The Mentalist

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

The Mentalist

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

This was recommended to me by that fucking duck, as like Castle, but with a derren brown type chap, and less good.

It's actually fairly entertaining, worth a look if you enjoy Castle, and to a lesser extent eleventh hour and numb3rs.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I've never actually seen a full episode, but I don't think I will because the lead character is the smuggest fucker I have ever seen, and it's really putting me off from watching.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I dunno, I find the smugness works pretty well in context. also, good portrayal of smug bastards like derren brown :P
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I was initially put off by the smugness, but as Berk says it works very well for a character who's "thing" is basically to cold read and con people like Derren Brown.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

It never really looked that interesting to be honest. That combined with FlashForward and Justified right now giving me enough to watch means I can't be bothered to look. Plus the USA summer line up (Burn Notice, Psych, Royal Pains) is coming back soon-ish (June).
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: The Mentalist

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:This was recommended to me by Sheriff, about nine months ago (but I clearly failed to listen to his excellent advice), as like Castle, but with a derren brown type chap, and less good.

It's actually fairly entertaining, worth a look if you enjoy Castle, and to a lesser extent eleventh hour and numb3rs.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Well, you are a massive faaabulous with poor taste in telly, I ignore 95% of what you say :P
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ive been watching this for a while with the mrs. I like it, its smart enough to not be boring, but silly enough to not require a whole lot of thought. Just what I want after a long day at werk.

The main character is smug as all hell, but for some reason I dont find it annoying. It fits with the character, and although he's smug he never comes off as superior.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

I found it boring. It's way closer to CSI on the procedural scale than to Castle.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Who the fuck is this Sheriff Fatman chap? He sounds awfully queer!
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Just finished watching the first series. It's very good, I enjoy it a lot. Once you get past the character's smugness you start to warm to him considerably.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

:above:

oh, and if you like this, Eleventh Hour might be worth a look.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

You know how most TV series like to have a big "event" at the end of the run to act as a cliffhanger? The Mentalist chaps decided to put one 8 episodes in to the second series - and holy shit was it momentous.

Love this show.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Binge: Ended :(