Guide to PS1 Emulation on the PSP

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Guide to PS1 Emulation on the PSP

Post by mrbobbins »

PLAYING PS1 GAMES ON YOUR PSP

Once you have upgraded your firmware to 3.02 OE-B your PSP is ready to play downloaded PS1 games from the PS3 online store, if you have aquired any of these ready made games just put them in the PSP/GAME folder of your memory stick and play them straight from the Game menu.

If you want to play your original PS1 games you may have in the loft, or any of the many sweepable original PS games, you need to convert them. The 3.02 OE-B firmware download comes with a nice tool to do this called Popstation The one included with the firmware is a very basic command line tool, a GUI version is much more user friendly with better options and includes ALL required files

1) First of all you need to create a usable file from your original PS1 disc. The best tool I have found for this is Alcohol 120, although this is not a free program. Nero should also work, as should any CD/DVD ripping type prgram with which you can create disc images

2) A quality rip of an image is essential, I have found that a BIN/CUE image rip is more compatible than a standard ISO, and so far I have only been successful with Alcohol 120. If you need more help ripping a game to an image file let me know

3) Download the Popstation GUI version found Here

4) Run popstationGUI.exe and check out the various options

Choose the .BIN file (or .ISO), choose the location of the final game conversion to be saved to.

If you are using an original PAL PS1 game then check the 'Convert to NTSC' box, PAL games produce more graphical glitches

The other sections are purely optional

Game Title, Save, ID - If you want to have more than PS1 game on a memory stick you need to distinguish between them with the Game ID number, otherwise all your games will use the same game save files, select the game from the list or use a unique number if not found (Unique number untested, In theory you could pick a random game then change the Game Title and Save Game fields manually)

Customize the Game - Because Popstation uses original PS3 store game download files to convert your old game, unless you change the game images all the conversions will use the menu icons from the game 'Hot Shots Golf 2' either create your own images or go here: http://pixelstation.pixelreview.net/ for some excellent ready made images, most just use the small menu icon and the backdrop image. Point popstationGUI to the image files you have saved and click 'Preview' to see how it will look on your PSP

5) An EBOOT.PHP file and KEYS.BIN file will be created in the output directory you specified, copy them into a folder on your memory stick in: PSP/GAME/'GAMENAME'

If you actually call a folder 'GAMENAME' come and see Mr RO-BO after class

6) Launch the game from the normal game menu, press the Home button to access a PS1 emulator menu while running

Notes:

Every failure I encountered while trying this out with various games was due to a crappy image ripping program and .ISO files

Might be an idea to check here for a compatibility list of games, although as there are many different disc ripping programs and a few different Popstation GUI's around it might be worth a go anyway

If you're going for sweeping ready made games don't forget to search for the terms PS1 and PSX!!

Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

this would appear to be almost 100% of win mr bobbins!. :ahoy:

now i just need a PSP and some 'legitimately' owned PS games.....
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

and I just need someone to break 2.82 or higher :(
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

This is a pretty good indication of the range of PS1 games available

Top 25 PS1 Games of all time

If only for bringing this Resident Evil 2 memory back it deserves a look through:

"not to forget the best hidden playable character of all time -- Tofu. Yep, play through the game in ultra-hard mode as a walking stick of tofu. With a knife. Genius"

:lol:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Thanks Bobbins, also that pixelstation site looks beautiful*

*attempts website theft
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:Thanks Bobbins, also that pixelstation site looks beautiful*

*attempts website theft
Yeah, the top buttons resemble the 5punky ones, and their review section is very nice, easy to read, nice layout
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

In case you can't be arsed (it's a page per game) they say:
25 Point Blank
24 Tomba
23 Intelligent Qube
22 Twisted Metal 2
21 Final Fantasy Tactics
20 WarHawk
19 Um Jammer Lammy
18 Street Fighter Alpha 3
17 Tomb Raider
16 Soul Blade
15 Silent Hill
14 Ape Escape
13 Resident Evil 2
12 Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
11 PaRappa the Rapper
10 Final Fantasy VII
9 Wipeout XL
8 Vagrant Story
7 Ridge Racer
6 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
5 Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
4 Gran Turismo
3 Tekken 3
2 Castlevania Symphony of the Night
1 Metal Gear Solid

The Breath of Fire games were also rather good 2D RPGs, back before they went 3D and totally stank up the series with BoF5.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

What?! No Jumping Flash? Check out the next-gen textures on this baby: http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstati ... creenshots
:shock:

edit: I think I'll get that Castlevania one.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47123

That list isn't totally reliable, as I found out by way of Metal Gear Solid.

When it gets to the video of the nuclear missile firing whilst talking to the president of arms tech, the video crashes and half the screen goes green, whilst still playing the sound in the background and continues to play the sound from every video in the game and then loops..

:cry:
The Incredible...
Sir Didymus
Sir Didymus

Post by The Incredible... »

before i start buggering about with my PSP (though i probably can't do it yet, cos i just upgraded to 3.5 yesterday, oops)

i'm interested to know how you cope with the lack of L2 and R2 buttons when playing emulated PSOne games?
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Usually you can press left or right on the analogue stick for PSOne games that never really used the analogue in the first place, or for other games you can manually set them to the d-pad instead, and use the analogue stick to move etc...

It's all configurable to whatever you want within each emulated game on the PSP, and to be honest, very few PS1 games made use of the lower shoulder buttons with the exception of fighting games.
The Incredible...
Sir Didymus
Sir Didymus

Post by The Incredible... »

cool thanks for that.

now i just have to wait til someone cracks 3.5

another question. If, hypothetically, someone was to get so incredibly frustrate with a game that they bit into their PSP, leaving 2 bite marks on the screen, and they wanted not to have bitemaks on their screen, would it be reasonable to take out insurance to cover the PSP and then claim on it, even though the damage occurred before the policy was taken out

not that i am such an anger spack that i would bite my PSP
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

It would probably be easier to just buy a replacement screen to be honest, or if you fancy giving it a go, there is solution you can use that goes hard ( :lol: :roll: ) and is mainly used for filling scratches, but not sure if it would work on a teeth mark though.

P.S. You'll probably never get a downgrader now you have gone to 3.50 :faint:
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:P.S. You'll probably never get a downgrader now you have gone to 3.50 :faint:
Oh, I dunno. We thought we'd never get around 2.80. It'll take a while though, there's been a flurry of firmwares recently.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

Back tp the top we go.

Hooray hooray! there appears to be a legit downgrader for 3.50 firmware!

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmware/1 ... orial.html

for text on how to, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7c2r84A ... ed&search=

for a video howto (i cant see it being there for long narf, but its been up for 2mths already)

Now i just need to find a copy of lumines.

anyone got a uk copy? i'll send it back...honest.

ETA:Well dont i look like a twunt, apparently its been out for ages, so you lot probably already knew about it.

I still need to borrow a copy of lumines though
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Video Downloader doesn't seem to want to grab that vid, anyone else have anything, so it can be preserved for future generations?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Splendid, here's link to info on a supposed PSP unbricker, Pandora's Battery, should anyone have the need.
http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

FatherJack wrote:Splendid, here's link to info on a supposed PSP unbricker, Pandora's Battery, should anyone have the need.
http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html
oooh, reading that, it may also downgrade 3.51 and 3.52 to 1.5

thats good to know an all
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

I have Lumines if you still need it.