Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

:likesitall: mmm, VPN.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Sadly I bought the disc version, and you can bet on it that it will not get here till next week Monday.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I've played about an hour's worth of the single player now. My first impression is that aside from the sometimes janky scripting (doors dropping and then the guy kicks in where the door used to be, invincible enemies, etc.) it's kinda fun. The set pieces are pretty cool, the shooting is good. So far, not really worth $60, but it's alright.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Apparently the whole game is heavily scripted and be warned; there are infinitely respawning enemies in at least one section.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

PCG gave it 75%
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

deject wrote:I've played about an hour's worth of the single player now. My first impression is that aside from the sometimes janky scripting (doors dropping and then the guy kicks in where the door used to be, invincible enemies, etc.) it's kinda fun. The set pieces are pretty cool, the shooting is good. So far, not really worth $60, but it's alright.
I played about the same.

My impressions weren't so good, moderately fun, but so bland, the gameplay isn't great, a lot of the time you get camera control taken away to show you something, which is just annoying.

IMO it's a console port that's trying to be CoD, but without the pace, smooth gameplay or physics to back it up.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Sounds lie a fair assessment. I am more forgiving of stuff like that. Losing control of the camera and the invisible walls are annoying for sure.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Disappointing game was disappointing.

SP was too short and too easy even on hard.

Teammate AI was fucking shocking often letting the enemy stroll straight past to cut me in half from behind.

MP is unbalanced to fuck with people shotty sniping across maps on the 360

Where the fuck was the gunners body in the Apache missions? C'mon you spent all that time on the cockpit but couldn't be fucked to add a body into the seat?!!?

It seemed to switch from dog ugly (Bagram) to incredibly pretty (Snipers level)

At least the sounds were spot on, nice and meaty with the M60 being suitably meaty.

Editz. I thought MW2 was retarded and the SP was just OTT but I think I'd recommend that over MoH.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Agreed with pretty much all points raised. It's not as linear as previous MoH, but it's still heavily scripted and it can get very frustrating.

In addition to the irritating points raised above, I've also been benighted with glitches throughout (by the way, a glitch means that the scripting doesn't work properly so you can't progress, no matter how many times you shoot someone or how easy someone else was able to do that part). For instance:

Stealth mission at night to put IR beacons on trucks. Once done and you get back on the quads, you just sit there doing nothing. Restoring last checkpoint doesn't fix it so you have to restart the mission from scratch.

Suppressing the DSKH. The gunner becomes immortal and the rest of the squad won't move up.

Teleporting through doors and breaking cut scenes.

There are good bits - gunning in the heli and the sniper bits, but once done there is no variation. Any replay value is fucked because you get no choice in how to complete a mission. It's just scripted, scripted, scripted.

Multiplayer is fun, but equally limited. Maps are too small and sniping is too easy. Recoil is practically non-existent. The server browser is also disappointing. Yes it's functional, but it's just a bog standard one. Rather than take some of the good features from other games like auto-rejoin (they had it in BC2, why not this?), it just looks and feels like the browser that was used in CoD:UO.

So, so far it's good - but I don't think it has much longevity. I'm sure I'll be back to playing BC2 in a month or so.

Edit: it's insultingly short, too. How can they justify making the single player last less time than it takes for a cup of tea to go cold? And what the shit was that with the two blokes drinking tea at the end?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

In terms of single player it's nothing special, but neither was codern warfare or baconz. A few stand outs amongst a mostly scripted, invisible wall, cut scene heavy sub ten hour run and gun. The story is shoe horned in to significant glances and gruff voice acting, plus a good dude dies. Whatever.

Multiplayer - I'm likely to get bored of this in about the same time as baconz. This has far more map variation (despite not having too many maps) the different modes change the time of day and some of the layout so it mixes it up better.

But it has hardly any weapon choice and proudly offers you the use of the other sides guns as an unlock. I can pick the bloody things up off the floor thank you it's hardly something special.

If they can release actual new maps/upgrades then this should hang on better than baconz multiplayer.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

HereComesPete wrote: But it has hardly any weapon choice and proudly offers you the use of the other sides guns as an unlock. I can pick the bloody things up off the floor thank you it's hardly something special.

If they can release actual new maps/upgrades then this should hang on better than baconz multiplayer.
Yeah the unlocks once you get past level 9 are crap. Still, I don't want to use anything but my P90 with a combat scope. It's ridiculously good, it can do the up close rapid fire stuff and it can do long range burst fire to, if nothing else, suppress enemy snipers. Figuring out where they are can be difficult, but 4-5 round bursts are awesome. Plus it has a huge magazine too so taking out 4 people with one magazine is easily doable.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I'm amazed at the number of hackers and the lack of a vote kick function. Several games have been ruined now due to cheating fuck wits.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I thought the single player was quite compelling once it got going, not good just enjoyable enough for me to continue. Even with the two game breaking bugs I encountered. One required me to hold down a lean key so the long range weapons on the helicopter (or whatever it was) would actually fire.

I think they went a bit too heavy on the military jargon. It made a story and chatter a little hard to follow, for someone that doesn't know that stuff.

I've not played much of the multiplayer but the sniping is ridiculous.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Took me a good long while to work out that whilst I test fired hydra's in the helicopter they wanted me to fire hellfire at the mortars and that required pressing number four. Apparently I blinked and missed the text that explained it, so I sat there with the pilot get all snarky at me whilst the enemy respawned over and over again until I pressed randomly at buttons to see if I could change weaponry.

Had to change server a few times last night due to hackers. Then got called a hacker myself when I tried a hardcore server and suddenly found myself handing out a whooping.

The p90 is a lovely gun and like deej said, its monster mag allows for the mowing down of far more people than the other guns do.

There is a lot of contention about the sniping, I've tried a bit with the battle rifles and the bolt actions and it's stupidly easy to catch someone in the head across the map whilst they're moving full tilt, not that you need to as if you use open tip ammo a belly shot is a kill shot unless they've got flak vests equipped. I think it needs tweaking quite a lot.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Bloody Activision. Wait, what?
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

£7 for 4 maps?