D&D Adventure #2: Green Shell Suit

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

D&D Adventure #2: Green Shell Suit

Post by Grimmie »

It has been three days since the exciting events of the spider-infested chapel near Wildemill. Billet Anson and Bartholomew have already set off with a group of craftsmen to undo the damage to the stonework and roof, and a couple of priests to clean the bad air of Pholtus out from the place (and probably do a little dusting and blessing, too).

Pants, During your rounds around Orhedge Forenrond gets to hear the word on the street.

The local dairy farmers complain that the caravan that usually comes to buy the spare milk they have each week hasn't visited in a fortnight now, and they're having to leave countless churns outside, which are quick becoming steaming columns of stinky cheese.

The town guard comment on the increasing numbers of Goblins crowding around the gate after dark. It's not so unusual to see one or two passing by in the evening, and they're usually driven away with a shake of a longsword, but recently they've been growing more cocky and every now and then sling stones at the men on watch.

Lastly, you manage to strike up conversation a local woodsman with a long, drawn face nursing a foaming tankard of ale. Turns out that somebody has been chopping his trees down in the woods you travelled through the other day, blocking paths. Some of the older trees have been reduced to firewood with the haphazard foresting.

Sitting behind the woodsman is a half-elf at a table. He's draped in a colourful robe, reading a well worn leather-bound book whilst supping at a cup of mead. He looks classy, you can tell by the monocle he keeps adjusting on his eye. He seems to have overheard your conversation and looks up with a quizzical raise of an eyebrow – monocle popping loose.

<b>Edit:</b> Today's Adventure name bought to you by <a href="http://open.spotify.com/track/6x7BOUUNg ... aN">Hybrid - Green Shell Suit</a>
Last edited by Grimmie on October 25th, 2010, 8:11, edited 2 times in total.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Currently the game will just involve Dog Pants and Baliame, until the rest of the players are introduced. Hold tight boys and girls!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hmm, goblins in the forest. A bit out of my area of comfort, I'm more of an urban chap, but nobody else seems to be seeing the trend here. Oh, the shackles of being of Good alignment. For now I'll investigate the bloke in the dress. Looks like a wiggly-fingers, and we needed one of those.
Shankley wrote:Mind if I sit down? I thought I was the only person in this town with heritage, interesting to find another.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Thoroar wrote:Go ahead. It's not as uncommon where I come from, but admittedly, the whole town is a bunch of weirdos.

I'm sorry, but I caught a piece of a conversation you had there. Is there trouble in the making in the east?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shankley wrote:Seems like there might be. The goblins around here are usually pretty quiet, but they've been getting agitated recently. Reports of roads blocked, missing caravans, and felled trees make me think they're building up to something. Not that it's necessarily my problem, or yours for that matter, but look around you - there's not really anyone equipped to deal with them. Actually, it might be your problem if you're traveling in this area, so it's fair to warn you. I'm considering having a scout around to see if I can find out what they're up to. Keep that quiet though, you'll spoil my reputation.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Thoroar wrote:I was headed east as there's not much this place can offer me right now. I'm not concerned about whether or not the town can handle the goblins, or whatever there might be behind it, but there may as well be a bit of coin in it if we look into it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shankley wrote:We, huh? Well I have to admit some support would be useful, and finding loot is my forte. I'm thinking you either know some magic or you're a very brave scholar.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Thoroar wrote:Very observant, I do know a few tricks. It was meant to be a proposition indeed, you might agree that it's a bit more fair than overhearing an opportunity of higher reward than risk and seizing it for youself.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shankley wrote:Well, we'll have to see about the risk. I'm Shankley. What say we check out the woods and see if it is the goblins' work?
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Thoroar wrote:Name's Thoroar. Don't try to pronounce it. Very well, let's go.
I down my mead, return the horrible literature to the bookshelf and pocket the monocle.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Either of you have any business before you leave town, or are you ready for the road?
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

No business here.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It's surprisingly liberating having a working weight limit, because I find myself not wanting to horde gear. The only thing I want to buy is a silk rope to replace my hemp one (because it's lighter), but I'm not expecting to find one to buy in this village.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

I still need to spec Orhedge out so you have an idea of what it's like. Rest assured there's probably a shop for most things, and that silk rope might be available at a mark-up due to passing trade caravans. But seeing as you're both pretty much ready, I'll kick things off.

As always, you pass through the town gate and the guards let you through. It's already afternoon by the time you've finished your snooping around town and set off towards the forest.

About an hour into your walk you come across one of many road-side shrines of Fharlanghn, the god of roads. Normally they're nothing to shout about, just a little column of stone with a inset wooden symbol, sometimes a trough for water to collect in for thirsty travellers. However, sitting propped up against the side more in the shade is a very beat-up looking Gnome.

His clothes are torn around the leg, and his right knee and both hands are glossy red, there are a few scratches on his face to boot.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll approach cautiously, keeping an eye out for ambushes...

Search;
Roll(1d20)+3:
15,+3
Total:18
Shankley wrote:Erm, hello? You okay?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Spot for noticing things (hiding creatures, disguises, lip reading) , search for looking for things (traps, hidden doors, treasure).
Never the less, even with your spot modifier you see nothing out of the ordinary.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:x
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

beat up Gnome wrote:Ooh, oh ow! Hello? Is someone there? I am quite badly injured. I was attacked by a party of ten Orcs. Although I managed to slay them all, one of them caught me with his sword. A lucky blow.

Who are you, kind sir? Can you help?

Should I walk towards the light?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shankley casts a glance at Thoroar with a raised eyebrow.
Shankley wrote:Orcs? Seem to be getting more common around here. You must be a fierce warrior to kill ten orcs on your own.
I'll try to assess his injuries.

Heal:
Roll(1d20)+2:
14,+2
Total:16

I've not even put points into the skill but I feel like the party healer.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

His knee looks like it's in a bad shape.

You figure that a bandage is the best you can do with the supplies you have, and wrap his leg up night and tight.