Tales from Dwarf Fortress

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Dog Pants wrote:I'd say use the same starting point, that way we get the most similarity. I don't mind where it is - in fact somewhere a little more difficult might make it more interesting (and quicker). The desert start I did was certainly interesting. In fact, we could use one of the recover sites.
that all sounds good to me, i was going to ask if it would be easier for you to put a save up for other people to grab than it would be for you to get the save if someone else did it?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't know, I've never tried to upload such a large file. The region file only looks to be about 50MB, so it's probably not a problem for me to download and it's not like we'll be moving them around a lot.

If we all start games with a new region does that mean we lose our old ones, along with our current games?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

How well do the saves compress? I'd expect very well if they're that big.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dunno, I'll give it a go.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Dog Pants wrote:I don't know, I've never tried to upload such a large file. The region file only looks to be about 50MB, so it's probably not a problem for me to download and it's not like we'll be moving them around a lot.

If we all start games with a new region does that mean we lose our old ones, along with our current games?
The whole save game naming is retarded. I can never work out which one was my latest save. Even sorting the folder by date/time doesn't seem to work and when I load the 'latest' one it somehow ends up being an older savegame. Am I missing something obvious?

And yeah, it appears you can only have one region live at a time. I think.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I can't work it out either. I just continue game.

A zipped up region (my region at least) is 47MB. Not a huge compression.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Doesn't look like it's a cpu/gpu hungry game, could you not run two distinct and separate copies?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Probably, but it is a HDD hungry game. My DF folder is 2.4GB.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I get the impression that the game's code isn't very efficient and it's quite resource hungry, especially for a text based game. For me it will stop responding for a few seconds during loading and saving.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Probably. Mind you, the ASCII interface belies a pretty complex bunch of code in the background. Apparently the first version had graphics, but he ditched that in favour of improved gameplay. Good call imo.

(And most games stop responding during load/save - they just hide it better :P )
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

friznit wrote:Probably. Mind you, the ASCII interface belies a pretty complex bunch of code in the background.
Indeed. I played enough of the game to see how deep it goes and it gave me the fear, so I stopped. I'm not criticising the game overall, it's obviously an incredible feat. It's just that it's one bloke doing all the work and he's obviously focusing more on the core gameplay than anything else.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Yeah. Kinda wish more game devs would do that eh?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

im pretty sure ive had multiple forts running in one region at a time, i will just check, ive made 8 regions and played like 12 games , still have most of the saves for them all.

the saves are done by the fortress name, and then game type, and then its the region number and the season and year, the only problem is its not the translated fortress name so it can be a bit confusing, so i find its easier to remember the region it was in, although then it gets confusing when you have multiple fortresses in one region
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i quickly slapped a squad together in my newest fort and somehow managed to get them to do proper training, or atleast wait to do proper training if the arsenal dorf wasnt shit at his job as theres aparantly some equipment mismatches, although that couldve been cos of the weapon traps i built
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

that was lucky timing on drafting that first squad, i just had my first snatcher, and imidiatly after i killed him an ambush arrived, who got caught in my traps and then slaughtered by my fresh recruits
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I've just had my first gobbo ambush, 2 years in. They killed a peasant and then got rapidly dispatched by my squad.

Something nasty in the army screen causes CTDs. I seem to have fixed it by stripping all their gear, dispanding the squads and reforming them. They're now properly sporting a full set of gear and training happily.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

had my first gobba siege today, which I saw off with only 2 or 3 losses. Unfortunately the game then CTD'd so I had to do it all again. When it CTD's a second time I gave up. Not worth the effort if it's going to keep doing that.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Siege seems to be a bit of a misnomer, since it's just extra goblins with some critters. Shame about the CTDs though. I've not had a single one.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Yeha, I've not CTD'd either.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Hmm. Maybe I'll try running on a single core.

Then again, I'm not convinced my machine is entirely happy. Odd things crash oddly but it's all very sporadic and non-repeatable. Possibly time to upgrade to 7 from fista64 I s'pose.