Total votes: 8

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Torchlight - PC

Post by Dog Pants »

Torchlight - PC

Introduction
Torchlight is an action adventure dungeonhack in the vein of Diablo. Using a simple one-click interface you explore dungeons, killing of the denizens and looting all the treasure therein. The similarities to Diablo aren't as much as a rip off as you might think - it's developed by the original's creators and is the precursor to a MMO in the same setting and system.

Gameplay
Anyone who has played Diablo or similar will instantly be familiar with the controls. Left clicking moves or attacks, right click activates a predetermined spell or ability. The game follows a character progression system that has three levels. First is experience, gained from completing quests and killing monsters. This levels up your character, allowing you to raise your four stats and buy talents. Second is reputation, gained from killing bosses, which gives you extra points to spend on talents. Third is gear, which is arguably the fulcrum of the game. Monsters in Torchlight commonly drop weapons, armour, and other items. Often these are magical, offering a variety of randomly generated bonuses. This makes for compelling playing as every drop could be an upgrade, sometimes a big one. Picking up a new weapon to find that it does twice as much damage as the one you're carrying is quite a thrill, especially when you start one-shotting the monsters that were previously troubling you.

There are several innovations in Torchlight that are a welcome addition to the spelunking genre. First up is your pet. All three character classes get either a cat or a dog who fights alongside you and is extremely useful. Your pet can carry as much gear as you can, and can also wear trinket items. They can also, bizarrely, cast spells you teach them. A dog casting spells you say? That's not the half of it, it gets weirder. You can, if you like, teach your pet summoning spells. Which means if you're like me your pet can have a pet zombie horde following them around. Not strange enough yet? You can go fishing, dragging up various aquatic creatures to feed your pet. Not only are they tasty, the cause your pet to transform into something else for a few minutes - an elemental, a goblinhound, a little rhino thing, spider, blob of goo. There's a long list. There's no explanation for this, it's just what happens when animals eat fish. Finally though, and most usefully, you can dispatch your pet off to town where he will sell whatever you have put in his inventory and return with the cash. This means you don't have to keep going back to town every five minutes to cash in all the junk you've picked up, and it really keeps the game flowing. Not that you'll be short of town portal scrolls. Or potions for that matter. Is it weird that the vendors will buy stuff off a dog? No more than anything else in the game.

There's other things too which improve on the formula. There's several utility NPCs who can be used in a form of light crafting. Gems can be picked up to put into socketed items, and there's a bloke who will transmute multiples into higher value gems. He can do similar things with magic items and potions. There are a couple of goblins who will recover your gems from socketed items, or free up the sockets for new gems. There's an enchanter who, for a price, will put a random enchantment on an item. Even if it's already enchanted, leading to items with huge long lists of bonuses. You have a storage chest in town for those nice items you don't want to sell, which is pretty standard, but there's also a group chest you can put things in for your other characters to pick up.

Sights and Sounds
The graphics are cartoony and fairly colourful, with strong similarities to World of Warcraft. It works well, and generally things are nice and clear even when your screen is full of monsters and fireballs. Animation is solid, and the soundtrack is appropriate and, I think, dynamic. The level pallette changes every 10 levels or so along with the monsters, and it seems to be just the right amount, giving you something different as you start to get bored of the scenery.

Stuff that sucks
It's fairly linear. There are a few little branches off the main dungeon line in the form of treasure maps which open portals to random dungeons, and a few similar things, but for the most part you will be slowly spelunking your way down the main line of the game. There's also not a great deal in the way of storyline. Something about an evil wizard I think. It's also quite easy on normal mode - I died for the first time at level 19, around 10 hours in. None of these are major bad points though, and there's nothing to really hate.

Conclusion
Torchlight is a Diablo clone at heart, but it's a good one. Taking the formula and improving it in many ways makes this a very well polished, slick little spelunker. Well worth the £15 on Steam.

Score : :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Also, I forgot to add, there's a construction kit for it. The devs want to encourage modders to play with things so we might see some great things for the game in the future. Maybe even multiplayer...
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

2/5 for me. The main game is very short, with little to no story line. That made it hard to me to get into. If you enjoy collecting armor and weapons for upgrades this game might be fun, but after I beat it the 1st time I didn't feel I needed to play it anymore. I think Yahtzee's review was pretty spot on for this game. I wouldn't pay full price, but I got it for $2 from the Steam X-mas sale. So I'll give it a star per dollar spent.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

It's got the basic hit/smash combat down, but I don't like the style or the controls. Titan Quest is better in every area in my opinion. It's not bad, but the $10 I spent is about as much as I would be willing to.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

Bought it for like £3 in the sale and it more than provided enough entertainment for that price, distracting me from my studies pretty damn effectively. Also despite me disliking Diablo and other Diablo clones, I really like Torchlight. I think it's probably because it has guns.

Also I genuinely love games that have randomisation elements that fuck you over. Whoops! That superenchanted pistol is now just a piece of inert shit, better luck next time!

MAXIMUM STARS.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I played the demo and thought it a bit too similar to Diablo/Dungeon Siege, then I played those again and they made my eyes hurt with their jaggedy pixels, so I might give this another go.

I think I stopped playing the demo because I couldn't face more of exactly the same - I did find it a bit boring - perhaps there's a bit more variety further in.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

FatherJack wrote: I think I stopped playing the demo because I couldn't face more of exactly the same - I did find it a bit boring - perhaps there's a bit more variety further in.
no there isn't, you go from killing ratfolk and batfolk, to slaying undead, to murdering pixiefolk, to lizardfolk, to dwarves and then finally to demon and dragonthings, and they all operate in pretty much exactly the same way and die to one or two hits from your mightiest area effect attack.

I wouldn't have found it any fun if I carried on in normal mode. I started again on hard hardcore mode partway through, and the threat of permanent death and losing everything made it a fun gamble
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

I vote 3/5

Loadsa fun but not much depth, can't see me replaying it very much but enjoyed most of what I have played.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

This thread is the perfect example of why we need to be able to modify our scores on the review list thing, assuming that gets implimented. A game might seem great until it suddenly ends far sooner than you expected. Still, I've put in 15 hours so far and it's still going.

Torchlight does have mods on its side though. The whole game is customisable, and already there's a slew of new skins, items, monsters, and maps. A few small campaigns have appeared, and it's possible that the community might produce some outstanding full game mods in time. By reskinning and remodelling everything, and adjusting the item stats, you could in theory create a WH40k or SLA Diablo-a-like.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Tried the demo again, it's a bit Too Much Information But Not Actually The Right Information. You get a spell scroll and it says you can equip it, learn it, cast it, right click it, shift-click it, even teach it to your pet - but I wasn't entirely sure which of these did what, whether they were mutually exclusive, or where my pet's "spell bar" was.

I must stop attempting it last thing, though.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

There are empty spell slots in your and your pets inventory and you drag spell scrolls onto that. Identify scrolls and town portal scrolls are useable items rather than spells, but you can find spell versions later on.

I thought it was pretty intuitive, really
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Code: Select all

Dog Pants
Site Moderator (Posts: 11933)
Site Moderator
	XFIRE Profile

New postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18    Post subject:   	Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
And your pet casts spells on its own. I like to give them summoning spells.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail B3ta User XFIRE(spacer)ADD XFIRE FRIEND Xbox(spacer)ADD XBOX FRIEND Urban Dead(spacer)Add Urban Dead user to Contacts List Last.fm Profile Flickr Profile

shot2bits
Optimus Prime (Posts: 1202)
Optimus Prime
	XFIRE Profile

New postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19    Post subject:   	Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
and im pretty sure you use spells you learnt by setting them to right click, like with the skills, and im pretty sure you can hotbar spells and skills to quickly change between the right click function, i know you can atleast do it with tab, but should also work with 1-0 buttons
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

deject wrote:It's got the basic hit/smash combat down, but I don't like the style or the controls. Titan Quest is better in every area in my opinion. It's not bad, but the $10 I spent is about as much as I would be willing to.
The Titan Quest controls are infuriating me - I want to attack enemies, but end up moving next to them and doing nothing instead.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

FatherJack wrote: The Titan Quest controls are infuriating me - I want to attack enemies, but end up moving next to them and doing nothing instead.
Holding shift stops you from moving I think, if that's the problem. Otherwise I just click a lot and roughly on the enemies until they're dead.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Yep, shift is your friend if you're a ranged class.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You get the same problem in Torchlight.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Grimmie wrote:Yep, shift is your friend.
fix'd. It actually helps a lot no matter what class you are.
rabbidrabbit
Svenno
Svenno

Post by rabbidrabbit »

deject wrote:
Grimmie wrote: Yep. Shift is your friend.
fix'd. It actually helps a lot no matter what class you are.
My alchemist has a ranged staff that fires poison orbs and I often found myself going up and using my weaker melee mace.