track it down this eve.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Stephen Hawking bit in the second episode really made me laugh.

I've ended up re-watching the middle sections of the first two programmes for the impressions. Some of them are very clever.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I watched a bit of yesterday's episode, seemed pretty funny so I'm gonna watch the rest on iplayer when I get a chance.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I think you can get some enjoyment from the food as well. I'd like to try that taster menu at the restaurant in the second episode, they seem to be real places and presumably real menus. Although there is the cost, which could end up making you feel like man in this video:

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15456096[/media]
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Episode two was a step up. Very funny. Although it does now seem it will remain a vehicle for impressions, which is good and bad. Good if you like impressions - they did some I haven't heard before - very impressive. Bad in that there isn't a whole lot of story or other topical discussion. There was however the same humour in their jibes at each other.

The food, I thought, took a back seat this episode. It works as only the background setting, of course, but a few more remarks to make it relevant enough would be nice. If you're actually looking at the food and thinking "Yeah I'd like to go there" then it's fine. If you're just watching for the comedy then it's fine. But if you're interested in what they're eating in the same way as you would be while watching a culinary program it doesn't deliver (doesn't need and probably isn't meant to though).

I'll leave it hanging on an 8/10.