Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Wii Sports - Wii

Post by FatherJack »

Wii Sports - Wii

Wii Hardware
While this scarcely needs an introduction, here a few points about the hardware itself, that I hadn't picked up from the prerelease chat.

It's quite small. It looks rather like a white external CD drive, and only looks remarkable when mounted on its stand. The stand has a transparent circular attachment which keeps it pretty stable, although you only really need to go anywhere near it when changing CDs. It has little doors which open to reveal an SD card slot, four GameCube controller ports (!) and two GC memory card slots. It has phono+scart connectors and the magic sensor thingy. The sensor has a generous amount of rather delicate-looking cable, and sits either above or below the centre of your TV - tiny stand and extra stickies provided.

The controllers are equally smaller than I expected, and the length of cable between the mote and the chuk, while less than my full armspan, has not been a problem so far gameplay-wise. Changing between mote-only and chuk config is fiddly (and necessary when you switch games) if you connect the strap how they say, infact even passing the mote to another player is harder than it need be. Ideally the straps would have been quickly disconnectable from the mote, with spare straps provided.

Setup's fairly simple, even typing by pointing the mote at the letters was easier than I expected, plus there's an on-screen phone-like TXT pad available which is probably a clever move. Internet setup is easy if you router's setup is standard and your neighbourhood isn't wireless-infested, but their servers are very busy.

Wii Sports
A collection of five games, with training modes and some basic games. Sometimes the training modes are more fun than the actual games, and there is very little depth beyond the standard game-types.

Bowling
Perhaps the most sedate-seeming of the games, but I actually managed to split my jeans playing it today. Fortunately I was saved any embarrassment as everyone just assumed I had blown off.

This is the only one in my experience that you pretty much have to stand up for. Standard game is ten frames of normal-rules bowling, spin seems to be a bit difficult to get right, becoming easier as you approach the screen. The training is way more enjoyable - with barriers to spin around and up to 100 pins to knock down at once - where else can you do that?

Up to four players can swap a single mote to play.

Golf
Another supposedly-restful sport, this one really gets you carried away. While it is possible to play seated, and kind of flick the controller from over your shoulder as if fishing - it's much more fun to pretend it's a real golf club. It's the best of the games, so it's a real shame there's only a single nine-hole course. Doing short hits can be a bit problematic at times, there are no options for vertical ball control, and landing off the fairway can be catastrophic. It's great fun, but really just leaves you wanting a "proper" golf release on the system.

Up to four players can swap a single mote to play, although there is a lot of swapping to be done. Also, check you are not underneath the lights - it's an easy one to get caught up in.

Baseball
This is a nice bit of exercise, but possibly harder standing up. When batting, the timing is hard to get right, and the aim a little erractic. It seems the timing's more important than the direction, as you can play seated and swing to the side. Pitching's a bit random too - you can control direction and speed a bit, but not with any consistent effect on CPU batters. You sometimes annoyingly swing when repositioning the mote, missing critical shots.

You need a mote per player for this one. Also the pitching action is the most likely to see your mote flying towards the screen if it's not strapped on.

Tennis
Bit lost with this one. While actually hitting the ball is quite a natural, satisfying action, subsequently directing it is a bit random. Playing standing helps, as underarm motions seem to be more directable than the smash or volley-height strokes possible when seated. As with baseball, it's easy to miss-swing when readying - thus missing your stroke.

Multiple players need a mote each. Important to stand still, despite the sluggishness of your character's running.

Boxing
Easily the most knackering, but that's mostly (perhaps realistically) because most of your blows seem to go wasted. Haven't quite got the hang of dodging, and the sparring training ended with a punch I found impossible to throw, no matter where I aimed. Probably only included because it needs the chuk, it's a rather poor game. A shame, as I thought it had a lot of promise, but any dreams of pummelling your opponent with a windmill flurry of blows are quickly shattered - this particular game doesn't reward quick, repeated movements, only "well-timed" ones.

Multiple players need a mote AND chuk each, which isn't currently worth the expenditure in my view - also, the facing player has a horrible perspective to play from.

Sights and Sounds
Graphics aren't what this system's about, and certainly aren't the focus of this game - they're...okay. It's quite hard to see the flags in Golf, otherwise not noticeably good or bad - your extra Mii's make appearances in your Baseball squad, which is kind of cute. The little sounds from the mote really add to the feeling of personal involvement.

Stuff that sucks
You're never quite sure if you're doing stuff...correctly. Some actions seem a bit random, as things like slow putts in Golf just don't seem to register. The system does have it's limitations in the motion it can detect, and it can frustrate if your on-screen persona isn't doing exactly what you are. It's more a question of training yourself to move as the game expects, rather than getting too carried away with the perceived realism. I've actually played all these sports in real life, and it's hard to shake some habits, particularly leg and head movements, which of course aren't registered by the game.

Conclusion
A very entertaining get-everyone-playing introduction to the system, well worth the price of admission, disappointing in some areas, but leaving hunger for more in others. While the system shows massive potential, this game on it's own, while hugely enjoyable, isn't the best this system is capable of.

Score: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty: :starempty: 7.5/10
MIkkyo
5pork
5pork

Post by MIkkyo »

nice one mate.
I agree with the wanting more part, I have yet to get my own one, but the golf game leaves me wanting a proper wii golf game. I need to add here I fucking hate golf games on any other console, I have yet to find one that I find any fun at all, even real golf annoys me, but for some reason the wii golf is ace.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Pretty much spot on.

For a freebie it's good fun and a useful introduction to what the Wii is capable of. And you're right about learning how the hardware expects you to move rather than being able to do whatever feels natural. Me and Duke of Ted were playing last night, he got to grips with the boxing right away and I was flailing me arms in an attempt swing punches, but I beat him on the bowling.
Sandwich
Polar Bear
Polar Bear

Post by Sandwich »

This confirms to me that the mote is a bit too much of a gimmick. Red Steel and Zelda could really suffer from the mote problems you stated and apart from these few games, i can't see any worthwhile reason for buying a wii. Besides, if the mote is that good, i forsee the other consoles bringing out similar, probably more refined pherephirals(sp?) using the wiimote as a starting concept and then developing it more.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Sandwich wrote:This confirms to me that the mote is a bit too much of a gimmick. Red Steel and <b>Zelda could really suffer from the mote problems you stated</b> and apart from these few games, i can't see any worthwhile reason for buying a wii. Besides, if the mote is that good, i forsee the other consoles bringing out similar, probably more refined pherephirals(sp?) using the wiimote as a starting concept and then developing it more.

<b>*Lumbergh mode active*</b>

"I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there Peter, mmkay?"

I'm 9 hours into Zelda now and I really must stand up for the Wii remote here. It's added a new dimension to the way Zelda plays. I've only scraped the surface of Twilight Princess and I must say the Wii Remote is FAR from a gimmick.

So far I have the boomerang, fishing rod and the slingshot (all of which use the motion sensing action of the remote) and they've been an absolute pleasure to control. The way you can tell if something's a gimmick or not is if you <b>don't</b> think "wo<b></b>w, this is something very special" when you first pick it up. Maybe have a go on Wii sports and see how you feel shortly after.

Although the capabilites are certainly there, it's down to the third parties now to develop titles worthy of it.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Sandwich wrote:This confirms to me that the mote is a bit too much of a gimmick. Red Steel and Zelda could really suffer from the mote problems you stated and apart from these few games, i can't see any worthwhile reason for buying a wii. Besides, if the mote is that good, i forsee the other consoles bringing out similar, probably more refined pherephirals(sp?) using the wiimote as a starting concept and then developing it more.

It works well in Zelda as it doesn't horse you to mimic the on-screen motions, ie. the spinning sword swipe is done by shaking the nunchuk. I really like it so far and the only semi-problem I've come across is that I'm sometimes forgetting that the you have to use the traditional analogue stick to move about rather than wave the wiimote around as I'm becoming used to.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

My arm is killing me. It's great. :lol:
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Stoat wrote:My arm is killing me. It's great. :lol:

:lol:
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Engage Tangent ACTIVE!

Got the Bow on TP yesterday. What an absolute pleasure it is to control.

End Tangent

Anyone planning on reviewing Twilight Princess? I'd do it but I'm totally incapable of being objective when it comes to Zelda games.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

tandino wrote:Anyone planning on reviewing Twilight Princess? I'd do it but I'm totally incapable of being objective when it comes to Zelda games.

Not anytime soon, personally I think this one should be completed before reviewing. Plus I'd suffer from the same bias, how can anyone not like Zelda games? :?

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Wii

Conclusion
Buy it.

Score : :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull:
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

spoodie wrote:Spoodie's post above

Agreed, that's our review!
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:how can anyone not like Zelda games?

:wave:

I find they swing between dull, peculiar, and dull and peculiar.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I'm at the collect the dark insects bit, so only about 3-4 hours in and I usually do a minimum of 6 hours before reviewing, plus have at least 2 or 3 things I don't like.

There's not a lot not to like so far, although the camera is a bit annoying sometimes, so it'll be sometime before I do one.

Wii Play is shit though, while I only bought it to get the second controller and it does showcase movement detection I hadn't realised the system possessed (twisting of mote, either facing screen or not) it isn't worth it as Sports gives you far better training. Each game has it's own set of motions anyway, so even it's benefit as a tutorial is debatable.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

You haven't managed to damage someone/thing with it yet then like this poor chap :lol:

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:You haven't managed to damage someone/thing with it yet then

Only my trousers. My Dad did keep sneaking up behind me to check out my technique when I was winning at Golf (he hates losing at anything) and I commented that he wouldn't be standing there if it were a real golf club. It almost got a bit nasty when my Mum set up the ironing board on the centre of the 8th tee, and invaded the fairway right in the middle of my drive off the 9th, but we avoided any serious injury.
The Incredible...
Sir Didymus
Sir Didymus

Post by The Incredible... »

This seems the best place to ask so here goes...

I'm a poor student with no money and lots of work to do next term, should i ignore these facts and go ahead and buy a wii anyway?

Where can i find unbiased info about the sustem and games?
Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

Your a poor student, with some nominal life saving?

Given what your asking, I'd suggest gaming like a mofo with it until about a week before deadlines, then discovering exactly how much you like red bull/caffene based drinks.

But I kinda failed so don't listen to that...
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Hehulk wrote:Your a poor student, with some nominal life saving?

Given what your asking, I'd suggest gaming like a mofo with it until about a week before deadlines, then discovering exactly how much you like red bull/caffene based drinks.

But I kinda failed so don't listen to that...

I second this. But then, I got a desmond...
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

The Incredible... wrote:I'm a poor student with no money

Possibly not, as they do cost money, and the release price is the highest it will ever be. They might have sold out now, but come the new year, prices will start to drop, plus there will be a few around second-hand from people feeling the pinch after Christmas. Only sillies like me pay full release price for stuff.

The Incredible... wrote:and lots of work to do next term

That's up to you, and how you manage to get work done now with the distraction of your existing game catalogue. There's always the danger that someone else will get one and that you'll spend even more time round theirs playing instead, though. Having one on hand to have a quick blast on in-between work sessions could be a benefit, but don't quote me on that.

The Incredible... wrote:Where can i find unbiased info about the sustem and games?

Well, we try to be unbiased, here - even if we get a little bit excited about new things sometimes, there's always someone else around with a different view to put things in perspective.