D&D Adventure #2: Green Shell Suit

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

FatherJack wrote:Just my question about whether there's anything I can buy to improve my eyesight. A ring/potion of nightvision or something.
I have a Craft Alchemy skill, so I could potentially make you some Sunrods (clearly illuminates 30 foot for 6 hours) once I get round to reading that bit properly. I think I need some Artisan's tools first, but even the 'Masterwork' ones are only55g - easily affordable after our last jaunt.

I'll read up and see if I can get some for you.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh yeah, crafting. This is new to me (not in previous versions I've played) and I like it. I'll be getting leatherworking I expect once I have some skill points to spend. So in preperation I'll hang around the tannery and watch what the tanner does.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Upon further inspection, as roman mentioned, sunrods might be a good choice. They're like magic torches.

I just did a bit of reading, and you can get 'oils', which are effectively potions that can be applied to objects instead of people.
For instance, an "Oil of Light" will illuminate an object for 10 minutes as the Light spell would, it costs 25gp.

Making potions or oils of your own requires the Brew Potion feat.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I'm okay using torches where I have to, as opposed to something magical which I still have to hold in my hand, I was hoping for something (semi)permanent that would allow me to use both hands for fighting. As it is, I guess I'll just grab another two heal potions for now, either using torches or relying on other party members to cast Light on something. I won't be doing two-handed fighting until I hit L2 in any case.

How many trail rations have we (I) consumed thus far? I'll replenish those if need be. My healing kit still has nine uses, I've only used three of my sixty arrows and still have four torches.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

You could always splash a flask of Light Oil over your armour and run around as a human torch for ten minutes, if that's what suits your fighting style.

You've probably used one trail ration, if you're eating meagrely.
There are approximate prices in the Players Guide to meals, use your own discretion.
I wont horse you to eat your allotted food, but if you go for days in-game without spending a little bit of silver for sustenance then I might prod you.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

To be honest, neither are what I really want to be thinking about. By all means summarily deduct, or note to me/us whatever monies are required to keep from starving. I'll grab some more trail rations when I update my sheet.

Same sort of thing with the light, I just found it a bit clumsy to have to keep checking what I could see in the early stages and had to adjust my actions accordingly. More realistic that way of course, but I found it liberating in the latter stages to not have to worry about it so much owing to the light from the fire and Orovan's Light spell and could concentrate on the battle.

Roleplay-wise, Thor is rather upset that he seemed like a skulking coward (his words) and allowed Shankley to charge in without backup and nearly get killed. He is embarrased to mention it and merely hopes that his actions in healing him help to mitigate any ill-feeling. You can probably infer that he is not someone who wants to talk about it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

If you're hanging round the bars or on the horse-trip you'll see no ill-feeling.

The light scenario is unusual because we only have one human. Normally they're the majority and low light vision is a mere bonus to the non-humans. Also, most parties have several fighters. We're just weird like that.

Lastly, FJ's musings on upkeep and admin costs is spot on. In SLA I charge people at the end of the month for costs of living to make the bookkeeping simple and keep the cash flowing (rather than being saved up for big guns, this is the World of Progress). Costs of living is equally valid in other games, including this one, but putting the emphasis on the players to remember to do things that would be second nature to their characters is gruelling. As an example, I once heard of a GM who penalised players because nobody had declared they'd gone for a shit in days, so they were all constipated.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Alrighty, I'll come up with a 'system'.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Oh, I should also ask, does everyone want to be in the next adventure, or does anyone want to pause?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:wave:

Can has another one please?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

im up for going again if it doesnt interfere with what you have planned for beardbash as i wont be able to attend
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Yes.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Grimmie wrote:Oh, I should also ask, does everyone want to be in the next adventure
Holler!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

:wave: Certainly up for another go.

Thor won't be on the horse trip as he doesn't fancy having to run back while you all speed away on your mounts, but he'll be waiting at the gates to "appreciate" your animals as you come back.

Worth looking into sunrods for the future, ie: when I'm L2 and will want to fight with both hands. Perhaps some sort of modification to my armor where I could perhaps have a strap worn like a bracer which could hold them. The desciption only seems to state that it's the gold tip of a foot-long iron rod that emits the light - it'd be up to Grimmie to decide if its hot and if I could strap it to myself. As I say, for the future, have to concentrate on not dying before then.
Last edited by FatherJack on January 8th, 2011, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

FatherJack wrote:but he'll be waiting at the gates to "appreciate" your animals as you come back.
Glibberig to his dog wrote:Sweetlips, stay away from the strange man - he doesn't really have any puppies to show you.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Shankley rides like a pro, but seems at odds with his brown and black striped horse.
Shankley wrote:Woah, Humbug! Okay, eat that grass.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Thoroar is holding on tight even at slow speeds.
Thoroar wrote:Does this thing have a make it less scary option?
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Wiki has been updated with the Local Map.
http://www.5punk.co.uk/wiki/index.php?t ... _Locations

If you've not sent me your updated sheet, please do!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Sent, not a lot changed
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I have bought some Masterwork Artisan Tools (55g), and I'll try and make a couple of Sunrods for FJ.

Firstly I get the item cost in silver (20 x 2)
DC is 25 (page 71)
Pay one third of the items price for raw materials (6 silver 7 copper x2)
Make a Craft check:

1d20 +4, +2
17+6 = 23

So, roll failed, but because it failed by less than 4 I think I get to retain the raw materials (I think).

Hmm, you may have to wait a while for those Sunrods (that said they are pretty cheap). On the plus side, Acid and Alchemist's Fire seems pretty easy to make!