48 Hours (+2): APB Pricing Plan

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

News Reader
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

48 Hours (+2): APB Pricing Plan

Post by News Reader »

Image 48 Hours (+2): APB Pricing Plan
The APB Pricing model has been revealed and it's not quite what we were expecting. Previously it was stated it would be subscription free. And it still kinda be. Basically, buying the game comes with 50 hours of actual shoot-and-driveage. After that, there's other options, varying from seven dollars for an extra 20 hours, to [...]

Author: Kieron Gillen
Category: RockPaperShotgun apb realtime worlds
Publish Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:17:26 +0000

The APB Pricing model has been revealed and it's not quite what we were expecting. Previously it was stated it would be subscription free. And it still kinda be. Basically, buying the game comes with 50 hours of actual shoot-and-driveage. After that, there's other options, varying from seven dollars for an extra 20 hours, to a play-as-much-as-your-want (gasp!) monthly subscription fee for ten dollars. I'm going to quote the full current FAQ answer below, because there's some stuff which is worth highlighting and talking about. Join me!

(more...)

Image Image
Read more... - Read comments...

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

eeeenteresting.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

"Sucky sucky 10 dollar" a month isn't too bad at all.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Eeenteresting indeed. While I kind of agree with Kieron's point at the end about people not liking to have to pay to play an online action game, I do like the pricing model options. For people who play a lot the subscription is going to be the best choice, but if not then you can buy up time in chunks to play whenever you fancy, and you don't feel like your subscription time is ticking away. I think it's the way of the future. As for buying game time with 'in game' (sort of) cash, Eve has been kind of doing that for years. I like how they're encouraging it though.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Anyone still playing this?

I got bored after a few minutes of beta day two and binned it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I haven't had chance to play past the first day beta. I wasn't hugely impressed, but then that's what beta testing is for.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Dog Pants wrote:I haven't had chance to play past the first day beta. I wasn't hugely impressed, but then that's what beta testing is for.
:above: could be worth a fuckabout once it's cheap
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I just totally forget when the next testing times are, I'm not sure the model they've used for the beta is conducive to getting useful results, I'd have probably played a lot more if they were less sporadic, but now I've all but forgotten about it.

Paying only for the hours you play is a nice option to have, although you'd be logging out every time you went for a piss in case it turned into being a dump and you ended up pooing pennies into the porecelain.

50 hour is probably enough to decide if it's something you want to play all the time, just pick up for a month at a time, or play an hour or two sporadically.

Not sure about in-game currency buying game time though as a general principle - it tends to make everything overpriced, but if they limit it to user-created content, which doesn't eat gametime hours to produce it might work.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

FatherJack wrote:Paying only for the hours you play is a nice option to have, although you'd be logging out every time you went for a piss in case it turned into being a dump and you ended up pooing pennies into the porecelain.
I know I'm going to regret asking, but surely that's only going to be a loss of 15 minutes on average at most?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Maybe my arsehole is tighter than yours. Still, 15 minutes is 7p, I usually try and save them up for work, so I get paid for doing them as well as having free toilet paper.

In truth, with all the beer, I usually shit through the eye of a needle, so it's not a lengthy process - but it's where I do all my reading so spend a while in there.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I've gotten into the beta of this. It could be fun I guess, only played for an hour, mostly in the tutorial. Not sure it's worth $10 a month though.