Tales from Dwarf Fortress

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

this needs to be able to to track dwarfs in windows like you can trains in traincrack
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

And goblins.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

:above: hard

My entrance excavations went a bit wrong. Another cave in crushed a miner, breaking almost every bone in his body. The medic tried to clean him up but a batch of rascal puppies had run off with all the soap. The miner succumbed to an infection and is now buried alongside the Mad Milker who failed a fey mood and got punched to death by the off duty militia. I'm now getting 'dog fail to clean self' spam because they've swallowed the soap (I believe it's a bug). And for some reason I can't train the 4 non-pet dogs I have either.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

friznit wrote:I'm now getting 'dog fail to clean self' spam because they've swallowed the soap (I believe it's a bug). And for some reason I can't train the 4 non-pet dogs I have either.
yeah thats the problem with soap aparantly, animals put it in their mouth, and then try to clean themselves with it, and they cant.

also i think the dogs have to be marked as trainable, but i dont know how to get them to be marked as trainable, ive only ever trained 2 hunting dogs, because thats all it would let me do. wouldnt let me make war dogs, or train any of the othe 20 odd dogs i had sitting around
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Btw, anyone up for a succession game? We could do an evening or two each...or just as much or as little as you want but time limit your turn to a couple of days and pass it on.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, could be interesting. How would we work it? If it's passing saves around I might have to opt out, since they're about 500MB each and it'd take me a couple of days to download the thing.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

You on dial up or something? Can the saves be compressed? And would hosting them somewhere with decent uploads help?

Just reading up on it and you do need pass the savegame around: 'succession' games tend to refer to time limited turns (couple of days each) whereas 'bloodline' refers to 'ruling' for one game year. Bloodline might be better because it'd involved less save game swappage (and therefore less downloads).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I might as well be on dialup. In reality 500MB would take probably a few hours, but it's enough to make me lose interest. I don't know how well they compress, I've never tried it.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

if that fails, we could try something like all playing on the same starting location and see who lasts the longest

or something like that
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Haha, that's not a bad idea.

Since I have it, here's the reference I was using for my workshop level. I've tried to have a linear process where goods move from workshop to store to workshop without being lugged too far. I've not been entirely succesful (partly because of the network of goods, partly because I forgot a few things). It might be a good reference point though.

shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

this is my dorfs bedrooms, which ive been considering could be used to make a fairly efficient workshop floor layout with a bit of adjusting for stockpiles

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/ ... 1273141893
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Cripes, those all look a bit more complex than my fortress. My workshops are all jumbled together in a hole with various raw material stores dotted around the place and everything else stores on the levels above and below. It seems to be evolving into a big squircle of workshops with stores up or downstairs, which come to think of it might not be a bad idea. The bedrooms are just a long chain of 1x3 cubicles with a bed and cabinet in each. Apparently a dwarf walking through the room doesn't disturb them so this seems to work.

Also, Woodstock...is that where the hippy dorfs hang out?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Apparently a normal dwarf is happy with a 3x1 which holds a bed, cabinet and chest. I make mine 3x3 just because. Thinking about it, I've designed that workshop area in 2d, and in areas where there's a lot of cross-manufacturing (animals and plants mainly) I could extend it up or down to cut the journeys.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Have you got economy turned on? Apparently the rent for large rooms can get prohibitive for average dorfs. I've turned Econ off for now cos it sounded a little too complicated in what is already a game with a steep learning curve.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i saw something about it but have no idea how to turn it on or anything, the wiki page didnt have anything in it for the current version.

in my last fortress looking at the numbers for the old version if i had a baron i would have been able to start it, when i get the chance here ill give it a go
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I believe it's the same: there's a bool in the init.txt for Economy. It doesn't kick in until your first noble turns up, and that requires quite a few criteria to get (iirc something like 100 dorfs, some level of wealth and minimum of 25 of each craft produced in a year). The whole thing sounds like a bit of an embuggerance for no discernable gain though, so I'm not sure what the point is (apart from simulating another aspect of dorf life I suppose)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

There's an option to show you how much of the criteria you've filled before the king comes, which I think is when all the other nobles start hanging about. Fortress value (produced goods), road value, and a few other things. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I'd hit all but the road one on my last fortress.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

if we did do something all in the same starting location on a map (which the more i thought about it the more it seems like a simple but fun way to do this as i expect we all have very different play styles along with how the game works events wont happen at the same times if ever replecated in each game) who would want to make the reigon? and would we have a save for the reigon and each find the agreed starting spot and pick dorf/equipment loadouts, or have the starting save with everyone starting with an agree'd upon starting load? etc etc

this way would seem alot easier than a succession game once the starting stuff is decided as you only need one save and dont need to play at a set pace and such
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'd say use the same starting point, that way we get the most similarity. I don't mind where it is - in fact somewhere a little more difficult might make it more interesting (and quicker). The desert start I did was certainly interesting. In fact, we could use one of the recover sites.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Castle Rock Anus is heading into its second winter, and with the miners fully recuperated after their cave in incident, digging has started again. An extension to the store rooms and more private rooms is the first priority, before continuing the exploratory mining for elusive flux stone and the mysterious dead ant men, 100 z levels below. The Mayor has mandated the production of some brass items but lacking the available materials the only option was to melt down some trinkets purchased from a passing human caravan. The puppies still have all the soap and are refusing to behave, but at least the meat industry is beginning to show signs of improvement.

Entrance fortifications are still in the experimental stage, with a draw bridge and curtain wall being the first attempt. I'm strongly considering redoing the whole fortress and taking it down half a dozen levels to create more space though.