Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

News Reader
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

Wot I Think - Fallout: New Vegas

Post by News Reader »

Image Wot I Think - Fallout: New Vegas
Obsidian's pseudo-sequel to Bethesda's Fallout 3 hits the UK tomorrow, arriving amid a raft of positive reviews. But I see you there, perched atop that blasted rock, canteen in hand, waiting for the official RPS review. That wait is over. Here's Wot I Think of New Vegas. There's a distant sound that can be heard [...]

Author: Quintin Smith
Category: RockPaperShotgun Fallout: New Vegas feature Obsidian obsidian entertainment wot i think
Publish Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:36:44 +0000

Obsidian's pseudo-sequel to Bethesda's Fallout 3 hits the UK tomorrow, arriving amid a raft of positive reviews. But I see you there, perched atop that blasted rock, canteen in hand, waiting for the official RPS review. That wait is over. Here's Wot I Think of New Vegas.

There's a distant sound that can be heard throughout your time with New Vegas. Quieter than the cheery 1930s pop hits that warble from your radio, quieter even than the chirps of night-time insects, or the long gasps of wind blowing across the wasteland. It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I'm talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-fuck.

(more...)

Image Image
Read more... - Read comments...

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Crikey, this one split the replies down the middle. Anyone got it yet? And if so is it shit or is it rather good?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

HereComesPete wrote:Crikey, this one split the replies down the middle. Anyone got it yet? And if so is it shit or is it rather good?
Good: It's got the feel of Fallout 3, the way that the environment looks and feels. VATS is still awesome. You can pick uniforms off dead enemies for use as a disguise to further help kill enemies. Weapon mods, different kinds of ammo, etc.

Bad: It's buggy as shit. The performance on my PC is ludicrous. At times it will run fine, giving around 60-70fps (I have no FPS counter currently, so that's a guess), but it will randomly drop to 10-15fps for no reason, and in a big fight (6 enemies, 5-7 friendlies) it drops to like 3-4 fps. My computer is no slouch, with an Athlon II x4 2.8GHz, GTX460 1GB, 4GB of RAM, and I can run much better looking and demanding games at similar settings without any slowdowns.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The article does mention a rather serious problem for 64bit pc's where having too many people around you will make the framerate shit.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I've played a couple of hours and I'm enjoying it so far. More of the same as far as I can tell, which is good enough for me. And I've seen no bugs, apart from rad roaches and mantis things.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Doesn't Fallout 3 have a bit of love and hate? Personally I could never get into VATS, or just the general UI and management systems. I've started 5 times and not got far past Megaton. As New Vegas has essentially the same wrapper, does it not still give that love and hate?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I found it to be similar to Oblivion in that I had so much freedom I always had the niggling feeling I was missing something, that whatever I did I was doing it wrong. Oblivion seemed to have a love/hate thing going on too.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

In both, I played them focussing on the main quest the first time, then went back many, many times and did stuff differently.

Fallout 3 I must have have a dozen characters spread across the PC and PS3, goody-goody, sneaky, sniper, evil, melee, carefully neutral, lockpicker, hacker, energy weaponeer, smooth talker, engineer and interior designer.

Oblivion I only really had an everything character, maxxed out with the guilds, powerful spells and a mighty sword I'd pimped out with triple elemental damage myself. I think I had a Kitty and a Lizard.

I too felt in both I was doing it wrong a lot of the time, until I just thought I'll play it how I play it, then I'll play it again differently. One day, maybe I'll have found all the content.

I still have things I want to try in both. Both also were buggy as crap when I first played them and it's only now that I can play them mostly uninterrupted by crashes. For this reason, I'm waiting before buying this new release.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I found one of those FPS blackhole areas. Inside the main building in the second town, with all the people inside, it crawls along. Dropping the quality from high to medium doesn't help with the FPS drop. And sometimes it minimises, which is better than a full CTD at least.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:And sometimes it minimises, which is better than a full CTD at least.
I've had it randomly minimise, but I've had that in other games too. Its always been me accidentally clicking on a pop-up from something, like my anti-virus telling me its updated.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

WereRabbit wrote:Doesn't Fallout 3 have a bit of love and hate? Personally I could never get into VATS, or just the general UI and management systems. I've started 5 times and not got far past Megaton. As New Vegas has essentially the same wrapper, does it not still give that love and hate?
what

If you haven't ever gotten past Megaton, then you've missed like 90% of the game. It's simply amazing man, you should really give it a better shot.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I agree with Deject, Megaton is the first settlement, if you've not done anything more than that you've missed essentially the entire game.

I wouldn't say the game is simply amazing though. It is however rather fun and interesting, even if it's also quite flawed in my eyes.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Yeah, I'm not one to bash on a game after playing 30 mins like some do. I'm simply saying I lost the will to play due to how much the UI, VATS and management systems grated on me. I'm sure perseverance is the key, I just don't have much for any game atm (I think WoW warped me over the past 5 years).

I also had the problem DP mentioned, always feeling I'm doing things wrong. I'm more used to linear RPG stories with side quests (JRPGs), rather than total freedom to pick and choose, and as I'm a compulsive perfectionist (is that a thing?) this makes it hard for me to progress. But yes, I still fully intend to keep giving it a go till I complete it at least once.

Anyway, enough life story, point was, I'm sure I've read quite a few similar thoughts on the webs which made me think of the love and hate thing - to maybe answer Pete's question.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:I agree with Deject, Megaton is the first settlement, if you've not done anything more than that you've missed essentially the entire game.

I wouldn't say the game is simply amazing though. It is however rather fun and interesting, even if it's also quite flawed in my eyes.
Well yeah it has flaws, which are well documented but I think they are all just tiny, minor quibbles with an environment that is incredibly well designed and packed with an enormous amount of content.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I think fallout 3 is a love it or utterly indifferent to it game.

I tried it a good few times, but I just couldn't get into it.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I love it because I love exploring the detailed environments and searching every corner and container for things of value. It takes me a long time to progress because of this, I get my monies worth.

New Vegas seems to have more silly humour than FO3, which is good.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Weirdly, I seem to tall into the <i>like</i> it crowd.
While I enjoyed it, and played it a couple of times, it didn't really appeal to me as a game world, and ultimately I wasn't really attached to many of the characters in the game, so when they died it didn't really affect me.

Oblivion on the other hand.. Oh yes.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

After 4 or 5 hours playing it pretty much non stop I can safely say this is what FO3 should've been from the start. Hell yes.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

WereRabbit wrote:as I'm a compulsive perfectionist (is that a thing?) this makes it hard for me to progress.
As a former Pokémon master with a streak of OCD I can identify with this. There are ways you can play Fallout 3 like this. Do all of Moira's quests. Do the nuka cola challenge. Get all the bobbleheads. Find a map online and discover every location in the wasteland. Even with just the first three, you can max out a couple of skills and see a big chunk of the world, without even touching the main quest. It's not doing it wrong, it's playing it your way. You have a character so experienced with life in the wastelands you laugh at vampires and super mutants.

The UI is a bit pants, but you don't have to use it all that much. You don't have to use VATS either, particularly if you make a melee-based character.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I think fallout 3 is a love it or utterly indifferent to it game.

I tried it a good few times, but I just couldn't get into it.
:above: I could see it was a good game, but something about it never quite grabbed my attention and held it long enough to keep my going.