Belgiumbash (maybe)

Forum for organising the next LAN event

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Belgiumbash (maybe)

Post by Mr. Johnson »

So after tonight's TS discussions I've started to form some ideas for the Belgium bash in my head, but there's quite a few random thoughts so please support me with any ideas and suggestions you have.

I'm looking to do it either in either April or May, as this will be long after Jockbash and well before his wedding, and will give you all enough time to get your holidays/monies/approval from the missus ready. I'm also wondering on how long it should be, as you'd be making your way over here and in order to get your money's worth it'd have to be at least four days or so. Off course, the longer you stay here the more it will cost you (food and drink wise, you can stay at my house for free, obviously). I would like to get as many people as possible so that we can get group discounts, but 'a group' is usually around 20 people so that might be aiming a bit too high.

There's also the beard bash thing. Grimmie's mentioned that he'd still like to do one, but with all the different things that might happen this and next year it might be difficult to fit it in so I was thinking we could combine the two like we did at Grimbash, as I have enough space to separate two different groups. And if the Belgiumbash idea doesn't go through I could always settle for a smaller, quieter Belgian beard bash. That would probably not be worth making the trip though.
For those of you who'd like to simply visit Belgium with their missus, as I'm certain I've heard a few people mention that, I could run a mini guest house after the bash if you want to send your missus over the pond, there's usually two rooms available. (for free as long as you take care of your own drink and food)
If there is enough positive interest I can start making proper plans, such as things we could visit (or in our case, demolish), transport, eating and drinking places, etc...
It'd be nice if people could tell me if they can make it or not as soon as they can (now would be already appreciated), remember that it's cheaper if you book early, and I will probably not be able to accept maybes.

So, any ideas or suggestions?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

That sounds like a brilliant idea Mr J.

Sadly I know for a fact I shall not be able to make it, namely because April/May will be spent in New Zealand and Australia.

Nonetheless, I commend your bravery for willing to shelter some 5punkers as they make their way over to the mainland :)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Any other months are probably possible for me as well, I was just thinking may/april will be the easiest for most people, but any other suggestions I will gladly consider.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

I get 3 weeks break for easter starting 8th April, so I might be able to make it
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Air fares are cheapest 8 weeks before departure, so.. That's about as much notice as we need.
I'll go down as a probable yes, I'd love to come again :)
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Grimmie wrote: I'll go down as a probable yes
Me also!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've been looking forward to an opportunity for a Belgiumbash. Money would be my only concern, since I don't have any now and I'm not sure how different that's likely to be in April. So while I really want to say yes I just can't say it's a definite one right now.
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Count me in! We will drown in chocolate!

Do airlines offer discounts for groups of travellers? just thinking about 5punkers meeting and getting on the same flights. Or, driving. I can't remember how long the journey is, but it's not terrible...

Edit: And all the mattentaart we can eat! Let's go now!
Last edited by Legoshoes on September 3rd, 2010, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Grimmie wrote:I'll go down as I'd love to come again :)
Fix'd. :?

Definitely maybe possible from me as per usual Mr J. I always try and save up for things then other things steal it away again.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I would be interested, my birthdays the end of april, so april/may time is good for me
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

I shall say yes.
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

I'm up for it, just need to make sure I can get the time off :)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It seems April would be the best time to organize this, weather will be almost guaranteed shit but you're probably used to that by now.
Any date within April is fine really, but from the 11th till the 25th it's easter holidays, and there might be more stuff to do then. I was thinking four days including a weekend, just like grimbash, but any other ideas you might have regarding length/dates please suggest away.
I'll start making transport, food and things to do threads over the following months when I've got my date settled. Official bash announcement will be posted too, as per usual.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I found this little youtube clip today that happens to be an excellent way to describe Belgium and it's horrible, horrible politics. I thought it was appropriate to put it here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceg6NQKHd70[/media]

Woman needs to learn how to pronounce godverdomme though.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Pffft. For some reason it reminded me of an Aperture Science video.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:Pffft. For some reason it reminded me of an Aperture Science video.
Don't you dare tell me the mattetart is a lie!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Unless bad shit happens, I'm organizing this bash from Friday the 15th of April to Monday 18th of April, four days in all. If anyone wants to come earlier or stay longer you are off course welcome, but these four days will be bash-time. just so you know.
It's not too late to make me change to the weekend before or the weekend after, but you'll have to CALL NOW.

As I said before, when I find the time I'll make some threads regarding transport and food etc.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

LadyJocks B'day is on the 23rd but it's close enough to make this a really probable
Fred Woogle
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fred Woogle »

I very much fancy this :)
Fred Woogle
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fred Woogle »

I'd also be interested in the guest house after if Children (a small child) are allowed...