Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Jesus fuck, someone's actually reviewed ArmA 2 - PC

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

ArmA2 - PC

Introduction
Right, ArmA2 isn't your normal FPS game, lets get that out of the way, it comes from the remarkably small pile of games that call themselves milsim. They're easily recognised by being utterly fucking nails, deeply frustrating, and played by people who care far, far too much about their erotic, pseudo-realistic military fanatasies. Like Friz.

Anyway, as far as the Genre goes, ArmA2 is the new shiny one, and not as evil as previous games. I'm gonna review this msotly from the point of view of the 5punk online campaigns, because well, that's what I play and enjoy. We'll go past other stuff on the way, but mostly this is 5punk gameplay oriented.

Gameplay
The 5punk games are long lasting persistant world capture the island type things (we have a base, have to capture cities from the russians) we have a few things to make it less painful (teleport to special APC bases, parachutes, auto respawning helicopters that can airlift most things) and you get to have AI troops if you want them.

Mostly it removes a lot of the fucking about getting around, but remains pretty milsimmy once you're there.

Combat is very simmy, but not excessively so, mostly, worth wearing a ghillie suit though.

The command interface is fucked up and backwards, but usable enough to do the job. mostly.

Sights and Sounds
ArmA2 is reasonably pretty it looks good, but not great. Mostly strikes me as quite understated, the world's there to fuck around in, not look at. That's not to say it's an ugly game, it just does as much as it needs to and doesn't go over the top. Actually, it does but once you turn post-processing off, it just gets on with it.

The post-processing does make the game look prettier, but it's needless and IMO spoils the experience. does make for really, really pretty screenshots though.

The audio is pretty decent, sometimes the sound levels are more realistic than balanced, so certain vehciles can be extremely loud.

It's also worth mentioning the in game VOIP, just because it's really well designed, with channels for the vehicle you're in, your team, everyone, local area, etc.

Stuff that sucks
The interface, really, just no, I don't want to talk about it. It's clunky and poorly laid out but usable enough to get by, unfortunately it doesn't really let you use the AI to its potential.

Conclusion
ArmA2 isn't for everyone, but if you can get past the backwards interface, there's a good, rewarding co-op game that lets you choose how to play, what you do, and gives you a fairly open world to fuck around in.

Given I've put over 210 hours into this game since we started playing it, I'd say I've gotten my monies worth, and then some.

Anyway, I'm gonna give this 2 scores, the first is for people that think Joint ops is fun, and that swat 4 has a simple control set. The other is for people who believe CoD4 is the pinnacle of gaming, and that the xbox controller is the best thing ever.

As a weird coop milsim:
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: 8/10

As an action FPS:
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: 4/10
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

No ArmA2 review is really complete without mentioning the one thing that sets Bohemia games apart from other meagre attempts (like Codemaster's Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, which was brown and bad): namely, modability. Arma2 ships with a very powerful built in mission editor and ready made scripts (called modules) which you can use to throw together user made missions easily. There's also a fully implemented C++ style scripting language which is very accessable for more advanced fettling, and a full suite of 3D editors for creating new weapons and vehicles.

As you can imagine then, there are already a host of mods around and more appearing that cover everything from new weapons and vehicles (F16's, Landrovers, Cheytac sniper rifles etc), to graphics and sound enhancements, AI improvements and even a change to the modelling on tanks to simulate armour penetration better.

And yes, someone is actually working on an interface mod...
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

If that interface mod works and is good, I might give this a second chance, there's no way in hell I can remember that many buttons.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I actually really like the sound of Arma. Am I right in thinking that enemy npcs continue to act even when no one is logged into the server?

Will probably get when new PC arrives.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Roman Totale wrote:I actually really like the sound of Arma. Am I right in thinking that enemy npcs continue to act even when no one is logged into the server?

Will probably get when new PC arrives.
In this particular map we're running, yes (ish). They will continue to patrol the town at the main objective (until they run out of fuel and cause a massive traffic jam at the petrol station, cos they fail at refuelling). You'll also continue to get periodic spetnaz drops on our base and random patrols wandering around trashing stuff. Logging in after a day or two usually involves a massive fire fight to retake our own base, rebuild all the trashed buildings and repair the busted vehicles before we can obliterate the enemy again. It's limited to this so they don't take over the world while we're asleep, though there is another map type where the enemy is more proactive and that could happen.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Some of the stuff that needs our interaction doesn't happen, but it has enough feeling of life without overwhelming us.

Also, it's £15 off play, so no reason not to give it a go :P
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

On the subject of the UI, it's not actually that bad in the 5punk games.

Only time you really use it is if you're commanding AI, and even then the basic functions are in the mousewheel and spacebar menus, not hidden in obscure places.