Wars Of Guild 2

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Wars Of Guild 2

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Wait, the game is going to cost £50? That's a hard pill to swallow. I won't write it off completely like I do other games, because playing SWTOR would cost that for two months' play, but that's a precedent I don't like.
Well Guild Wars 1 is the only precedent for a content-rich MMO with no subscription fee or in-game item store. Sure, you had to pay for the expansions, but the base game was like £30 for seven years and counting of persistent characters and running servers. You could easily have spent a grand on WoW in that time.

I wasn't expecting it to be quite that much though, and it may well put me off getting it at launch, even though in the long run it may work out excellent value. Something like £30 for a month's play, then £20 for a lifetime sub would be a model I'd prefer - as it is, it's likely to have to be 2 month's worth of games money, but I'll have to start a month later than everyone else.

I'm sure we're not alone in thinking it's a bit much to pay in one go, which may hurt the game's launch. It should however retain players better after the initial interest, as for that price even people who were just trying it out will want at least a couple of months out of it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

£50 is a lot of monies, and would maybe put me off a game I was less sure about. I've heard nothing but good things about this though, so I'm probably still going to get it.

It reminds me of a little while back, when a couple of MMOs tried a "lifetime subscription" thing. Iirc, a few 5punkers bought them, and they were a lot more than £50. Although a lot of us decided that it was too much money to spend, I don't remember anyone saying it cost more than it should have. I wonder, if the choice was "£50 for GW2 for life, or a normal MMO subscription fee", how different would the reaction be?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Joose wrote:£50 is a lot of monies, and would maybe put me off a game I was less sure about. I've heard nothing but good things about this though, so I'm probably still going to get it.

It reminds me of a little while back, when a couple of MMOs tried a "lifetime subscription" thing. Iirc, a few 5punkers bought them, and they were a lot more than £50. Although a lot of us decided that it was too much money to spend, I don't remember anyone saying it cost more than it should have. I wonder, if the choice was "£50 for GW2 for life, or a normal MMO subscription fee", how different would the reaction be?
I don't think anyone's saying it's too much, or not worth it - just that it's a lot of money to spend in one go. Even though signs are good, it is still a gamble and £50 could buy you two games you know you will spend a lot of time playing, or roughly 6 months of another MMO.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

RPS preview of the beta looks very promising, particularly the group quest dynamic which looks to be not only improved since Rift (which was already pretty good) on but made the main PvE component of the game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03 ... a-preview/
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Pre-purchases are now open. However, without a release date, or even a date for the first beta weekend, I'm waiting out. Cheapest I have seen so far are Tesco but they haven't listed it for sale yet.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'll be pre-ordering as soon as I see it on sale somewhere at a moderate discount. Or on Steam. Hopefully both.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I am a bit of a nutter for this game, I played GW a lot (30 point Hall of Monuments - thats all the "free" stuff you can get) so I have already pre-purchased the CE of 2. According to Zavvi they have already shipped the product to me and I should expect it in 2 - 3 days, I'm not sure how that is possible given that release is at best a few months away, unless the CE is already put together but the game isn't active.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Anery wrote:I'm not sure how that is possible given that release is at best a few months away, unless the CE is already put together but the game isn't active.
They are not producing game discs, so that's why they can ship it already. Sucks for anyone with crap internet i.e. me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Looks like Game are stocking the pre-order for £39.99, which is a tenner cheaper than anywhere else.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

The first Beta Weekend Event for pre-purchasers starts at 8pm, is anyone else in it?

I'll be sure to write up my feelings at some point during and/or after, but is there any specific things anyone would like to know? I'll do my best to find out.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Joose got in, I think.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Thompy wrote:The first Beta Weekend Event for pre-purchasers starts at 8pm, is anyone else in it?
Yup, im in it. Annoyingly im away for the weekend as of tomorrow morning, but Im going to get at least a couple hours in tonight.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Thompy wrote:...is there any specific things anyone would like to know?
Yeah, is it any good? :P

Particularly interested in the combat mechanics and levelling/class system which are meant to be something quite new apparently. If it's just going to be more stand and mash buttons WoW style that'd be a bit meh.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

So far, the login screen is lovely. Character creation is a little more interesting than your average MMO. And thats all ive managed to see, as it keeps crashing/booting me out. I suspect server overload, so im giving up for now. I have to get up early tomorrow (early for a weekend, anyway) to see the family, so I may just get up an hour earlier than I would have and give it a go over breakfast.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

This is probably as close as I will ever get to live blogging.

Character creation has been covered by many people many times so I won't go into it too much, yes it is nice, it has all the usual stuff; body size, hair type, the most customisable is the face. The is no boob slider but there is a weird button that removes the armour (phwoar, pixels)
I decided to go with something I probably won't play when the game is released; a female, human, elementalist. She wears the sign of water, overcomes her troubles with charm and was raised amongst the nobility. Her biggest regret is that she never ran away with the circus but she is blassed by Melandru (nature goddess) and her name is Jen Eric

Pastel cutscene.
Ooh, Ascalon. BOom Ascalon, I remember that. Background, background, background, my choices in character creation are reiterated here. Apparently I am going to batter some centaurs, nooooo! Caiiiiiine!

Playtime!

Hmm, in a village on fire (the village is on fire, not me) centaurs! I have something like an auto attack that once I activate on an enemy will continue casting whenever off CD, it sets people on fire! Killed a few of them but apparently I need to go to the pub, ok. Hmm, pastel cutscene conversation - no conversation options like SWTOR. Captain Thackery is mentioned, GW vets know him - well, we know his ancestors anyway.

Oh, I can change my attunement, after fighting off several centaur I have unlocked 2 new skills for fire, I should switch to water and unlock those too. Again, the first skill is auto attack when activated.

First event, defend the gate. It just popped up when I entered the area, looks like I am the first one here but others soon get here. I've unlocked two more skills for staff, water ones - one which heals allies and damages enemies. I get a cowbell thing for helping. A brief tutorial on map reading follows and I equip the cowbell - two more skills to unlock (each weapon type unlocks skills to use, you have to use that weapon to unlock them)

I can jump! In Guild Wars! Jumping! without "/" woo!

Movement in combat is nice, no hanging around whilst something casts you can move and duck and dodge whilst casting - a very nice touch which instantly makes combat feel more involved. Ducking, has a seperate resource bar that regenerates. i've unlocked all the water skills now, back to fire to get the other two for the trinket with that element. Fire is a LOT more powerful, definately more for killing than water was. I am exploding shit, and it feels GOOD!

I've spotted what looks like a cave. Of course I am going in.

It's a hideout for a gang of kids playing, and a shortcut back to the village. My mail tells me I need to head back to Divinitys Reach. Time to go to the big city!

Err, this looks huge.

Massive.

I can hear snippits of conversation as I run around, I can stop and listen if I want. Oooh, map is a bit like google earth, it zooms nicely.

As I am travelling I open up waypoints, I think these are fast travel points, and also open up a "completion" bar, it shows a percentage. Fuck. Thats a bit, aaaaaarhg, must have 100%...

No dance emote yet.

More tomorrow, today, later...
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sounds pretty much so far so MMO, with a few nice bits thrown in. Not that it's a criticism, I'm very keen on playing this game.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Sounds pretty much so far so MMO, with a few nice bits thrown in.
Yeah, it is still very MMO. It does seem excellent so far, with the combat a lot more interesting than most MMOs, the quest system works a lot smoother and feels more natural, like you are just helping out and reacting to the situation rather than ticking off a checklist. Having said that, the combat is still basically "Select thing, click on button till dead".

The quest thing is....weird. Its very good, but...well, it seems like they havent so much got rid of the old system of people with floating punctuation and ticklists, rather they have hidden it very well. For instance, when you go in to a new area there is a dude that will tell you what is happening around you, where you can go to do stuff, etc. So really instead of quest givers being scattered around all over, there is one quest giver that gives all the quests.

Dont get me wrong, it is a vast improvement over the old system and works exceptionally well. Its just that although it is very different, its not *completely* different.

I really ought to be driving and not here right now, so I shall do a brief list of first impressions:

Graphics: Good. Its not technically amazing, but its beautifully designed.
Cities: By MMO standards, the capital cities are sodding huge. They are the closest I think anyone has come to making a place look like a believable city, rather than the WoW style mini-cities.
Fights: Interesting. Im still fairly early level, but so far it seems promising. I particularly like the fact that you can still get stuck in even if you are way lower level, you just have to be a lot more careful and stick to the sidelines, doing things like rezzing the fallen (something anyone can do), piling on buffs and taking out low level stragglers.
Story/character creation: There is an actual story to your character, which makes it stand out more than most MMOs. Not quite to the same degree as SWTOR, but I think that could actually work in its favour. It ties in with the character creation too, which has more to it than the normal MMO standard of pick race, pick class, pick your hair colour, done.

Overall, I give it :likesitall: out of :dalek: for first impressions.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh! I thought of a couple of questions:

Does it have the same server system as GW? I.e., you can swap between shards at will rather than being stuck on one server?

Do you still have the MMO thing where you have a systematic placement of monsters who have overlapping aggro ranges, meaning any travel requires a Pokemon-style mass murder of the wildlife?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:Does it have the same server system as GW? I.e., you can swap between shards at will rather than being stuck on one server?
So far it looks like you're stuck to the server, which is a shame.

I've tried a Mesmer this time - a class I avoided like the plague previously. Seems quite fun. Confused by the skills though - you don't seem to be able to view any sort of skills tree to see what goodies are coming up in later levels. In fact, I can't see what skills I currently have unless I just hover over them in the skills tray.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The guy who made this randomly followed me on Twitter. Since he looked to be a gamer, rather than a spammer, and on the assumption that he was trying to drum up some attention from other gamers I looked him up. This is his video on Guild Wars 2:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGmSHrT-p0[/media]

He seems pretty lively and articulate to me, and it was interesting watching the footage. I'm not convinced by the huge frame he puts on the video; although it serves a nice bookmark function it's kind of wasted space.