Recommended Reading

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Roman Totale wrote:Talking of zombies, I today found out about Marvel Zombies - a short comic in which all of the super heroes from the Marvel Universe are turned into zambahs (I particularly like the picture of Cyclops firing laser beams from his eyes, but with his head tucked under his arm).

Has anyone else ever read these? They rather groovy.

I've actually got this sitting on my book shelf but only read the first couple of pages yet, it's written by the same bloke that did The Walking Dead which Dog Pants has mentioned and is brilliant. Should be made into a TV series. The only problem is that is has nasty cliffhangers and there's many months between books. :(

If I get time this weekend I'll read Marvel Zombies and let you know what I think.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote:The only problem is that is has nasty cliffhangers and there's many months between books. :(

And Amazon emailed me last month to tell me that the next book had been delayed again :roll:
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Stoat wrote:I've been wondering about trying his stuff after reading his effort with Terry Pratchett in Good Omens.

I read that and was wanting to try more of his stuff too, so tried American Gods and lo, it was good. Was expecting something slightly more Prachettesque, but once I'd accepted that it wasn't going to be I really enjoyed it. Want to try more of his stuff now.

Was in Waterstones yesterday trying to find something to read but couldn't remember a single damn book mentioned here and my phone browser can't even cope with the lo-fi version of the forum! :roll: Written a few down now though, and might try James Herbert, Alastair Reynolds and Iain M Banks.

In the meantime I'm getting hold of the Prachett books I haven't read yet and am currently halfway through Guards! Guards!. I definitely think Vimes and the Watch are my favourite set of characters. Only started reading Discworld about 18 months ago after my Dad sat next to Prachett at some dinner and got chatting about books, having never read any of his. I now own about 2/3rds of what he has written so far, and am working on the rest.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just finished World War Z. Fantastic book, I could only put it down when my legs went numb sat on the throne. It worries me that someone can go into that level of detail about a zombie apocalypse.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants wrote:Just finished World War Z. Fantastic book, I could only put it down when my legs went numb sat on the throne

exactly that :above:

Dog Pants wrote:It worries me that someone can go into that level of detail about a zombie apocalypse.

it's called "being prepared" :lol:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Mr. Johnson wrote:it's called "being prepared" :lol:

*Starts doing the same*

Pants's zombie apocalypse shopping list:

Bite-proof combats interwoven with kevlar
Sharpened shovel for removing zombie heads
Bolt action rifle to ensure every shot is aimed
Phosphor rounds to burn up the zombie braaaaains
Dog to sniff out infected people
HAM radio for directing supply drops and helping out downed pilots
Enough supplies for three years
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

Has anyone read:

The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind series
-or-
The Death Gate Cycle - Weis+Hickman series

I read the 1st of each back when they were first released as paperbacks and collected the rest. I enjoyed them quite a bit, yet, PC Gaming took over my life...namely Everquest. If you have read these, would you suggest I still read them or something else?

And I'll get to that American Gods book soon...
eion
Grammar Nazi
Grammar Nazi

Post by eion »

MORDETH LESTOK wrote:And I'll get to that American Gods book soon...

You should, it's aces.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just read the next (sixth I think) Walking Dead book. I don't know how much it cost me because I ordered it in January, but it seemed to be over pretty quickly. Doesn't look any thinner than the other books though so maybe I'm just reading them faster. Still good reading, although this one seems a lot less about zombies and a lot more about people. I get the impression that this book is an Empire Strikes Back style filler between two big events.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:I get the impression that this book is an Empire Strikes Back style filler between two big events.

But, but...Empire Strikes Back was best of the three!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Roman Totale wrote:
But, but...Empire Strikes Back was best of the three!

:above: that!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

True, but I mean it in the sense that it's a sort of stop-gap.
cheeseandham
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by cheeseandham »

I'm surprised no ones mentioned Douglas Adams yet....

The man was a genius...
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

cheeseandham wrote:I'm surprised no ones mentioned Douglas Adams yet....

Weird, I suspect people just assume everyone's read Douglas Adams or something (probably a safe assumption on the internet)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I tried reading HHGTTG on holiday but really couldn't get into it. It was weird reading what I'd seen in the TV version in an almost identical way. I don't know why it put me off, but it did.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

Dog Pants wrote:I tried reading HHGTTG on holiday but really couldn't get into it. It was weird reading what I'd seen in the TV version in an almost identical way. I don't know why it put me off, but it did.

SHUUUUUUUUNNNNN! SHUUUUUUUNNNNNNN HEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Anhamgrimmar wrote:SHUUUUUUUUNNNNN! SHUUUUUUUNNNNNNN HEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMM!

:above: That, Hard!

As far as Douglas Adams goes, I'd suggest Last chance to see, It's a fairly interesting read (I read it in one sitting in a train station) and moderately amusing, in the Douglas Adams way.
cheeseandham
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by cheeseandham »

I must admit I prefer the radio series to the books by a small margin.

Simon Jones as Arthur Dent and Geoffrey McGivern as Ford Prefect just give the best performance in the galaxy (it just doesn't compare to the film, they don't even play in the same division) and I can listen to them time and time again...
eion
Grammar Nazi
Grammar Nazi

Post by eion »

cheeseandham wrote:I must admit I prefer the radio series to the books by a small margin.

:above: This (of course, the radio play came first).

Also, I've met the guy who produced the radio play a couple of times, and he's an ace bloke.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I would also recommend the 'Dirk Gently' books by Adams. Dirk is a "holistic detective" in that he believes that all things are inter-connected, and combines elements of quantum physics, chaos theory, Coleridge and pizza.